Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP7 SM

Mog

Hi, I recently purchased a Trace Elliot GP 7SM 150. The problem is I cant seem to find a manual for this model on the T.E. website. The back panel rates the amp at 150 watts rms, 300watts peak. There are two 1/4 inch speaker outputs each rated 8 ohms. I was wondering if I can run a 200 watt 8ohm cab from each output or will that over load the head or cabs? So far its been suggested to me that the head puts out 150 watts at 8ohms (one cab connected) and 300 watts with two 8 ohm cabs, and that the outputs are rated 75 watts each. Both of these came from less than reliable sources though! Any clarification would be a great help. :)
Cheers,
Bob.

Erm, not entirely accurate. The amp will deliver 150w at 8 ohm total load and 300w at minimum 4 ohm load. Dont get too tied up with output ratings etc, they vary due to many factors in speaker sensitivity etc. Basically TE stuff is always under rated when it comes to output wattage. Just ensure that any ext cab you connect has a rating of 8 ohms.
As you suggest you can safely run two 8 ohm cabs from your amp with no problems.

Your amp will be LOUD with one cab (8 ohm) and FRICKEN LOUD with two cabs (4 ohm).

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='675940' date='Dec 6 2009, 06:05 PM']Erm, not entirely accurate. The amp will deliver 150w at 8 ohm total load and 300w at minimum 4 ohm load. Dont get too tied up with output ratings etc, they vary due to many factors in speaker sensitivity etc. Basically TE stuff is always under rated when it comes to output wattage. Just ensure that any ext cab you connect has a rating of 8 ohms.
As you suggest you can safely run two 8 ohm cabs from your amp with no problems.

Your amp will be LOUD with one cab (8 ohm) and FRICKEN LOUD with two cabs (4 ohm).[/quote]

Cheers for the reply, sorry to sound like a complete noob here but would running it with both cabs not overpower them as they are only rated 200 watts? 300 into 200 sound like new speakers for Bob! Things were so simplier with my redhead combo! :)

[quote name='Mog' post='676060' date='Dec 6 2009, 08:02 PM']Cheers for the reply, sorry to sound like a complete noob here but would running it with both cabs not overpower them as they are only rated 200 watts? 300 into 200 sound like new speakers for Bob! Things were so simplier with my redhead combo! :)[/quote]

Will be fine, the amp will never kick out the max wattage anyway. Its better to run a higher rated amp into lower rated speakers than vice versa. An amp working too hard to power speakers (eg 150w amp powering 300w speakers) is more damaging to equipment.

[quote name='maddude16' post='678317' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:06 PM']my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?[/quote]

Its probably a grounding issue. Get yourself a DI box and run your bass > DI (with ground lift switch on) > amp.
Hope it helps. Transformers for the Gp7's are about $100 ish so if it is that it shouldn't be a major spend.
Let me know if the DI idea works.
All the best,
Bob.

[quote name='maddude16' post='678317' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:06 PM']my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?[/quote]

Does it hum without an instrument plugged in?

If so then it is most likely a power supply problem and will need checking out by a tech. Don't leave it on like this to long as you may damage the speakers.

Dave

• 1 year later...

[quote name='neilb' post='677153' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:37 PM']Will be fine, the amp will never kick out the max wattage anyway. Its better to run a higher rated amp into lower rated speakers than vice versa. An amp working too hard to power speakers (eg 150w amp powering 300w speakers) is more damaging to equipment.[/quote]

I was always told that that speakers (or cabs) should be a third more powerful than the amp to avoid blowing them.

[quote name='maddude16' post='678317' date='Dec 8 2009, 08:06 PM']my gp7 (with the luminating front panel) has just started to hum realllllly loud when turned on. transformer?[/quote]

Assuming yours isnt one of the peavey era trace's and was made before that.
Quite often the solder joints that connect the smoothing caps to the pcb (poweramp board) give out due to the amount of mechanical stress put on them as its usually the only thing holding it to the board as the glue they use gives out after years of use and heat. Open the amp up and see if the capacitors ( about the size of a c cell battery) are wobbly on the board at the back of the amp. If they are its a sure bet that this is the problem.If it is not this then it could be a failed smoothing capacitor, in which case have them all replaced. The board is only held in by four bolts /screws and the resoldering would only take a few minutes. If your not sure about doing this find a good tech and he should have it sorted in no time. Otherwise it sounds like there's an earth gone astray somewhere. If your near bristol give me a shout, I can sort this.
Good luck
Cheers Just

Edited by Subthumper