Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

sk8

I've got a few stomp boxes (Listed in my sig) and i'm considering ditching them for a Zoom. I appear to be going backwards in that i've bought singles and now decided what i like and am thinking about a multi!

I don't use my effects so don't know if i can justify having seperates

What are your thoughts?

odd - i was having this same conversation with a guitar friend of mine who was asking me why i use separate pedals and not a multi-fx.

multi-fx pedals just tend to have stuff i never use on them like reverbs and delays, pitch-shifters and so on, so i stick to pedals...

also i tend to use a couple of different overdrives and cascade them to get different sounds, which has always seemed more difficult with multis...

each to their own in the end though.

but if you [i]do[/i] decide to ditch the nano small stone, bung me a pm !

I have a B2 which now I only ever use as a practice amp (into headphones) or as a tuner, also have a Behringer V-Amp Pro (rack mount thingy) and have never used the effects on it, am slowly building up a small pedal collection.

I like the idea of multi effects but in reality need the tangibility of pedals - maybe this will change when I get bored enough to spend some real time programming the B2 or the V-Amp :)

I started out with a Behringer V-amp pro, but was never really happy with it. I sold it and got a shedload of single pedals, which all sounded nice, but realistically I was only using less than 10% of the time. I've ended up ditching the majority of singles and getting a Yamaha Bass MagicStomp, which gives me the best of both worlds.

I think multi-effects are great, but, it's not as though they're making a B9.2U yet :-/

aphook's point is very important. I use a B2.1U, but in congunction with other pedals for different sounds. If you can do everything you want with a simple multi though, it's obviously a lot easier at gigs. I wish I could just tap 1 footswitch every time I want to change my sound, as opposed to 3 or 4 etc.

[quote name='sk8' post='72633' date='Oct 11 2007, 09:47 AM']the yamaha looks interesting[/quote]

the effects sound really nice, the downside is that there is a slight gap when switching between different effects patches. Not an issue for me (so far) because I use a separate disto and filter/synth, but it is something to bear in mind. I've not really got into editing the patches yet, but you can connect it up to a pc to do it which makes life easier.

To bablance up the discussion, Yes I do agree that single pedals are better in that you can pick and choose what you really need. However buying 20 boutique pedals and all those power supplies, special cases.. leads lahdee dah dee dah is an expensive business.

That money could go towards a very high end rack system, no switching delay, no hisses and buzzes, no dodgy lead problems.. and best of all, much much lighter and easier to carry ;o)

If you use a handful of pedals.. fair enough, but I will have to differ on opinion when it comes to a stage full of pedals!

If you want your organic signal being broken down into lots of little 0s and 1s before being rebuilt into an approximation of your original signal, go for one of the boss multieffects.

If you want your signal to be your signal, not what a computer thinks is your signal, go all analog stompboxes.

[quote]If you want your organic signal being broken down into lots of little 0s and 1s before being rebuilt into an approximation of your original signal, go for one of the boss multieffects.

If you want your signal to be your signal, not what a computer thinks is your signal, go all analog stompboxes.[/quote]

+1

Edited by BigBassBob

[quote name='dood' post='72999' date='Oct 11 2007, 06:44 PM']To bablance up the discussion, Yes I do agree that single pedals are better in that you can pick and choose what you really need. However buying 20 boutique pedals and all those power supplies, special cases.. leads lahdee dah dee dah is an expensive business.

That money could go towards a very high end rack system, no switching delay, no hisses and buzzes, no dodgy lead problems.. and best of all, much much lighter and easier to carry ;o)[/quote]

Sorry to hijack but what are the products out there for rack mounted effects for bass? What's good and what's not?

Thanks

Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='74716' date='Oct 15 2007, 06:42 PM']Sorry to hijack but what are the products out there for rack mounted effects for bass? What's good and what's not?

Thanks

Sean[/quote]

Well, if you are the sort of person to be upset about your 1's and 0's, I would suggest any high end rack wont rape your tone and also give you some really good quality FX.

I highly recommend the TC Electronics G-Force, that I have been using for years.. and it still holds its own up against 'newer' rack effects.. but to be honest, very few on the market actually have a spec even close.

You can pick up its little brother, the G-Major and also the very new G-System that my guitarist uses now.

If you can find the now discontinued Lexicon MPX-G2 and foot controller you have a great piece of kit with top quality effecs.. but I understand its a bit fiddley to get used to routing effects.

There are various other racks out there, by the likes of Digitech, ART, Boss, Roland, Alesis and obviously, if you have a bit of cash the inspiring Eventide racks!

TC for me everytime. I am VERY fussy about the 'quality' of my effects / noise and stuff like seemless morphing.. I have also spent far too much money on racks!

[quote name='Toasted' post='74117' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:56 PM']If you want your organic signal being broken down into lots of little 0s and 1s before being rebuilt into an approximation of your original signal, go for one of the boss multieffects.

If you want your signal to be your signal, not what a computer thinks is your signal, go all analog stompboxes.[/quote]

Yep, that's good balanced advice!

Heh, I thought it was a bit unbalanced really. I don't want to start a big debate, but, there's nothing inherently better about "analog" than "digital". Look at the amount of tone freaks with digital delays at the end of their chain. Just because a chip is processing your sound, doesn't mean your sound is being messed up. I use a very nice organic sounding digital OD, for example.

Anyway, to retain some "organic feel" just use a bit of dry mixed with your horrid digital effects.

What's that mean "immediate signal chain"? Just a subtle way of recognising that you're going to need some digital processing at some point?

I suppose if you use a lot of digital pedals, you could argue that your signal is being sampled over and over again, creating more and more errors. You'd have to have a lot of crap pedals to hear it though.

Arguably, it would be better to plug straight into a digital multi-fx where your signal is sampled right at the start, and then processed 100% digitally until it comes out and goes to your amp, which would be just A-D-D-A. Rather than have a load of analog boutiqe pedals with a couple of digital delays at the end, where you would have A-D-D-A-A-D-D-A if you know what I mean?

Anyway, yes, I like that everyone has different opinions, otherwise we'd all sound the same, and I wouldn't feel so speshul!