Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb400tbk_ebass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb400tbk_ebass.htm[/url]

your point being? I actually used to own a 5 string SCG copy which is one of the reasons i'm intrested in this. Sorry about taking so long jack btw.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='hansabass' post='34513' date='Jul 20 2007, 10:47 AM']there is possibly another brand making these basses...![/quote]

Hi Hansabass and welcome to the forum. This is quite a popular design that a number of manufacturers have produced over the years under a variety of names. Much like P or J copies the quality varies hugely and you could get a bargain or a stinker! However the 'Bass Collection' name is licensed so there should only be one manufacturer using it at one given time.

[quote name='elom' post='34701' date='Jul 20 2007, 02:58 PM']Hi Hansabass and welcome to the forum. This is quite a popular design that a number of manufacturers have produced over the years under a variety of names. Much like P or J copies the quality varies hugely and you could get a bargain or a stinker! However the 'Bass Collection' name is licensed so there should only be one manufacturer using it at one given time.[/quote]

AND-------- IIRC they are in production again after a break and with slightly new management..... ( I'm sure I read that recently.....)

[quote name='elom' post='34701' date='Jul 20 2007, 03:58 PM']Hi Hansabass and welcome to the forum. This is quite a popular design that a number of manufacturers have produced over the years under a variety of names. Much like P or J copies the quality varies hugely and you could get a bargain or a stinker! However the 'Bass Collection' name is licensed so there should only be one manufacturer using it at one given time.[/quote]

Okay, thanks! I thought I just mention it.
Cheers!

• 2 months later...

A rarity! An original SGC Nanyo [i]fretless[/i] Bass Collection, complete with Hiscox case:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-COLLECTION-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-and-HISCOX-Case_W0QQitemZ120165609764QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-COLLECTION-Fret...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

The vendor has chosen to make life difficult for himself by making it collection only, from Bristol. Foolish.

Any Basschatter within 100 miles of Bristol could get himself a helluva guitar for not much dosh.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Are these basses the same as the original Bass Collection instruments?
They look extraordinarily similar in design, and as a bonus are very cheap. It's even called an SB301!!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SX-SB301-Bass-Guitar-Fusion-Bass-Guitar-Red-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ290194393281QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]SB301[/url]

What's the deal, guys?
(Apologies if someone's already asked this question.)

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='110276' date='Dec 28 2007, 06:03 PM']Are these basses the same as the original Bass Collection instruments?
They look extraordinarily similar in design, and as a bonus are very cheap. It's even called an SB301!!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SX-SB301-Bass-Guitar-Fusion-Bass-Guitar-Red-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ290194393281QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]SB301[/url]

What's the deal, guys?
(Apologies if someone's already asked this question.)[/quote]
In a word - no. Proper Bass Collection has SGC Nanyo on it somewhere (unless it has worn off).

Quoting from my original post:

[i]In the mid-90’s, probably in 1996, SGC Nanyo went bust.

Almost immediately a new range of Bass Collection basses appeared, made/marketed by a firm called SX, sometimes labelled “through Marino”. SX are probably Korean, but I can’t confirm that. The early SX versions of the Bass Collection range were apparently pretty decent, though not as good as the SGC Nanyo ones.

Current SX Bass Collections can be bought in the US through Rondo Music for $100 and are apparently exactly as good as you’d expect a $100 bass to be. They have standard alder bodies and generic electronics.
[/i]

As a cheap starter bass that SX on eBay is probably fine, but no better than any of the hundreds of generic J-basses made in Korea, China and Vietnam.

Given the daft prices (i.e. ludicrously low) that genuine SGC Nanyo basses command, I'd advise waiting for a real one to come along. It won't be a long wait.

The SB301 is quite nice, but the SB320 is seriously lovely. Very high build quality, tone to die for, and Active (when you want it to be). Also way lighter than a J-bass, so much easier on the back & shoulders.

I have a Bass Collection SB100? series active 5 string bass that I would like to know more about.
It's made in China, serial number 000145.
I purchased it from a local music shop about 5 years ago to try a 5 string.
It plays beautifully and has a great tone.

I have attached some photo's of it (I hope) and would be grateful for any more information about it.

[attachment=4468:BC_head_front.JPG]
[attachment=4469:BC_pickups.JPG]
[attachment=4470:BC_head_back.JPG]
[attachment=4471:BC_cavity_cover.JPG]
[attachment=4472:BC_bass.JPG]

Great post by the way.

Looks like it is trying to look like a proper one to me. It has got SGC Nanyo plastered all over it but it is not quite right. The cover over the control cavity is slightly different and the real ones have MADE IN JAPAN.

Mine has GOTOH stamped on the back of the tuners and the bridge is different.

