Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Check the bridges - the one on ebay is not one of the original series the brand was built on but one of the later ones with inferior quality parts such as bridges and pre-amps.

Having said that, I have two of these which play well, have the same neck dimensions, excellent weight, great tones but can be picked up for around the £100 mark.

Either way you get a good bass for not a lot of bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Unusual serial number sticker, I would hazard a guess that, as with many of these, the original was virtually unreadable, maybe someone has just put a readable sticker on instead?

Can you play fretless, of course you can and none better than a bass collection to learn with :)

[quote name='missis sumner' timestamp='1497386593' post='3317801']
Don't say that, 'cos I am tempted. Two birds, one stone? (i.e. I'd like to try a fretless... lol)
[/quote]

Well try it. It's not as difficult as you might think and as Roger2611 siad "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]none better than a bass collection to learn with[/i]".[/font][/color]

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1497379601' post='3317727']
Unusual serial number sticker, I would hazard a guess that, as with many of these, the original was virtually unreadable, maybe someone has just put a readable sticker on instead?

Can you play fretless, of course you can and none better than a bass collection to learn with :)
[/quote]
Unusual serial number. I thought they were all 6 digits with the first 2 digits indicating the year of manufacture. My 3 all are. Also it looks like it has been modded as there are 2 additional screws on the control cavity cover.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1497388698' post='3317828']
Unusual serial number. I thought they were all 6 digits with the first 2 digits indicating the year of manufacture. My 3 all are. Also it looks like it has been modded as there are 2 additional screws on the control cavity cover.
[/quote]

I've seen screws in the same positions on others I've been interested in. I'm with you on the serial no. though. It is odd.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1497390021' post='3317846']
I'm not convinced that it is a 310 - it could quite easily be a 100 series with a changed bridge - I don't remember any of mine having "Gotoh" written on the bridge.

I have a fretless 100 series - plays great.
[/quote]

I missed out on your 310. Should I buy your purple one instead? I am looking for something a little more special, though - I don't really like purple. :ph34r:

It's more a dusky grey TBH - I don't think any body would call it purple. A friend of mine was able to remove the finish on his with a window scraper (Stanley blade in a holder)

I haven't had the time to follow this up and remove the paint on necks and a wax finish.

I think that there's a consensus that the BCs are all something special considering what you pay. I know you're not nearby but you're welcome to come and try it (any any of my other basses/ amps) when you're in the area.

It looks like a genuine 310 to me. I've seen the made in Japan sticker and the extra screws in the control plate before, on earlier models.. The only thing slightly odd is the serial number. It's not a 100 series. All 3 of my bass collections have Gotoh on the bridges.

Too expensive though. 200 quid absolute tops for a 310 fretless.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1499632956' post='3332657']
Nanyo 6 series:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Collection-SB-631-WOL-by-SGC-NANYO-Used-Bass-Free-Shipping-tb29-/253027618116?hash=item3ae99f0d44:g:ZIkAAOSwvjdZW5v1"]http://www.ebay.co.u...IkAAOSwvjdZW5v1[/url]

[/quote]ooh yer beauty

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I might as well add my Bass Collection SB100 to the thread. Purchased from TheGreek and I've mucked around with it a bit. I got a loom from KiOgon because I wanted to go passive with it, so it's now sporting a PJ set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. The loom is VVTT (or VTVT depending on how you look at it). There's a new Schaller 2000 bridge waiting to go on which will be good for the string spacing over the bridge pickup which is a bit off at the moment. I've kept all the original parts, just in case. This thing is an absolute monster and I love it to bits - only been out twice but enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone who has seen it has liked the colour (dusky purple... needs to be seen in the flesh, photos don't do it justice) - though playing it at a wedding a week or two ago it was a struggle to find a tie that matched... and I'm probably going to change the strings just because the red bits clash... ahem, what a tart...

[attachment=250936:bass_collection_sb100-1.jpg]

If someone would like to sell me either a pearl white version or a fretless... well, I wouldn't say no.

Edited by anzoid

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1499674730' post='3332811']
What's Japanese for "you're taking the piss, mate"?
[/quote]
あなたは私を友人にしていました
"Anata wa watashi o yūjin ni shi te imashita".

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1502216600' post='3350070']
Thought I might as well add my Bass Collection SB100 to the thread. Purchased from [b]TheGreek[/b] and I've mucked around with it a bit. I got a loom from KiOgon because I wanted to go passive with it, so it's now sporting a PJ set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. The loom is VVTT (or VTVT depending on how you look at it). There's a new Schaller 2000 bridge waiting to go on which will be good for the string spacing over the bridge pickup which is a bit off at the moment. I've kept all the original parts, just in case. This thing is an absolute monster and I love it to bits - only been out twice but enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone who has seen it has liked the colour (dusky purple... needs to be seen in the flesh, photos don't do it justice) - though playing it at a wedding a week or two ago it was a struggle to find a tie that matched... and I'm probably going to change the strings just because the red bits clash... ahem, what a tart...

[attachment=250936:bass_collection_sb100-1.jpg]

If someone would like to sell me either a pearl white version or a fretless... well, I wouldn't say no.
[/quote]

I also have a fretless... :D :D

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1502227082' post='3350158']
I also have a fretless... :D :D
[/quote]

I'm guessing you're not selling though? :D
Maybe you could put a picture up, just as a tease (unless I missed it elsewhere in the thread, which is a possibility) :)
The only thing that would put me off getting another Bass Collection would be that I don't want the current one to feel unloved... it's just about perfection. I've done the "I'll never sell this bass..." thing before, but this one might actually stick around. (You can quote that back to me in 12 months' time...)

Edited by anzoid

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1499674730' post='3332811']
Bwahahahahaha!!!

It's in Japan. And they want $886 for it?

What's Japanese for "you're taking the piss, mate"?
[/quote]

:)
Locally listed at around 60k Yen, which translates to around £425 / $550. Still a bit much, but the only wenge-bodied BC i've seen. I have no idea what the general market value for these might be - any guesses (just curious)?

Oddly enough, the BC basses don't seem to be considered as much of a bargain-basement instrument over here. the nicer specimens tend to go between 30-40k Yen (up to £275 ish).

never played one yet - perhaps should give them a go!