Why become a member? ×

S1 Jazz DIY - possible?

OldGit

Ala?:

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jass_bass_sp"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...ic=jass_bass_sp[/url]

The S1 is just series/parallel, the method of switching doesn't really matter, switch or pull/push.

Buzz: Perfect, thanks!
Muppet, Yeah picked outsider's brain, thanks

Just for completeness, these people sell a ready made wiring kit for $40 + shipping (Outsider used them)
[url="http://www.bayoucables.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=126&osCsid=ec100eebb906762910753a265bf9a650"]Aftermarket S1 wiring harness[/url]

[url="http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/j_series.gif"]Jazz "series 1" parallel/series diagram[/url]

Thanks guys

Edited by OldGit

• 1 month later...

i just phoned Fender in Reading or wherever it is they're based. The S1 switch is available as a part, however they are only supplied as a warranty part and if your bass is out of warranty, they will sell you a new one [b]but[/b] they want the serial of your bass and they expect you to send the old one back before they will release your shiny new switch. Protective or what?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100977' date='Dec 7 2007, 03:58 PM']i just phoned Fender in Reading or wherever it is they're based. The S1 switch is available as a part, however they are only supplied as a warranty part and if your bass is out of warranty, they will sell you a new one [b]but[/b] they want the serial of your bass and they expect you to send the old one back before they will release your shiny new switch. Protective or what?[/quote]

Ha ha.. Daft.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100985' date='Dec 7 2007, 04:11 PM']oh well, sod 'em.
I have just realised I have an S1 precision and as we all know, the switch on those is about as much use as a bottom without an orifice. I might pull that pot off, replace it with an ordinary pot and knob and put the S1 on the jazz. dink dank doo.[/quote]

or use a pushpull on the jazz.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100992' date='Dec 7 2007, 04:19 PM']that was option number 1, but I could just swap the pots over, although i'd have to try and get an S1 knob from somewhere and fender probably want 3 forms of ID, a copy of my bass and proof that i'm not going to use it play in any musicals.[/quote]

and no sea kayakers allowed ....
:)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100992' date='Dec 7 2007, 04:19 PM']although i'd have to try and get an S1 knob from somewhere[/quote]

YUp, that's gonna be the tricky bit. the Jazz knob is a plastic knob, like thr original but has a centre push like the Precision, though the pot itself is exactly the same on both basses. Good luck with your knob search John! :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100985' date='Dec 7 2007, 04:11 PM']I have just realised I have an S1 precision and as we all know, the switch on those is about as much use as a bottom without an orifice.[/quote]

yeah, my '92 Precision Plus (PJ) originally had a series/parallel push button for the Lace Sensor P pickup.
all it did was drop the output in parallel mode. useless.