Why become a member? ×

peterson

zachholdsworth

[quote name='jakesbass' post='672208' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:12 PM']I had a combo with the wooden cabinet, I think that was 150w too. Superb amp.
Thats all I know really, very clean sounded better with electric than double but that was before I knew what I was doing with pick up etc.[/quote]

cheers mate.its a beautifull bit of kit.

what are they worth do you think?

:)

Yeah, I had the 150w 1 x 10" combo too. I loved it. Mine was loaded with an EV speaker; sounded brilliant. I exchanged a few e-mails with the guy who made them and he was kind enough to send me some publicity material and copies of reviews from back in the day. I think he was the guy behind (was it?) Alligator amps but someone will correct if I'm wrong. It was a company that made very well regarded amps for a while back in the 80's anyway. I wish I could remember the bloke's name but it was a few years back! I don't have the publicity material and other stuff anymore as I gave them to the person who bought the amp off me a few years back.

I managed to pick up a 15" extension speaker from a shop in East Anglia somewhere (same neck of the woods as the company were based in) but someone had swapped out the original driver for a crappy Fane one. I put a Black Widow in it and this was a killer rig with the combo! I also had the head separated from the combo and covered the whole lot in grey vinyl as the wood was starting to scratch. By modern standards it wasn't high powered but it used to deliver every one of those 150 watts! The cabs were tiny too. I often wished I'd kept them. I'd love to have heard what they sounded like with a couple of newer neo drivers in now.

Anyway - Peterson: great amps.

I still have my Peterson P100G in its solid mahogany cabinet — it's been my backup amp for more than 10 years and goes to every gig with me even now! Some Peterson history that I can add:

Pete Tulett was the Managing Director of Peterson, but they were actually manufactured by Elvic Electronics of Wethersfield (nr. Braintree) in Essex, who have long-since morphed into [url="http://www.neutronics.ltd.uk"]Neutronics Limited[/url]. They are a family owned firm and know these amps inside-out — afaik you can still buy spares for them and have them (or other amps) repaired by them.

I have a price-list from April 1991 which lists these (that are relevant here):

P120H £442 (in hardwood cab);
P120 HF £430 (in flightcase);
P120HB £408 (in black vinyl cab).

Power was 150 W with 8ohm extension cab.

Edited by Gadge

There's a couple of Peterson combos that come up on eBay with mercurial regularity and oddly enough at £400+ they never sell! :lol:

I had a 1x12 combo with 1x15" ext cab (the head was the same in all of the bass versions IIRC, there was a different guitar version favoured by Jazzers) back when they were the latest thing. The core tone was fine but they ran out of puff when stacked up against a full band with an energetic drummer... even when using an ext cab. Unfortunately the thing that dints the value of them (though the mahogany cases are lovely bits of furniture) these days is that there are far better, higher powered amp around that do as good (if not better) a job. :)

I'm sure I still have the original 'Guitarist' review from when I bought my kit but I'd be a fibber if I said I could dig it out this side of about... February! :rolleyes:

Pete Tullet - that's the man! I exchanged a few e-mails with him about my combo some years back and he was unfailingly helpful and still very enthusuastic about the amps. Even then I think thery were unlike anything else on the market. And yeah, by todays standards, there's a plentiful supply of kit that will out perform them by any objective measure. But they did have one thing that a lot of the new stuff lacks (imho) - character!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Truckstop' post='969646' date='Sep 27 2010, 03:34 PM']They look heavier than the sun!

Truckstop[/quote]

I use one as my medium sized / rehersal amp. To be honest I find it pretty light. It's got a nice punchy sound, but as Warwickhunt has said, add energetic drummer and they quickly run out of go. However when I used it for recording, it left anything else for dead and everyone seemed to love it.

It's the P150 combo with the EV speaker, and it's looking pretty tatty, but the nice thing is all it needs is rubbing back and a coat of varnish. Gunna get the amp serviced too. I've got a trace rig on it's way to me as the acoustic rig's a little elderly now and a back breaker, but no matter what happens I want to keep the Peterson :) For medium sized / jazz gigs, I can't really find any reason to not recommend one to anyone :)

• 1 year later...

