Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='121233' date='Jan 15 2008, 07:13 PM']It may be a trick of the photography, but it looks to me as if the paint on your bass may be a re-fin.[/quote]

No sign of that.
You may be referring to the reflection of my ceiling lamp.

Here is a pic of my 'thumb-rest'.
You can see where my thumb nail has dug a 1/4" divot over the last 20 years, and there is only black paint showing around the edge . . .

Here is my Black Trio.
'87 SGC - Fender Aerodyne - '88 SGC

So, can anyone tell me which model SGCs these are?

Thanks Guys, Robin

Edited by Robin James

[quote]Looks like a proper one - shame the divot selling it does not know how to string it.[/quote]

I've bought 3 BCs and they've all been strung incorrectly :)

I presently have two very nice SB320s and if anyone is looking for one pm me as I only need one.

I'm looking for £190 plus P&P which is what I paid for it before I set it up and fited new strings.

Peter

[quote name='Robin James' post='121272' date='Jan 16 2008, 05:08 AM']No sign of that.
You may be referring to the reflection of my ceiling lamp.

Here is a pic of my 'thumb-rest'.
You can see where my thumb nail has dug a 1/4" divot over the last 20 years, and there is only black paint showing around the edge . . .

Here is my Black Trio.
'87 SGC - Fender Aerodyne - '88 SGC

So, can anyone tell me which model SGCs these are?

Thanks Guys, Robin[/quote]Hiya Robin,I think these may be SB310's...What do you think Happy Jack?
Good old SGC Nanyo have brought up quite a bit of interest on here lately,Havn't they?

[quote name='PJPofStHelens' post='121840' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:43 PM']Hiya Robin,I think these may be SB310's...What do you think Happy Jack?
Good old SGC Nanyo have brought up quite a bit of interest on here lately,Havn't they?[/quote]

Thanks PJP,
Happy has stated he is 'almost' certain that they are 320s.
I was hoping someone would recognize them and confirm his response.
So far, not so good . . .

Anybody else?
I can take more pics, or answer questions if needed.

Thanks Again PJP,
Robin

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='119926' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:21 AM']Obviously photos help, but your description tells me that it is almost certainly an SB320.

The SGC Nanyo range was small (but perfectly formed) and the only real decision to make is whether yours is a 310 or a 320. Let's give the salesman the benefit of the doubt and go with "top-of-the-line". A $900 price-tag tends to support that. :)[/quote]

Painted body & black hardware normally = 310, which is one reason why I asked if yours had been re-fin'd.

'Top-of-the-line' with a 4-string BC = 320, which is why the price tag is interesting. In the late 80's a 320 would have had a list price of about UK£600 for a 'real' selling price of probably £500; at the exchange rate then in force (1.80-ish) that would have been about US$900.

Reverting to my previous post, if this is a [i]very[/i] early example of a BC, then different rules might apply ...

• 4 weeks later...

I had an original SGC Nanyo SB310 serious which I purchased sometime in the nineties. Japanese made with SGC pups and Gotoh fixings. Just part ex'd for Sanburg JJ. Learnt everything I know from it and served me well. Great for slap and as light as a feather. Great learner bass for the price

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='140251' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:53 PM']Nice Avatar Gloria, I've a few shots of the bow of a sea kayak like that :)

Do you think you'll regret p/ex the BC?[/quote]

Hi GreeneKing

Avatar was taken with a throwaway camera! It's on Loch Shiel, west of Fort William in Scotland. The most beautiful Loch/Lake I've ever canoed. Doing the Caladonian Canal in April so that opinion may change.

To cut a long story short I've got both the BC and my Sandberg with me right now. Sandberg wins hands down but it did cost me about 4 times as much as the BC so it should!

I've done some whitewater on the Dee at Llangollen. I'm preety sure you couldn't open canoe all the way although it would be fun at the Wirral side with the tides!

Lakes are good. Consiton and Ullswater are both great for open canoe.

Somebody gonna tell us off for not talking bass!!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='121284' date='Jan 16 2008, 07:43 AM']I've bought 3 BCs and they've all been strung incorrectly :)

I presently have two very nice SB320s and if anyone is looking for one pm me as I only need one.

I'm looking for £190 plus P&P which is what I paid for it before I set it up and fited new strings.

