Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2.1u

elom

Hello all,

I've been gasing for some time for a [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b21u/"]Zoom B2.1u[/url] and next month I should be in a position to buy one. (I've had to hold back on the bass gear acquisition front for a while to keep the peace)

On the face of it this unit almost looks too good to be true. A multi-effects, amp modeling, tuner, DI box, recording unit for just £85? I've not had the opportunity to try one out and I wondered if anyone here has got one or tried one? I'd be interested in your comments. It doesn't need to be top end pro quality, just good enough to do a job in a pub rock band.

Many thanks,

Elom

I've got one, but I only use it for the tuner and the compressor.
Some of the effects are quite good but they don't fit with the band I play in. Saying that though, I don't like the distortion/overdrive sound at all and not too keen on the synth sounds either (the tracking is poor too IMHO).

Would I buy it again, yes absolutely.

Pete.

PS. Got mine from [url="http://www.themusicking.co.uk/products.php?cat=154"]here[/url] for £62 - B grade stock (could have passed for brand new) with 12 months warranty :)

[quote name='Gazm' post='6047' date='May 24 2007, 08:14 PM']Saying that though, I don't like the distortion/overdrive sound at all and not too keen on the synth sounds either (the tracking is poor too IMHO).[/quote]

yes, the synth and octaver have trouble tracking below an A on the low E string... I'd hate to think what it would be like on a B string...

I just like the default Mo'Soul (patch C6), Trace (B3), Tube (B7), Little Muddy (D1), & In your fingers (C9) patches...

I copied them all down to the A bank for ease of se;

[quote name='elom' post='6035' date='May 24 2007, 09:02 PM']On the face of it this unit almost looks too good to be true. A multi-effects, amp modeling, tuner, DI box, recording unit for just £85? I've not had the opportunity to try one out and I wondered if anyone here has got one or tried one? I'd be interested in your comments. It doesn't need to be top end pro quality, just good enough to do a job in a pub rock band.

Many thanks,

Elom[/quote]

Hi Elom

It's definitely good enough to do a job in a pub rock band and I agree with you that it 'almost looks too good to be true'!

I had a B2 for a while and then wanted to make use of the control facility with certain effects, so have just bought a B2.1u which on first testing, I think is even better than the B2 for value and for the range of features it has.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, quite the opposite in fact!

Nik

+1. Certainly good value for money even though a few of the presets are a bit, well... [i]crap[/i] I think describes it best. Once you get into playing around with the settings though, there's some really useful stuff on there, and the control pedal just doubles its usefulness. As long as you're not expecting it to sound like a high end processor, you won't be disappointed.

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='7391' date='May 26 2007, 11:47 PM']+1. Certainly good value for money even though a few of the presets are a bit, well... [i]crap[/i] I think describes it best. Once you get into playing around with the settings though, there's some really useful stuff on there, and the control pedal just doubles its usefulness. As long as you're not expecting it to sound like a high end processor, you won't be disappointed.

Andy[/quote]

Definitely agree with all of that!

When I first started playing bass 30 years ago, having something like this unit would have been an absolute dream.. I know there's lots of other great pieces of kit out there, but this is brilliant for the money; in fact, I managed to pick mine up on Basstalk for £45! :)

i have the zoom 506II, like the lowest cheapest pedal in that zoom range, and i use it for the excellent tuner and failry good mild overdrive. all the other effects are pretty unuseable tho, but im sure the b2.1 will be much better, as its 3 pedals above mine

The B2.1u is a great piece of gear in general. In fairness, very few octavers will track accurately below A ( the Boss OC2 gets temperamental from C down). Some presets are less than useful, but again that is a common "feature" of multi-effects unit presets.

However, I am about to post a thread about one issue I've been having lately ( won't post it here as I don't want to hijack your thread)

Cheers,
Alun

• 2 weeks later...

mine has broke. had it for six months barely used it cause i went off effects went back to play with it the other day and the up switch wont work im going to take it back

tbh i was quite disappointed wit it in general. it was my second zoom product and they have both died in a very short time.

jus my opinion

andrew

[quote name='OldGit' post='19323' date='Jun 17 2007, 09:40 PM']Elom did you get one?
What do you think now?[/quote]

Ordered it on Saturday, should be with me tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll post some first impressions once I've had a couple of days to play around with it.

First impression - wow.

Loads of stuff tucked away in there, a few duff effects but lots of usable ones. I think I've only scratched the surface and it will take a bit of effort to get the most from it but I can slowly unravel all that over time.

I'm pleased with my purchase.

[quote name='finnbass' post='21700' date='Jun 22 2007, 01:18 AM']have a *cough*[b]lot[/b]*cough* of pedalage...including GT6B's, XTLives etc[/quote]

Plural?
Wow!
Don't fancy another [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2032&st=0#entry21640"]GT6B[/url] do you? :)

Well I sold the GT6B to P-T-P (cheers Pete, lovely Daryl Jones lakkie)
and hit the high street yesterday for the B2.1u..
Initial thoughts are that the pre-programmed sounds are not quite as good as those in the GT6B but I'm not that fussed about that as it's just for slight colourings playing live. I just have to get to grips with the programming by Saturday night :)
Nice and small though :huh:

Anyone sussed the settings for sledgehammer? :huh:
OG