Jump to content


Trace Elliot GP7 SM


9 replies to this topic

#1 Mog

    10001110101

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tipperary

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hi, I recently purchased a Trace Elliot GP 7SM 150. The problem is I cant seem to find a manual for this model on the T.E. website. The back panel rates the amp at 150 watts rms, 300watts peak. There are two 1/4 inch speaker outputs each rated 8 ohms. I was wondering if I can run a 200 watt 8ohm cab from each output or will that over load the head or cabs? So far its been suggested to me that the head puts out 150 watts at 8ohms (one cab connected) and 300 watts with two 8 ohm cabs, and that the outputs are rated 75 watts each. Both of these came from less than reliable sources though! Any clarification would be a great help. :)
Cheers,
Bob.
Theres no such thing as bad music, theres just bad musicians.

CASTERO

#2 neilb

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chelmsford, County Town of Ethics.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

Erm, not entirely accurate. The amp will deliver 150w at 8 ohm total load and 300w at minimum 4 ohm load. Dont get too tied up with output ratings etc, they vary due to many factors in speaker sensitivity etc. Basically TE stuff is always under rated when it comes to output wattage. Just ensure that any ext cab you connect has a rating of 8 ohms.
As you suggest you can safely run two 8 ohm cabs from your amp with no problems.

Your amp will be LOUD with one cab (8 ohm) and FRICKEN LOUD with two cabs (4 ohm).

Edited by neilb, 06 December 2009 - 06:06 PM.

2011 US Std Jazz Bass Black n Maple
TC Electronic RH450/RS212/RS210

www.sloeginbluesband.co.uk

My Feedback Page

#3 Mog

    10001110101

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tipperary

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

View Postneilb, on Dec 6 2009, 06:05 PM, said:

Erm, not entirely accurate. The amp will deliver 150w at 8 ohm total load and 300w at minimum 4 ohm load. Dont get too tied up with output ratings etc, they vary due to many factors in speaker sensitivity etc. Basically TE stuff is always under rated when it comes to output wattage. Just ensure that any ext cab you connect has a rating of 8 ohms.
As you suggest you can safely run two 8 ohm cabs from your amp with no problems.

Your amp will be LOUD with one cab (8 ohm) and FRICKEN LOUD with two cabs (4 ohm).

Cheers for the reply, sorry to sound like a complete noob here but would running it with both cabs not overpower them as they are only rated 200 watts? 300 into 200 sound like new speakers for Bob! Things were so simplier with my redhead combo! :)
Theres no such thing as bad music, theres just bad musicians.

CASTERO

#4 neilb

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chelmsford, County Town of Ethics.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

View PostMog, on Dec 6 2009, 08:02 PM, said:

Cheers for the reply, sorry to sound like a complete noob here but would running it with both cabs not overpower them as they are only rated 200 watts? 300 into 200 sound like new speakers for Bob! Things were so simplier with my redhead combo! :)


Will be fine, the amp will never kick out the max wattage anyway. Its better to run a higher rated amp into lower rated speakers than vice versa. An amp working too hard to power speakers (eg 150w amp powering 300w speakers) is more damaging to equipment.
2011 US Std Jazz Bass Black n Maple
TC Electronic RH450/RS212/RS210

www.sloeginbluesband.co.uk

My Feedback Page

#5 maddude16

    Fully fledged member

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?

#6 Mog

    10001110101

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tipperary

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

View Postmaddude16, on Dec 8 2009, 07:06 PM, said:

my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?

Its probably a grounding issue. Get yourself a DI box and run your bass > DI (with ground lift switch on) > amp.
Hope it helps. Transformers for the Gp7's are about $100 ish so if it is that it shouldn't be a major spend.
Let me know if the DI idea works.
All the best,
Bob.
Theres no such thing as bad music, theres just bad musicians.

CASTERO

#7 DHA

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

View Postmaddude16, on Dec 8 2009, 07:06 PM, said:

my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?


Does it hum without an instrument plugged in?

If so then it is most likely a power supply problem and will need checking out by a tech. Don't leave it on like this to long as you may damage the speakers.

Dave

#8 stoker

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glastonbury
  • Interests:Basses, GASing, reading, basses, music, cooking, playing far, far too much XBox, photography and basses! Also play drums and a bit of guitar.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

View Postneilb, on Dec 7 2009, 09:37 PM, said:

Will be fine, the amp will never kick out the max wattage anyway. Its better to run a higher rated amp into lower rated speakers than vice versa. An amp working too hard to power speakers (eg 150w amp powering 300w speakers) is more damaging to equipment.

I was always told that that speakers (or cabs) should be a third more powerful than the amp to avoid blowing them.
Rickenbacker 4003
Hoyer 5045 (EB3 clone)
'63 Hofner Verithin
Trace Elliot GP7 SM 300 head
Hartke Transporter 4x10 cab
H/B CB-110X
BOSS SYB-5
H/B BOD-1
H/B BCH-1

http://bluecedaronli...id_category=101
http://folksy.com/sh...landPhotography

#9 Subthumper

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Location:Bristol

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

View Postmaddude16, on Dec 8 2009, 08:06 PM, said:

my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?

Assuming yours isnt one of the peavey era trace's and was made before that.
Quite often the solder joints that connect the smoothing caps to the pcb (poweramp board) give out due to the amount of mechanical stress put on them as its usually the only thing holding it to the board as the glue they use gives out after years of use and heat. Open the amp up and see if the capacitors ( about the size of a c cell battery) are wobbly on the board at the back of the amp. If they are its a sure bet that this is the problem.If it is not this then it could be a failed smoothing capacitor, in which case have them all replaced. The board is only held in by four bolts /screws and the resoldering would only take a few minutes. If your not sure about doing this find a good tech and he should have it sorted in no time. Otherwise it sounds like there's an earth gone astray somewhere. If your near bristol give me a shout, I can sort this.
Good luck
Cheers Just

Edited by Subthumper, 01 July 2011 - 11:35 PM.


#10 Gungr

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

I have the gp7sm 250 combo and need a replacement tweeter speaker cone. Any idea where I might find one?

Thanks.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users