Why become a member? ×

Da Gamba through Epifani UL110 and pickup thoughts

dub

Just got a chance to play my Da Gamba upright through my Epifani UL110 for the first time over a couple of days rehearsal. What an inspirational sound from a small cab!
I had been thinking I needed a new pickup system, but it was my old cab that didn't sound so great.

The UL110 seems to be ideal for rehearsals and small gigs. All I need now is to pair it with a UL112 for a bit more woof on a big stage and I'll be laughing.

There's a link to the guy who made my bass below for those who are interested.

It had an underwood pickup when I bought it second hand.
When it stopped working on one side. I replaced it with a "revolution solo".

I tried two rev solos together to try and get a better string balance (one in each wing), it sounded very hard not unlike the underwood, but just one on the bass side of the bridge gave a much fatter sound, (just like it says on the installation instructions)!

After a bit of experiment I re-installed a rev solo II with the R side down and pushed it far into the wing of the bridge, just past the edge of the wing, which gave a much better string balance and a bit more body tone, I think this was because my bass has a low bridge compared to a full size bass, but if your G and A strings are too quiet, try pushing the pickup further into the bridge wing and see if that helps.
My old cab was making the imbalance worse but now it sounds great.

It does make me wonder about the phase cancellation that happens in multiple element pickups. One trancducer carefully placed does seem to achieve a fuller, more "natural" tone (depending on the individual instrument, as I can imagine a harder sound would suit a really boomy bass).

I just saw a great bass player in the McDades. He was using a beautiful old double bass and "The Realist" pickup which sounded fantastic.
I don't know if a Realist would suit me as I work with a kit drummer so feedback rejection is really important and a tiny bit of direct string tone from higher up the bridge is quite nice.
I'm happy with the sound of my bass now so I'll leave it alone and concentrate on playing!

[url="http://kaniaguitars.com/i2/kontrabas/da_gambaang.htm"]http://kaniaguitars.com/i2/kontrabas/da_gambaang.htm[/url]

I like the looks of the Epifani UL110. I have a Gamba 3/4 (http://www.thesoundpost.co.uk/westbury%20bass.htm) and chose to use the Realist. It has been a fantastic change because it has one of the most clear and un-colored sounds I have come across. The output is a bit low but I use an EBS MicroBass as a pre-amp/fancy DI box and either a GK200MB or a David Eden Traveller . . . and often I can play acoustic on stage using only the pre-amp for the front of house sound. . . But I digress into gear-talk. . .

The point is, I am very surprised and pleased at how well the Realist works. I play with a couple of really quite loud drummers and have had no problems with feedback or sound control. I also have to say this Westbury Bass is really a fantastic piece of kit, however, I look at the portable ones and think how nice it would be to take my own bass with me when I am touring, rather than taking pot-luck and playing basses provided at each new city. . . but that adds a bit of excitement and sense of the unknown.

Cheers

Hi Tom
That's quite funny to meet you on the basschat page. You're welcome to come and check out the cab anytime as it is much better than the one I built all that time ago! I would be interested to see what you made of the bass too. It's probably a good bit more portable than a 3/4 although I haven't risked taking it on a plane yet as I think it would need a more serious case to survive that!
cheers Quee

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dub' post='74174' date='Oct 14 2007, 04:05 PM']Hi Tom
That's quite funny to meet you on the basschat page. You're welcome to come and check out the cab anytime as it is much better than the one I built all that time ago! I would be interested to see what you made of the bass too. It's probably a good bit more portable than a 3/4 although I haven't risked taking it on a plane yet as I think it would need a more serious case to survive that!
cheers Quee[/quote]

I think it's quite funny meeting both of you on BC.I've spoken to you,Quee,a few times when you've been up with Sasa Celtica amongst others,and Tom,it wasn't so long ago that you were by the house with Soph and Sandy for a few beers.Anyway I've managed to get a hold of an electric upright,a headless Bassix model with magnetic and piezo pickups,so I'm trying to get to grips with it,although my technique I suspect is crap.Any suggestions for good publications on upright technique?I've recently developed a pain inside my left elbow and wondered if it was connected.Hope all's well with you both
Iain

Hi Iain

Something to consider in an electric upright is getting part of it to rest comfortably against your body, like a double bass.

I had to get a new extension for mine as the original design was a bit wobbly and didn't come far enough out from the body.

Fortunately, the maker had redsigned one and sent it to me.

If you compare your bass to a full size double bass you'll get an idea of where it should be resting. If it's too close it can cause problems.

When the bass is stable, and is resting against you, it is possible to use a small amount of leverage with your arm and back to hold down the strings rather than just your hand strength alone.

Your left hand thumb and fingers should form a C shape (this was a big change for me as I used to play the electric with my thumb curving the other way! but this has improved my electric techniquie too)

You can experiment with this by holding down notes without squeezing with your thumb at all, just using it as a support.
Look in the mirror, holding your bass and let your left shoulder relax down so it level with the right
That way you can be a lot more relaxed in you arm and back and are less likely to get injuries through tension.

"Progressive Repetoire for the double bass" by george vance is quite a good series of books for technique.
It's a bit dry but then most of these kind of books are.

Edited by dub

[quote name='dub' post='80730' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:21 AM']Hi Iain

Something to consider in an electric upright is getting part of it to rest comfortably against your body, like a double bass.

I had to get a new extension for mine as the original design was a bit wobbly and didn't come far enough out from the body.

Fortunately, the maker had redsigned one and sent it to me.

If you compare your bass to a full size double bass you'll get an idea of where it should be resting. If it's too close it can cause problems.

When the bass is stable, and is resting against you, it is possible to use a small amount of leverage with your arm and back to hold down the strings rather than just your hand strength alone.

Your left hand thumb and fingers should form a C shape (this was a big change for me as I used to play the electric with my thumb curving the other way! but this has improved my electric techniquie too)

You can experiment with this by holding down notes without squeezing with your thumb at all, just using it as a support.
Look in the mirror, holding your bass and let your left shoulder relax down so it level with the right
That way you can be a lot more relaxed in you arm and back and are less likely to get injuries through tension.

"Progressive Repetoire for the double bass" by george vance is quite a good series of books for technique.
It's a bit dry but then most of these kind of books are.[/quote]
Cheers Quee
I'll look at all these areas.Thanks for the advice