Why become a member? ×

Found My Tone

stingrayfan

You know what, I think after buying and selling a few basses and couple of amps in the last year or so, I've finally found my sound. Using the G&L L2000 Tribute I've just got and my Warwick mini-rig, I'm getting the growly, punchy, clear hi-fi sound I thought I would from my Stingray. With no pedals, effects or anything. It's spot on for what I need it for (punk, rock and indie covers) and the whole kit (bass & amp) came to less than the price of a new Stingray. Goes to show, it's not what you spend that counts, I guess.

Won't stop me GASsing for something else, mind....

Anyone else happy with their aural lot?

Edited by stingrayfan

After going through a few hifi type basses and wanting (or thinking that I wanted ) a hifi punchy sound I.ve found my tone Nirvana with an Oldish Fender P, through my Gk head and Epi 310.

And like you Im sure it wont stop me gassing, infact jus put a deposit on an Aria EUB!!!

[quote name='mikeh' post='73818' date='Oct 13 2007, 03:43 PM']After going through a few hifi type basses and wanting (or thinking that I wanted ) a hifi punchy sound I.ve found my tone Nirvana with an Oldish Fender P, through my Gk head and Epi 310.

And like you Im sure it wont stop me gassing, infact jus put a deposit on an Aria EUB!!![/quote]
Cor..you have been through a few basses Mike. I remember when that Fender P was still a tree. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='73896' date='Oct 13 2007, 06:21 PM']Cor..you have been through a few basses Mike. I remember when that Fender P was still a tree. :)[/quote]

lol its true, since joining bass world in the early days I've owned quit afew basses. Some good and some bad. All in all I think I've been very lucky.

Highlites Fender MM Jazz, Spector Euro LX, Lakland 5501 And now this Fender P.

I'd say the only bass I've owned that I didnt really like was the Lakland JO 4.

Im no where near done yet!!! lol :huh: Considering a Custom bass in the year.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='73805' date='Oct 13 2007, 03:24 PM']You know what, I think after buying and selling a few basses and couple of amps in the last year or so, I've finally found my sound. Using the G&L L2000 Tribute I've just got and my Warwick mini-rig, I'm getting the growly, punchy, clear hi-fi sound I thought I would from my Stingray. With no pedals, effects or anything. It's spot on for what I need it for (punk, rock and indie covers) and the whole kit (bass & amp) came to less than the price of a new Stingray. Goes to show, it's not what you spend that counts, I guess.

Anyone else happy with their aural lot?[/quote]
That's good to hear Matt! Mind you, I've played your L2000 and it's an absolutely fantastic bass.. :)

Interesting point you make about money, because it's definitely true that spending loads of cash doesn't always get you the sound you want..

Personally, I've some way to go to get my sound right for gigging.. My basses are cool and I love the GK 700 RB head I've got. But it's getting the right cab that's the problem.. Maybe getting there with this Marshall 412 but it's early days yet..

Nik

I'm absolutely satisfied with my GK combo once I added a 2x10 to it. I felt the 1x15" lacked a little punch although that was like saying the foie gras needed a bit more salt. With a 2x10" it has everything - warmth, punch, clarity and I've reached a stage where I feel there's nothing I could do to make it sound better. What's best about it is that it sounds good with all my basses - a very flexible and honest sounding rig. (I would love for the whole shooting match to be a bit lighter though, and for there to be some durable castors fitted as well.)

My tone comes from:
NS-Design CR5M
Little Mark II amp
Schroeder 1212L
(& My fingers :) )

Everything seemed to fall into place when I got the Mark bass & Schroeder. These are the most expensive bass, amp & cab I've owned so I guess while expensive doesn't necessarily sound that much better, sometimes it certainly is.

I'm also really loving the sound of my '71 musicmaster with this rig which in its day was a very cheap bass.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I went through all combinations to find my perfect tone. When I was just 17 I had a Westone Thunder 1A through a Carlsbro Stingray amp and 4x12 cab. Didn't really pay much attention to tone at that age. Gave it up for a while then went through different kinds of amps and basses searching for my 'utopian' tone. You name it.... Traynor, Trace Elliot, SVT2, Bass Pods, Korg effects, Fender, Custom Guitars etc. Eventually settled now on EBMM SR 30th straight into a Markbass rig.
Pure heaven!!
But, yes.... still GASsing!!

I found my sound a while ago but didn't quite believe it - I bought lots of other things and ended up selling them in comparison to the 'one' until a recent financial close shave that made me realise I am very lucky to have what I consider to be the 'one' and it really has stopped any serious GAS for basses completely for the foreseeable future. It is a lovely feeling though.

