Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Magicstomp for bass

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='5964' date='May 24 2007, 07:01 PM']Does anyone have experience of these?

...'future proofed' via software downloads seems too good to be true.

Is it?[/quote]

Afraid it is.
I have one myself and although Ive not checked recently,in the 2/3 years Ive had mine Ive not seen ANY sign of Yamaha updating the guitar Magicstomp,let alone even putting up a page for the bass version.
I did even send Yamaha an email asking about when there would be a site available and as yet ahave not recieved an email.Not a single acknowledgement.

Having said that,if you dont mind wading through pages of sub-menus on a tiny screen if you want to adjust settings 'on the fly',ie not near a laptop or PC,and you can handle the delay in switching between banks in multi mode(or whatever it is,not the up/down mode anyway)then it really is a great pedal.
The extensiveness to which you can alter any of the effects is as much its downfall IMO as it is its selling point.Im not sure what half the parameters are on some of them,but Ive found with patience and time you can get some really good things out of it.I did eventually get a great sounding overdrive from the preamp patch,but still can quite get the level to match my clean sound properly due to it being digital and the knobs are still set as in 0.1,0.2,0.3...1.1,1.2 etc and I need it to go between those.May sound petty but the jump betwen 0.1 and 0.2 is pretty big in volume terms.
Also,because of the way the edit function works on the pedal itself,I find it just plain annoying after a while.That would just take way too much time explain properly.
I also have a patch which is delay and pitch shift,where the pitch ascends an octave(I guess you could set that to any pitch)and I think its meant to just be a pitch shifter so Im not sure how I got the sound,but I manage to weird people out with every time :)

Id say,check one out before you buy it and spend some time trying to get your head round it.
Ive not much experience with multi-fx units,though the last band I was in the guitarist had a Korg something or other and he had a delay problem between banks too.I was sold on the updatability(so I could hopefully correct the delay thing)and huge array of parameters,and I was fairly against having any multi-fx,but if you get bored easily,this aint the pedal for you.
Im still fairly against multi-fx :huh: and the overdrive patch I had was a 'tube' fatcory setting that I messed with and now I have a DHA pedal for that.Analouge is way easier to set up!
I think Ill keep the Magicstomp though for those 'special' sounds.Its useflul to have but I wouldnt rely on it for my entire set up.

Anyhoo,sorry for the essay.Hope that was of some help!
Andy

Edited by MoJ