Thanks for the response bass_ferret.
I think you're correct.

The original post made me very interested as my bass just didn't match up.
I'd go and have a laugh about it with the owner of the shop that sold it to me if he was still alive.

To my eyes it's very well made, doesn't give me shoulder ache, sounds and plays very well.
The low 'B' doesn't even flap and it's electronics are very quiet.
Also, I've never had to tweak the truss rod and it's in near mint condition.
Whoever made it is capable of making very good instruments.

It's not my main bass, but I'll hang on to it for its novelty value.
I may even buy a real SGC Nanyo SB320 some day, if I can sneak it past the Missus.

Cheers

Edited by xray44

SB310's are not particularly desirable. Two have sold in the last week. One was slightly damaged and badly advertised - it fetched £90. The other was in better condition and reached £120.

Even in mint condition, you shouldn't go too near £150.

On the other hand, for THIS [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140195976737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004[/url] you should consider going close to £200.

The SB320 is way nicer than the SB310 in every way. I currently own ... erm ... well over 20 basses and my SB320 is the bass I play the most just now. Mine is virtually identical to the one in the link, though I have flats on it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='115396' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:12 PM']On the other hand, for THIS [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140195976737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004[/url] you should consider going close to £200.[/quote]
Looks like a proper one - shame the divot selling it does not know how to string it.

Sold for £235, which is a pretty good (i.e. high) price for a Bass Collection these days.

Now is that because:
(i) People are beginning to appreciate them more, or
(ii) It just happened to fetch a good price, or
(iii) That bass was discussed here on BassChat?

a question about the SB301 design, can you put a Hipshot Detuner on one, and have it work properly?
-as the E string machinehead is round the other way, and the string's on the outside...

presumably you'd have to get a left-handed Detuner?

Edited by SJA

Hello Everyone.

My name is Robin, and every now and then I search the net for info on my SGC Nanyo.

I found this thread and had to read the entire thing, because it's the most info I've ever found.
A lot of questions I've had through the years, concerning the different styles, as well as the cheap knockoffs,
have been explained.

I bought my 4-string SGC brand new in 1987, and it has a 5 digit serial#(15720).
Could someone tell me which model I have?

The list price was $899.
The entire Bass is black, including all the hardware, and the neck appears to be graphite.
It's a P/J config with Active PUps.
I was told it was the top-of-the-line for the SGC company at the time.
Let me know if the store owner fed me a line.

I love the Bass so much I bought another one just like it a few years ago.
A music store had an online, going-out-of-business sale.
It's a little later model though(SER# 883254).
Thanks, for any and all help.

RJ

Hi Robin,

Obviously photos help, but your description tells me that it is almost certainly an SB320. Where did you find that serial number? I would have expected a 6-digit number starting with '87'.

The SGC Nanyo range was small (but perfectly formed) and the only real decision to make is whether yours is a 310 or a 320. Let's give the salesman the benefit of the doubt and go with "top-of-the-line". A $900 price-tag tends to support that. :)

Incidentally, I've never heard of a graphite neck on a Bass Collection ... I'm guessing that yours is painted black, perhaps with an unusual finish on the paint? Does the neck have the same finish as the body?

Your second bass has the standard serial numbering used by Bass Collection, and is clearly a 1988 bass. Is it actually identical to the first one?

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='119926' date='Jan 14 2008, 03:21 AM']Hi Robin,

Obviously photos help, . . .
Incidentally, I've never heard of a graphite neck on a Bass Collection ...

Your second bass has the standard serial numbering used by Bass Collection, and is clearly a 1988 bass. Is it actually identical to the first one?[/quote]

Well, here is the shot of the wiring cavity with the serial in the '87.
Don't understand why one year they have a 5 digit system, and the next year a 6 digit . . .

Here's the shot of the neck.
Notice there is 'no grain'.
Trust me, it isn't wood, and it isn't painted.

Visually, the 2nd SGC is almost identical.
The first difference is the SGC Logo is verticle on the PUps as opposed to horizontal(As on the '87).
The next is the neck appears to be rosewood.
And 3rd, the wiring cavity is very different.
I LOVE the tone of the '87, and most soundmen have remarked on it.

Let me know if you need more pics.

Thank You Gentlemen, Robin

Hmmm ... when I asked about the finish on the neck, I was actually referring to the back, rather than the fretboard. Still, that's a strange one; the fretboard on my SB320 is definitely rosewood and looks nothing like yours.

It may be a trick of the photography, but it looks to me as if the paint on your bass may be a re-fin.

Alternatively, maybe all these oddities (fretboard, paint, serial number) can be explained by assuming that your bass was one of the first Bass Collection basses to be made by SGC Nanyo, and there were features which were changed on subsequent production.