Sellers will want twice what it is worth and buyers about half. ;)

Not trying to be clever or cryptic but they were good cabs/combos 'in their day' (EV loaded) but tbh there are shed loads of better cabs and combos out there now. Hence when sellers want £400+ for a 100w combo (based upon the fact they were expensive when they bought them new), they are unlikely to get anywhere near that. The stand alone cabs are worth £100 - £200 depending upon driver size and whether the buyer is trying to purchase a cab to match his existing Peterson gear, so the combos a bit more accordingly. I've seen them advertised for £400 + but they invariably don't sell. They look like a nice piece of retro furniture but having once owned one of the larger combos I'd not want it as my only gigging amp if I was playing at moderate volumes (and I had an extension cab).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

so i bought the Peterson and just have to say it's got a lovely rich jazz & blues tone. But... up against my Fender SE i prefer the bigger sound that i get from the 2x10's and have now decided to sell the wee beasty... so i'm up for some serious offers.
Thanks
Steve[attachment=106138:544532_10150654444108021_598658020_9238475_269928765_n.jpg][attachment=106139:548124_10150654445298021_598658020_9238485_1144294602_n.jpg][attachment=106140:562793_10150654445058021_598658020_9238483_964120045_n.jpg]

[quote name='P100GSteve' timestamp='1335422517' post='1630688']
so i bought the Peterson and just have to say it's got a lovely rich jazz & blues tone. But... up against my Fender SE i prefer the bigger sound that i get from the 2x10's and have now decided to sell the wee beasty... so i'm up for some serious offers.
Thanks
Steve[attachment=106138:544532_10150654444108021_598658020_9238475_269928765_n.jpg][attachment=106139:548124_10150654445298021_598658020_9238485_1144294602_n.jpg][attachment=106140:562793_10150654445058021_598658020_9238483_964120045_n.jpg]
[/quote]

As was pointed out earlier, it was always going to struggle against newer/bigger kit but a nice looking combo.

Forum etiquette is that you'll need to stick a thread up in the sales section and add a price, which shouldn't be too hard as you've just bought it. :D

• 2 months later...

Reviving an old thread a bit here, got a pic of mine (well, my dad's) the other day when testing my newly acquired 2103x out. Now it's been serviced...bloody hell it sounds good :D

[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/goblin92/c6c13a92.jpg[/IMG]

• 1 year later...

I have had 100, 120 and 150 versions.
1x10, 1x12 and 1x15.
And a 1x12 extension.

The 1x12 150w with extension is still doing weekly gigs for an upright player in Glasgow.

The 1x10 is one of the best upright amps of all time.

The EV drivers in any version are worth £100-150.

The amp sections are beautifully built with craftsmanship far beyond the slap together ethic of Aquilar, Genz, SWR, Eden...

They have a healthy power stage and well made transformers, so have authority and poke.

Brilliant studio amp.

What's the head worth?
Nearest rival is probably a Mark V Trace AH150.
They pull £150-200 depending on condition.

Only Peterson thing I have now is a black tolex 1x15 combo cab that I loaded with a Celestion 500w neo and run with an SVT 3 Pro head on the shelf. Gig? Pull the head and away we go to big cab land. Yeah!

[quote name='agat38' timestamp='1386957127' post='2306870']
Hello from France, I just picked a used Peterson P120 with EV 10" speaker, great amp, very good sound, I'm looking about footswich FS1-B schematic, or if someone have on it he can send me inside pics.

thank

Phil
[/quote]

I found, a usual 2 buttons footswitch like Marshall FS (without led) it's ok, need to set on Attack and Compressor switchs on front panel amp and it's possible to set Attack and Compressor On/Off with footswitch.

Edited by agat38

• 3 years later...

One unknown fact:
1990 - Pete Tullet and Nick Odell guitar luthier made a bassguitar for Peterson. Three prototypes were finished in 1992 in the factory of Euro-Spectors. Two were finished with red colour, one was not assembled and painted till 2014 - this one is my with the blueprints. Mr. Odell confirmed the originality, too.

(Mr. Odell with Juraj Turza)

The red ones were given for Mr. Tullet in Musicmesse Hamburg, 1992. The PU-s was made by Kent Armstrong. Nobody knows, were are the reds.
By the way it is very good buss, wigh super thin neck.

My one:

Hello. Nice bass there, did you post that somewhere else previously?

I think my P120 just popped its clogs (again). Not sure I can face the £190 repair bill. Sad face.
Last time it conked out I was just about to play pretty decent sized gig. Luckily the venue had a Trace 2x10 combo in the back so I used that.

Had a wedding gig a week ago and I couldn't hear myself at all. The Soundie put a monitor up for me mid gig (ah, the luxury!) but he said it sounded fine out the front. I assumed i was in a null or something, but firing it up today I'm hearing distortion again. Not quite as bad as last time where it just sounded like farts, but still not a great sign. I have a mah-hoosive retirement gig next week (some loaded surgeon retiring) in a prestigious venue, so gonna have to borrow something.

Still , every cloud and all, now that new rig is justifiable to the wife!