Why become a member? ×

How Much Can You Improve a Starter Bass

Marcus

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a Cheq double bass.... i'd tried a few cheap starter basses (mainly chinese) ranging from £450 up to £850 and found them to be poorly put together and dull sounding....

I paid £350 (Inc case) 2nd hand for this Cheq instrument (it's ply obviously) and it felt to me better than anything else i'd tried new, and seemed to sound bigger and louder than the other instruments i'd considered.

However, having lived with the instrument a couple of days i'm realising it's limitations already....

I know the strings are old and i've had some good advice on string choice already... My question is... how far can you improve a starter bass... ?

I know every instrument will be different, but as a general rule is it be worth spending a bit on things like bridge replacement, soundpost and a general set up ?

Or should I put the money toward an "upgrade instrument" for the future ?

Thanks

Mark

First question:
where are you?
there is a master luthier in Greenwich called Roger Dawson who is genius at achieving the best results with any bass. Oh, and he's very reasonably priced. The things you have mentioned: bridge, soundpost, strings etc [i]will[/i] make a difference, especially when done by somebody like Roger. He's completely rebuilt basses I've played and worked on all my instruments. I cannot recommend this guy highly enough he is an absolute master
Jake

I've got a an old Czech ply - it really depends on what's wrong with it, and how much you're prepared to invest.

Broken bits (endpin, nut, tuners?) aren't too pricey, and fixes can be included in a pro set up. New pro-fitted bridge is a good idea, again not expensive and you can also include a pickup installation. I'd look at this type of work as giving the bass a fair chance to sound its best. A few changes can really make a big difference.

Where I would stop is major structural work (taking the top off, neck off..) or replacing the fingerboard. The bass was constructed to a certain level, so you have to always bear that in mind.

On mine I've fitted a new adjustable bridge, changed a dodgy endpin and stripped the peeling fingerboard finish. It sounds ok (with Innovation strings) for old school thumpy stuff. But it's never going to give the complex woody tones that a "better" solid top bass could. That would cost me a lot more - and I play EUB most of the time, so its never going to make sense to invest that much in an acoustic bass.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='73703' date='Oct 13 2007, 10:43 AM']First question:
where are you?
there is a master luthier in Greenwich called Roger Dawson who is genius at achieving the best results with any bass. Oh, and he's very reasonably priced. The things you have mentioned: bridge, soundpost, strings etc [i]will[/i] make a difference, especially when done by somebody like Roger. He's completely rebuilt basses I've played and worked on all my instruments. I cannot recommend this guy highly enough he is an absolute master
Jake[/quote]

Hi I'm in the North East..... i've been given the details of a respected guy for my DB maintainenece..... I hope he's able to complet his work to the standard of Roger.

Just to add that although my bass is of Ply construction it does have an Ebony fingerboard.....

listening to what's been said it looks like it's well worth having the bass correctly set up and a few things re-worked !

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Marcus

[quote name='BassBod' post='73800' date='Oct 13 2007, 03:21 PM']I've got a an old Czech ply - it really depends on what's wrong with it, and how much you're prepared to invest.

Broken bits (endpin, nut, tuners?) aren't too pricey, and fixes can be included in a pro set up. New pro-fitted bridge is a good idea, again not expensive and you can also include a pickup installation. I'd look at this type of work as giving the bass a fair chance to sound its best. A few changes can really make a big difference.

Where I would stop is major structural work (taking the top off, neck off..) or replacing the fingerboard. The bass was constructed to a certain level, so you have to always bear that in mind.

On mine I've fitted a new adjustable bridge, changed a dodgy endpin and stripped the peeling fingerboard finish. It sounds ok (with Innovation strings) for old school thumpy stuff. But it's never going to give the complex woody tones that a "better" solid top bass could. That would cost me a lot more - and I play EUB most of the time, so its never going to make sense to invest that much in an acoustic bass.[/quote]

I don't think there's anything particualarly wrong with it.... as you say it's been built at a price point with compromises I guess, my journey with DB is just beginning so i've not even started to play the bass to it's potential, however I just know it's not a "quality" instrument and I don't want the current playability issues to impede my progress with the DB. Obviously if the instrument isn't set up to it's optimum it has tones and qualities left to yield.....

I think I'll throw a few quid at it before I start thinking about more expensive options

Thanks

Mark

The ebony board is a good sign - I think a set of strings (to your taste) and a bit of a set up should get you on track. Maybe get a pickup fitted at the same time? Remember that ply basses were also designed to be more durable, not just cheaper to make.

Have fun

BB

I have the same dilemma,I rushed into buying a stentor student,without shopping around properly,because I was desperate to start learning.Immediately it's limitations became apparent,it was'nt even set up . So I lowered the action, which was an unplayable 15mm down to 8mm,installed a KK Bass Max and fitted it with a set of Helicore hybrid strings, it came with brake cables.It's cost me an extra 200 quid on top of the £500 I brought it for ,but it's sounding ok it's never going to be a great sounding bass.
But when do I stop spending money on it and upgrade.I would like to fit an adjustable bridge and have a professional set up ,I found that the bridge is'nt seated properly,but I've been quoted £200 for this. :)
can anyone recommend a luthier in the glos ,oxon,wilts area who could help me get the best out of this instrument without spending too much.

[quote name='johnny dissident' post='74072' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:15 AM']I have the same dilemma,I rushed into buying a stentor student,without shopping around properly,because I was desperate to start learning.Immediately it's limitations became apparent,it was'nt even set up . So I lowered the action, which was an unplayable 15mm down to 8mm,installed a KK Bass Max and fitted it with a set of Helicore hybrid strings, it came with brake cables.It's cost me an extra 200 quid on top of the £500 I brought it for ,but it's sounding ok it's never going to be a great sounding bass.
But when do I stop spending money on it and upgrade.I would like to fit an adjustable bridge and have a professional set up ,I found that the bridge is'nt seated properly,but I've been quoted £200 for this. :)
can anyone recommend a luthier in the glos ,oxon,wilts area who could help me get the best out of this instrument without spending too much.[/quote]

Hi Johnny.....

that's kinda my concern too..... spending a few hundred on trying to improve the bass isn't a sure bet I don't think....

The bass I have seems better than the other starter instruments I tried and the price was good so I was happy to jump in.... although i'm maybe thinking I should have waited a bit and saved up.... however, like you I was mad keen to get started with double bass.

Currently I could limbo under the action on my bass so that's a quick win, the strings are a no brainer, but I don't know if the sound post and bridge set up is even close to correct or optimum, i'd be gutted to spend hundreds on set up not to see the benefits....

When I used to cycle.... the golden rule was start with the best Frame & Fork set you could afford.... and then upgrade the components over time, adding top quality bits to a starter bass doesn't seem to make that much sense.....

• 3 months later...

[quote name='johnny dissident' post='74072' date='Oct 14 2007, 09:15 AM']I have the same dilemma,I rushed into buying a stentor student,without shopping around properly,because I was desperate to start learning.Immediately it's limitations became apparent,it was'nt even set up . So I lowered the action, which was an unplayable 15mm down to 8mm,installed a KK Bass Max and fitted it with a set of Helicore hybrid strings, it came with brake cables.It's cost me an extra 200 quid on top of the £500 I brought it for ,but it's sounding ok it's never going to be a great sounding bass.
can anyone recommend a luthier in the glos ,oxon,wilts area who could help me get the best out of this instrument without spending too much.[/quote]

Try Peter Tyler basses, he's out near Reading somewhere I think. tylerbasses.co.uk

Great bloke, house full of basses. heaven.