Why become a member? ×

Decisions, Decisions

colda

Okies, I have had the idea of restoring my Vester Stage Series (60's Jazz copy), had basically decided on bunging in a EMG JHZ pickup set and a Badass II bridge getting it cleaned up BUT whilst doing the sound for a band last night (a seven piece that like to swap around their instruments - was a challenge) I noticed the bassist was using a Fretless Squirer Jazz Custom thing and I kinda fell in love

So, do I restore the Vester as planned (also bear in mind it's hardly in mint condition) or do I remove the scratchplate (not that keen on tortoiseshell effect anyway) and defret the thing?

It doesn't really owe me anything (£40 from ebay) but I have grown to become very fond of it, am thinking that the money that I spend on the restore could easily go towards another bass (plus would sell my Washburn T14 to avoid 'too-many-basses-earache' from the missus) which would give me a budget of about £300 (which would prolly be spent on a minty dynabass and a 2x10)

But also I feel like I kinda owe it to the Vester to restore it (being a bit of a sentimental old git)

what to do?

[quote name='colda' post='73295' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:47 PM']Okies, I have had the idea of restoring my Vester Stage Series (60's Jazz copy), had basically decided on bunging in a EMG JHZ pickup set and a Badass II bridge getting it cleaned up BUT whilst doing the sound for a band last night (a seven piece that like to swap around their instruments - was a challenge) I noticed the bassist was using a Fretless Squirer Jazz Custom thing and I kinda fell in love

So, do I restore the Vester as planned (also bear in mind it's hardly in mint condition) or do I remove the scratchplate (not that keen on tortoiseshell effect anyway) and defret the thing?

It doesn't really owe me anything (£40 from ebay) but I have grown to become very fond of it, am thinking that the money that I spend on the restore could easily go towards another bass (plus would sell my Washburn T14 to avoid 'too-many-basses-earache' from the missus) which would give me a budget of about £300 (which would prolly be spent on a minty dynabass and a 2x10)

But also I feel like I kinda owe it to the Vester to restore it (being a bit of a sentimental old git)

what to do?[/quote]
I have exactly the same bass, and I too am very sentimental about it (but it was my first bass). I've got Schaller PUs in mine and that's the only upgrade I've done, it growls like a beast now. Removing the scratchplate will leave you a nasty surprise I expect, a la the Mexi Jazzes - the neck PU is in a big hole rather than a nice tight rout!

[quote name='Merton' post='73299' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:51 PM']I have exactly the same bass, and I too am very sentimental about it (but it was my first bass). I've got Schaller PUs in mine and that's the only upgrade I've done, it growls like a beast now. Removing the scratchplate will leave you a nasty surprise I expect, a la the Mexi Jazzes - the neck PU is in a big hole rather than a nice tight rout![/quote]

Hmmm, I took the scratchplate off when I first got it (as the screws were rusted) and remember liking the look of it without the plate but the screw holes annoyed me - now I dunno if in my mind I thought that it would not be a problem to fill/cover the problems (but the screw holes would never be perfect) - the more I think about it the more I think that this is the case. - Right, so the plate stays/gets replaced/gets decorated :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='73302' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:55 PM']Dont know much about Vester but there is a danger that the pups and bridge will be worth more than the bass and at the end of the days you will have a cheap bass with expensive bits as opposed to getting a better bass.[/quote]

I think that this might well be the case, reading reviews and from my own experience the body is the greatest plus that the bass has, as I've already abused the neck in getting it straight it seems that I'm leaning more to defretting :)