Why become a member? ×

Picato strings

The Goatreich

I've been offered discount with Picato strings and was wondering whether anyone has and good or bad experiences with them? They're cheap as chips, which is what worries me, but in order to take advantage of the discount I need to buy in bulk, so don't really want to spend that much money if I'm going to end up with a load of sets of strings I don't like.

I've always used Rotosounds Swing bass 5-string and got on very well with them, but they are very expensive.

[quote name='The Goatreich' post='666030' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:14 AM']I've been offered discount with Picato strings and was wondering whether anyone has and good or bad experiences with them? They're cheap as chips, which is what worries me, but in order to take advantage of the discount I need to buy in bulk, so don't really want to spend that much money if I'm going to end up with a load of sets of strings I don't like.

I've always used Rotosounds Swing bass 5-string and got on very well with them, but they are very expensive.[/quote]

I have a Picato deal and find them more than adequate.

I've used the nickel rounds for years (on and off) and also the flats. The flats are nice - just like flats used to be. The rounds are good, perfectly usable but not as nice as the DR or Thomastik I normally use. Having said that, they are around half the price, or even a third of the UK price for DR's.

Pete the Fish used to fit Picato's as the factory strings in the later days of Wal..and Mo Clifton uses them for extra long/short custom strings for his designs (short scales with a heavy core wire). If you are a down- tuner I'd talk to them for suggestions?

As with all deals, try them first.

Good call on asking them for advice, I honestly hadn't thought of that! I'm currently only changing strings every 6 months or so unless I've done a lot of gigs in that time, and find Rotosounds stand the test of time very well without losing brightness, this is something I'd also be looking for in an ideal world also.

Cheers for the advice.

I was given a set of Picato Nicks for my Lakalnd DJ5 recently.

They felt slightly higher tension to me and this changed the feel of my bass a bit. They felt very close to Elixirs and although thats not a bad thing i prefer something a bit looser on this bass. Also the B string is a bit thicker than im used to (.130) although i didnt find it a big problem.
Tone wise they were great, close enough to XLS to make me think twice about paying almost double for the D'Addario's although i felt the went dead quite quickly. Ive done 5 long gigs with them though.

For the money i think they are hard to beat though and while im much happier with Lakland strings on this bass i wouldn't be adverse to another set at some point.

Edited by dave_bass5

I was looking for some double ball flats for my hohner B2A. Strings direct managed to get some in from picato for me and they are perfect. They've been on the bass for a few years and still sound great (although I don't tend to use the bass much). They're certainly better than any rotosounds I've ever used in that the windings are consistent string-to-string as is the tone.

I've been using various sets, flat and round, single and double ball for a fair while now and I like them, even more so because (as suggested above) you can approach them for custom or altered strings if needed. (Headless 5 string flatwound? No probs!) Managed to drop in to see them as well, while on holiday down Pembrokeshire way.
On the rounds I go for the stainless rather than nickel, but I don't change regularly enough to exactly compare life. I definitely have no complaints.
Next to try are the Halfrounds, also currently trying a couple of their Innovation double bass strings - will be getting a whole set soon as!
I was put off by the low price (daft as it sounds) for far too long (D'oh!).. now I'll happily say good things about them.
Of course, you make up your own mind in the end.

[quote name='redstriper' post='669214' date='Nov 29 2009, 04:35 PM']I'd like to try Picato flats - where can I get them cheap as chips ?[/quote]
[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/4346"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4346[/url] if £20 posted floats your bass- playing boat.
Say you're on basschat and Hugh said it's ok to get a discount.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='The Goatreich' post='666030' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:14 PM']I've been offered discount with Picato strings and was wondering whether anyone has and good or bad experiences with them? They're cheap as chips, which is what worries me, but in order to take advantage of the discount I need to buy in bulk, so don't really want to spend that much money if I'm going to end up with a load of sets of strings I don't like.

I've always used Rotosounds Swing bass 5-string and got on very well with them, but they are very expensive.[/quote]
Great strings,great service. Why pay over the odds when Picato stand up to the blindfold test against Rotosound etc?Guitar Tech Nazareth.

[quote name='The Goatreich' post='666030' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:14 PM']I've been offered discount with Picato strings and was wondering whether anyone has and good or bad experiences with them? They're cheap as chips, which is what worries me, but in order to take advantage of the discount I need to buy in bulk, so don't really want to spend that much money if I'm going to end up with a load of sets of strings I don't like.

I've had an endorsee account with Picato for some years and have always been very happy with them. Generally use nickel rounds, various gauges on 4s and 5s, passive and active. Well balanced tone to my ears and as durable or better than many other brands I've tried. Fantastic value and very friendly service from the folks down at Treorchy

I've just tried some Picato flatwounds on my Jazz - they're nicely made and very smooth, but are easily the darkest sounding flats I've experienced. Much darker than the 9-month old D'addario Chromes I swiftly changed back to. They have a good big pillowy thump to the attack though - If I played dub they'd be just the thing, but as it is, they're not for me.

• 2 years later...

Noticed this post so I thought I would revive it.

I am really into my nickel strings at the moment and as I like the picato flats so much I thought I would five the nickels a try, what do you guys think of them? What kind of sounds do they produce and how long do they last roughly?

Pretty good strings all round and stocked and well priced by my local music shop

Im using 35 - 95 Nickels ( rounds ) on a few basses and they hold up well .. bright enough and lasting a few weeks without dulling down too much Id give them a string rating of 7 and an additional point on price

Last weeks deal was a tenner a set too ...Happy days ..

Gary
v8

[quote name='v8bass' timestamp='1352678356' post='1866140']
Pretty good strings all round and stocked and well priced by my local music shop

Im using 35 - 95 Nickels ( rounds ) on a few basses and they hold up well .. bright enough and lasting a few weeks without dulling down too much Id give them a string rating of 7 and an additional point on price

Last weeks deal was a tenner a set too ...Happy days ..

Gary
v8
[/quote]

Ahh cool im struggling to find dealers that supply Picato nickel strings, which store do you go for yours?

JPL in Barry has a pretty decent selection 35 / 40/ 45 plus flats and occassionaly Stainless too

iirc they are or used to be supplied from Bedwas ...

retails on Nickels £12.95 ask nicely and you might get the deal of the day

If you need a set let me know

Gary
v8

In fact I have a set of 40 s if you need them .. let me know and say a tenner posted on .?

Set 735 LHY 40 60 80 100 Long scale Nickel RW

[quote name='v8bass' timestamp='1352743604' post='1866898']
JPL in Barry has a pretty decent selection 35 / 40/ 45 plus flats and occassionaly Stainless too

iirc they are or used to be supplied from Bedwas ...

retails on Nickels £12.95 ask nicely and you might get the deal of the day

If you need a set let me know

Gary
v8

In fact I have a set of 40 s if you need them .. let me know and say a tenner posted on .?

Set 735 LHY 40 60 80 100 Long scale Nickel RW
[/quote]

Cool man thanks yea I live in Cardiff so not far to post or I might even pop over there myself. Do they supply 5 string sets too?