Peter[/quote]

I am looking to buy an SB320, what colour is yours?

Rob

Can't be sure that this an SGC Nanyo, but it looks like an SB310 and that BiN price is really very good:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250217982532&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015[/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='144819' date='Feb 22 2008, 08:21 AM']Can't be sure that this an SGC Nanyo, but it looks like an SB310 and that BiN price is really very good:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250217982532&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015[/url][/quote]
I emailed the guy, and he says it is an SGC Nanyo. How can you tell from that picture whether it's a 310 or a 320?

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I came across this forum when I was searching for some info on my Bass Collection. I've brought it as 'shop soiled' with a few paint chips but new in roughly 1991-92 but I can't for the life of me remember how much for. I have no idea why on earth I suddenly am curious to know what it is!

I must admit that I gave up playing bass about 10 years ago as I run a recording studio now. I have got rid of all of my bass gear from when I was still playing except the Bass Collection. I kept it as a house bass and loads of musicians have played it over the years and loved it.

I had the plate put around the controls as a 'friend' borrowed it and dropped it and it dented a lot of the wood around the pots. I also had the fret markers put added by the same guy, Tony Revell.

Any of you guys able to tell me what model it is as I have no idea. The serial number is 911575, after reading this thread I realise that means 1991. It does not have any mention of SGC Nanyo anywhere though. The only markings are the Bass Collection badge and the serial number in the electronics panel on the back.

I would be well chuffed if someone could give me some info on this little baby!

Many thanks...Ted

[attachment=10435:Bass_Col...tion_003.jpg]

[attachment=10436:Bass_Col...tion_004.jpg]

[attachment=10437:Bass_Col...tion_005.jpg]

If it's from 1991 then it's almost certainly a Japanese-made original SGC Nanyo. I'm assuming it has active electronics, in which case it's either an SB310 or an SB320. If you can get a decent view of the wood used in the body, then you should be able to tell.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='233052' date='Jul 5 2008, 09:47 AM']If it's from 1991 then it's almost certainly a Japanese-made original SGC Nanyo. I'm assuming it has active electronics, in which case it's either an SB310 or an SB320. If you can get a decent view of the wood used in the body, then you should be able to tell.[/quote]

Thank you Happy Jack.

Actually I forgot to mention that it is passive. The wood has a very tight grain, Alder, Maple?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a Bass collection SGC Nanyo SB230 Seriol No. 953606. It is in a translucent honey finish with gold hardware. It has an unbelivably fast action and a lovley tonal range. I bought it in my local music shop as a used item (paying far to much at £450) after trying loads of other basses, this one was by far the best. However, when I use it at volume at a gig it seem to sound a bit mushy or is it just me lol.

[attachment=13387:Bass.jpg]

[quote name='BaggyTrousers' post='283932' date='Sep 14 2008, 10:08 PM']Hi,

I have a Bass collection SGC Nanyo SB230 Seriol No. 953606. It is in a translucent honey finish with gold hardware. It has an unbelivably fast action and a lovley tonal range. I bought it in my local music shop as a used item (paying far to much at £450) after trying loads of other basses, this one was by far the best. However, when I use it at volume at a gig it seem to sound a bit mushy or is it just me lol.

[attachment=13387:Bass.jpg][/quote]

Your 320 (not 230) is a perfect match for my 330 fretless.

My 320 remains one of my favourite basses. There's no inherent "mushiness" about it - far from it, the quality of the electronics is very high and the tone's lovely.

Did the mush only happen at one gig? If so, then it could easily have been the room itself, or the exact rig you were playing through, or even the settings on the bass.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.
Nice to find so much info on the SGC series. I have a `95 320 made in Japan that I need to sell. It is in really good condition. I bought it new from a shop approx 2 years ago and am wondering what price I should expect if placed on Ebay.

I need the cash to pay for a new Warwick I have just fallen for. Would love to keep the 320 but finances won`t allow!

[attachment=14282:DSC00194.JPG]

[attachment=14281:DSC00187.JPG]

Thanks in advance.

Must admit did a double take then - I used to keep mine in an Ibanez case as well! Its difficult to price and I dont understand how you bought something that was made in 1995 new a couple of years ago - was it hanging on the shop wall for 10 years?

The £450 paid above was absolutely top dollar and I would expect to get considerably less unless you are very lucky.