Why become a member? ×

Picato strings

The Goatreich

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread alert!

Just bought a new set of picato 45-100 flats and on comparing them to the supposedly identical set I bought at the end of last year already on my primary P Bass I notice that the construction of the strings seems different.

It looks like they are using much finer windings and now have black silk at the top and bottom, after installing them I also realised that they have significantly less tension than the initial set I bought. Its weird because they really remind me of the status hotwires I bought for my jazz, same windings, comparable tension and black silks on the top and bottom.

Not massively bothered as I still have the great first set but its kind of weird that they should change, and that they should so closely resemble the status strings.

Anyone else with experience of the brand noticed a change recently?

• 1 year later...

I had a set of of the 5 string flatwound delivered on Monday the 11th Jan', put hem on,,,,,,,,,,B string dead and un tuneable, E string dead. Called Strings direct, was promised replacements, still waitin ,:(
Used almost every set of strings available over 45 years of playing, and i have to say these are the worst i have ever tried, may have well used wool!!.
Do yourself a favour, stay away from Picato, Fender flat wounds are cheaper and better, pity they don't do 5 string sets.

What's the status of Picato strings at the moment? I know that Innovation double bass strings, which were made in the Picato factory, have had availability issues recently because the factory was closing. They have said that Innovation production will continue at a new site, but I don't know what that means for the Picato lines. Perhaps Daf Lewis could clarify, since he has worked with Innovation/Picato.

• 1 month later...

Just been into Noble's music in Whitchurch (Cardiff) to pick up a nickel 5 string set, and Clive Noble said Picato now have the backing of those who import Ernie Ball strings and Basses.
Picato strings are still made in Treorchy says he in the know. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
20 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Are Picato still going? Has anyone used their rounds recently? 

No, they went out of business quite a while back now.  You can still find some NOS around.  They are decent strings (were standard install on Wals for many years).

Edited by franzbassist

21 hours ago, franzbassist said:

No, they went out of business quite a while back now.  You can still find some NOS around.  They are decent strings (were standard install on Wals for many years).

A real shame as their flats and halfrounds in particular were fantastic.  They did seem to change the recipe towards the end though and their newer flats were never quite as good as the original silkless ones

On 02/02/2024 at 13:53, Pow_22 said:

A real shame as their flats and halfrounds in particular were fantastic.  They did seem to change the recipe towards the end though and their newer flats were never quite as good as the original silkless ones

I agree, I have a set of their silkless flats and really like the feel of them, I bought another set a few years later and they appeared to be rebadged Chromes..