My tone utopia was discovered recently when I used my spare bass(Status Groove)at a function gig.I turned the EQ off thats on my amp(TE 300w head into Peavey 1x15),boosted the bass conrol on the Status and bled off some treble.Result;a warm but clearly audible tone,and one happy bass player! :)

I have a few different tones in my head for the couple of different bands.

My USA Jazz through my mini Ashdown rig (EVO 500, Mini 48) is fantastic, couldn't be happier! For covers that is.

Originals wise, my Drop C 'ThingRay' through my full Ashdown rig (above + Mini 15) is also fantastic, and couldn't ask for more from a low tuned bass. But my Drop D tone is a bit lacking, but hopefully a pending deal will sort that all out, more details when it happens! :)

Like i said, i love the tone of my Ashdowns, but the size of the drivers and cabs mean that they don't throw sound a great distance, would love to try some larger cabs in my various musical settings to see if i would get on with them. I'm also waiting on the tuners to finish my 'Early 80's P/J Encore Project' thing, with a DiMarzio in, should sound awesome.

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='joegarcia' post='74027' date='Oct 14 2007, 03:13 AM']Really happy with my sound nowadays too. Makes me smile every time I play.[/quote]

Heh, my sound always makes me grin, especialy when i'm playing a heavy riff or the like. I worry about it making me look stupid, but I just sound so damn good! (IMO). I would describe how I found my sound but, it's a bit of a long story with too much gear and not enough logic.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='73805' date='Oct 13 2007, 03:24 PM']You know what, I think after buying and selling a few basses and couple of amps in the last year or so, I've finally found my sound. Using the G&L L2000 Tribute I've just got and my Warwick mini-rig, I'm getting the growly, punchy, clear hi-fi sound I thought I would from my Stingray. With no pedals, effects or anything. It's spot on for what I need it for (punk, rock and indie covers) and the whole kit (bass & amp) came to less than the price of a new Stingray. Goes to show, it's not what you spend that counts, I guess.

Anyone else happy with their aural lot?[/quote]

good to hear Matt, does this mean you'll be changing your name to G&Lfan now?!? hmmm, not sure if it's got quite the right ring to it!

I'm still pretty happy with the Warwick/EBS combination by the way....... but BOY is it bright!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='74051' date='Oct 14 2007, 09:12 AM']My tone comes from:
NS-Design CR5M
Little Mark II amp
Schroeder 1212L
(& My fingers :) )

Everything seemed to fall into place when I got the Mark bass & Schroeder. These are the most expensive bass, amp & cab I've owned so I guess while expensive doesn't necessarily sound that much better, sometimes it certainly is.

I'm also really loving the sound of my '71 musicmaster with this rig which in its day was a very cheap bass.[/quote]

I used to own a musicmaster, fantastic sounding bass , very deep and warm , I regret ever parting with it

I have to say im pretty happy with my current tone - My main rig being a Bas Pod XT into a QSC poweramp, and once I get the cash ill get rid of my current Hartke 410xl and replace it with a Tech 6x10 (top of my current GAS list).

With Just the bass Pod and headphones, my Warwick Streamer LX5 seems to sound immense - and last night I stumbled upon a little gem of a sound, I was playing around with my bass pod and decided to "turn off" the amp model I had on one of the patches I set up for it, and it sounded AMAZING. It was essentially the natural sound of the Warwick, but with a little EQ - and all my effects that I can switch on and off at will with the FBV.

The Jazz bass sounds good to me but I may consider upgrading to something like a Bacchus or a AtelierZ jazz in the future, but for the time being it suits me just fine for what I use it for. Ultimately, the Warwicks cover pretty much all angles, but there is something about the sound of a slapped Jazz bass that just floats my boat!

Im very happy with the sound of my basses and my rig, its as flexible as you like with the gazillion tones the Bass Pod has to offer and I cant see myself ever wanting another amp, simply because I have everything I could possibly want in one rack.

I have real highs and lows with my sound. My rig at the moment is a GK1001RBII head into a GK 2x12 neo and in some rooms it sounds great and in others it's poo.

I thought I liked 12s but I'm beginning to think 'my sound' will only be achieved with a 2x10 and a 1x15 underneath it.

Headwise - I've been curious about those Line 6 Bass Pod Pros and I know a lot of people are really happy with them but what puts me off is I'm a complete technophobe and don't have the patience to read manuals.

The journey continues for me