Why become a member? ×

One year back in the saddle

elom

Checking through some stuff tonight I came across an old receipt from Mansons and realised that is exactly one year since I returned to the bass playing fold. This has made me think a little bit about what this has meant to me. So I hope you will forgive me if this post is slightly self-indulgent but at least I will keep it short!

The potted history: I played bass from the age of 15 to 20 with no great talent but plenty of enthusiasm. I started again last year aged 37.

I think now that I had been wanting to take it up again for years but was afraid that either I would be no good or would be too old to gig, which is what I really wanted to do. It took a little while for me to actually pluck up the courage to go into a music shop. I'm fortunate to have a good local shop, who treated me just right - when you pick up a bass for the first time in 17 years you want to be in a soundproof booth on your own, not in front of a bunch of competent musicians! This next bit sounds really corny but it's true so I'll say it anyway. It just felt so right to be holding a bass after such a long time. I sort of remembered a basic twelve bar progression and tentatively felt my way around. When I left I knew that I would be coming back. The next week I did and emerged with my new bass (a Bass Collection Speakeasy). No going back now!

Since that time I've formed a rock/indie covers band with a great bunch of guys and have spent the last 6 months gigging regularly around the county. Much like my earlier incarnation as a bass player I still have no great talent but I still have that enthusiasm. If you want a free-form jazz jam then I'm gonna stand in the corner and look embarrassed but I know our set list backwards and perform with some small measure of gusto. In short, I bloody love it!

The other side of this is that it has re-awakened my passion for music in general. I listen to more music and much more new stuff than I did previously. I go to gigs again, whereas before it had been years since I'd been to one. Playing bass again, being back in a band has reinvigorated me. I have no illusions about what it is that I do but I do know that I have a great time and that my life in general is much richer for being a gigging bass player again. It would not be possible to go back.

What does all this mean? Not much really but I just felt the need to say it!

elom

Guest subaudio

Hey Elom

Great post, I'm also 37 and music is just as much, if not more important than it ever was, sometimes it's good to have a break, I have had a few periods of not playing at all and always seem to come back with a different perspective and approach which I feel improves my playing.

Good on ya

Edited by subaudio

I'm 52 - playing in a band keeps me sane and young at heart. The thing that amazes me since I've been playing bass (I've been a gigging guitarist since puberty) is that I 'feel' the music now and feel closer to my instrument somehow. I never got that playing guitar where you just go through the boring strumming process looking forward to your next lead break.

elom, i am kinda in exactly the same position aas you, i only came back to it around this time last year, maybe a month or two earlier after an 8 year break, joined a band straight away borrowed a bass and amp for a while then bought one for myself. and yeah it just felt right. just had one gig got another next weekend then we have a bit of a break so new stuff to do.
feels good dunnit!

Looks like it's been a popular time for this recently!

I'm 33 and just got back into it at the start of this year. Hadn't been in a band in seven years and had only really been a bass player for about 2 years then - out of necessity as I'd always just been a singer. I've still got my first bass that I bought when I was about 18 that I never really did much with.

Also joined a band, back in May. Had my first ever audition and got the gig! For the first time I'll be playing a wedding at the end of this month.

Loving it!

Aye, i had a long break from bass and what a differnce to my life its made being back in a band, lots of new mates, go to more gigs than ever and at 39 i'm enjoying it a lot more than i did when i was 19! :)

mid life crisis? dinna be daft! just lovin life! (thanks to being a bassist)

Just finished rehearsing Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners last night......made me glad I picked up playing again last year after my son was born. 40 next year but still act like a 16yr old at gigs, although I cant jump so high nowadays, then again, neither can Bruce Foxton.

[quote name='16Again' post='73384' date='Oct 12 2007, 03:22 PM']Aye, i had a long break from bass and what a differnce to my life its made being back in a band, lots of new mates, go to more gigs than ever and at 39 i'm enjoying it a lot more than i did when i was 19! :)

mid life crisis? dinna be daft! just lovin life! (thanks to being a bassist)[/quote]

Ok, Im going to set up a "Born in 68" Club for BCers. Any takers?