Why become a member? ×

What Strings for UB

Marcus

Hi Guys,

I can't see that this topic has been covered..... apologies if it has...

I'm New to DB and am looking for some new strings for my recently acquired upright !

current strings are like tungsten rope !

looking for something with good bottom, big sound and maybe a bit less tension !

Thanks

Mark

Now that's a bit of a subject - do a search here (?) and on Talkbass, then look at Bob Gollihur's site - his summaries and prices are the best I've seen.

Any idea what's on your bass? Also, what sort of sound are you looking for? Favourite players? Double bass strings vary more in construction, sound and feel than bass guitar strings, and of course cost more so you'll want to think about this one...

I'd suggest Thomastick Spirocores or D'Addario "hybrids" as a good start, unless you're really wanting to use a bow lots.

BB

its the bass (wood) that generates/travels most of the sound, strings are important but nowhere near as important as the energy you put into them. I would suggest learning (preferably from a good tutor) how to impart energy into the string and how to stop the notes (left hand technique, not 'stopping the sound') properly. Not only will these factors make you a better, more efficient player, they will prevent possible injury which is easy to acquire on double bass when playing with poor technique.
Innovation produce some good low tension strings. I have a set of silver slap on my B bass which is good for a thumpy sound with lots of bottom.
hope thats useful
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='BassBod' post='73466' date='Oct 12 2007, 05:10 PM']Now that's a bit of a subject - do a search here (?) and on Talkbass, then look at Bob Gollihur's site - his summaries and prices are the best I've seen.

Any idea what's on your bass? Also, what sort of sound are you looking for? Favourite players? Double bass strings vary more in construction, sound and feel than bass guitar strings, and of course cost more so you'll want to think about this one...

I'd suggest Thomastick Spirocores or D'Addario "hybrids" as a good start, unless you're really wanting to use a bow lots.

BB[/quote]

Yep, I'd concurr with what BassBod advises (sorry I sound like a doctor!).

Edited by SMART

Thanks Guys.....

i'll certainly check out Bob's site.....

I've got some lessons booked with a local young player, who's a strong technically. I've very quickly realised that just treating the DB as a big Fretless Bass guitar isn't going to work !

Part of the reason for me wanting to get into the Double Bass is that I'm a reasonably profficient Bass Guitar player but I lack the theory to back it up.... I've found it hard to get the desire to lean the theory when I can already play, gig and generally get around the Bass Guitar.

Learning Double Bass, will essentially take me back to basics, and make me more hungry for the theory and technique.

Thanks for the advice

Mark

One other thing - sounds obvious, if you get the bass set up think about putting adjuster wheels into the bridge. This enables you to change string height (ie start low then move it up by small amounts over a few months, then back down if it's too high for comfort). The real purists will say they mess up the sound, but when you're getting started it can be a big help.

Enjoy...

BB

I'll never complain about a high action on a bass guitar again !!

sounds like a great idea... i've seen those adjustable bridges on Bob's site, I can certainly see the benefits.

[quote name='BassBod' post='73667' date='Oct 13 2007, 08:40 AM']One other thing - sounds obvious, if you get the bass set up think about putting adjuster wheels into the bridge. This enables you to change string height (ie start low then move it up by small amounts over a few months, then back down if it's too high for comfort). The real purists will say they mess up the sound, but when you're getting started it can be a big help.

Enjoy...

BB[/quote]

[quote name='Marcus' post='73657' date='Oct 13 2007, 06:55 AM']I've got some lessons booked with a local young player, who's a strong technically. I've very quickly realised that just treating the DB as a big Fretless Bass guitar isn't going to work !

Learning Double Bass, will essentially take me back to basics, and make me more hungry for the theory and technique.

Thanks for the advice

Mark[/quote]
sounds like you have a healthy approach to learning!
best of luck with it
Jake