Why become a member? ×

Funk and Groove

Pete Academy

Groove is virtually impossible to define. Here are a couple I think describe the way the bass and drums interact, especially with playing behind the beat.

Please add your own, as I'd be glad to hear them.

'Heartbeat' by War.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GL9iepwuMc

'All Night Long' by Mary Jane Girls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzvH9YPbXA

I'll take your Mary Jane Girls and raise you with Keni Burke 'Risin' to the Top'. Immense track. Ripped off by the aforesaid MJG.

Edited by Dad3353

I'll take your Mary Jane Girls and raise you with Keni Burke 'Risin' to the Top'. Immense track. Ripped off by the aforesaid MJG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieevQ9RrDc

Ah! When I first thought about this thread, the Keni Burke track was foremost on my mind. Whenever I try to show someone an example of laying back on the beat, I always play that on my bass. I just couldn't think of the bloody title and artist!

Thanks for that! :) Edited by Dad3353

Alfonzo Surrett - Gimme Your Love. Really nice feel, slightly reminiscent of Jacko's Off the Wall. Great production too, although it doesn't really come over on this crappy quality video. Heard it on Gilles Peterson's show a couple of years back and had to find it.

If we're talking about playing behind the beat, then Raphael Saadiq's playing on this is just sublime. D'Angelo - Untitled (How does it feel) from Voodoo. Great tune, amazing voice.

Need to say, I can't stop listening to that Mary Jane Girls track. Lovely stuff. Keni Burke is excellent too.

Edited by Dad3353

On 10/12/2009 at 11:06, joerattray said:

D'Angelo - Untitled

If we're talking about playing behind the beat, then Raphael Saadiq's playing on this is just sublime. D'Angelo - Untitled (How does it feel) from Voodoo. Great tune, amazing voice.

Sorry, man, but to me that sounds like the recording is just out of sync (especially in the first half) - be it the bassist, the drummer, poor monitoring in the studio or a lousy engineer. In fact, it does pull together towards the end of the track where the bass is at least sitting more in the pocket.
Maybe they were all distracted trying to get a glimpse of D'Angelo's 'package'... :lol: 9_9
Ok, seriously, if anyone can explain to me what I'm missing here, I'll put my hands up and get my coat! :)

But before I do, I defy anyone to tell me they are not at least tapping their big toe to this: :lol:

NO??? Ok - where's me coat! :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

Sorry, man, but to me that sounds like the recording is just out of sync (especially in the first half) - be it the bassist, the drummer, poor monitoring in the studio or a lousy engineer. In fact, it does pull together towards the end of the track where the bass is at least sitting more in the pocket.

I think the point is that its so far behind the beat, it almost falls over itself, creating a really satisfying tension and release. But each to their own, eh.
The rest of the album features Pino Palladino and Questlove on a few tunes, I'd definately recommend checking it out if you're not familiar with it. I know the whole modern RnB/neo-soul/whatever thing puts some people off, but there's some fantastic records out there. Raphael Saadiq's debut being a prime example.
That Ramsey Lewis tune is cool, if a little over-indulgent for my tastes.

I may have missed the point of this thread and looked too far away from the 70s funk it seems to be intended for. So here's something I hope makes up for it:

The bass is pure filth.

Edited by Dad3353

I love the groove in most of Down to The Bone's stuff - this one particularly.

A pretty obscure band from the 70s, Randy Pie - I love the groove on this:

And a rock track that always gets that deep feeling for me, don't know if it counts, Man in the Box by Alice in Chains:

Edited by Dad3353

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieevQ9RrDc

If anyone is struggling with groove, I would strongly suggest playing along to the Keni Burke bass part until you're blue in the face. Edited by Dad3353

On 10/12/2009 at 10:06, urb said:

Sorry - another one - how about some one-handed james Brown grooves while playing the drums... then some Jaco

Mmmm... :)

Nice snare ghosting- cheers Mike!

This is so laid back it's like you're watching it last week

Another fave- a great groove player and all round cool guy.

Edited by Dad3353

On 11/12/2009 at 12:32, grahamd said:

loving this thread too! this one has great lines across the beat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVD-Nf4CSM...feature=related

Yeah man, I was gonna put that video up, its one of my favourite live RnB videos. The band is smokin, shame it wasn't the same one she brought to Glasgow a couple of years back.

Edited by Dad3353

Yeah man, I was gonna put that video up, its one of my favourite live RnB videos. The band is smokin, shame it wasn't the same one she brought to Glasgow a couple of years back.

such a great arrangement, and that 55-94 sounds sick too :)

Edited by Dad3353

Pete great thread..my fav in fact..

these for me are the best of my best..my bread and butter

my dream woman!!

this is the best funk ive ever heard..i mean ever ever.. super cool this sh*t..doesnt get any better than Maceo and his band IMHO!!!!

check out the horn section...

Wonderful this, i love this funky jazzy version of this tune.."those test tubes and the scales, get them all out of here".Tom Barney is sooooo cool in this clip..holds down the groove to perfection..

This really isnt for the OP..i really think this is one of the groove masterpieces.. I love Larry Carlton's playing on this..he a true master..dont get me started on Chuck's groove....hes got patience that man....there is not many days that go by when i dont listen to this tune..my sister is a Steely Dan nut because of this song...love it..

Michael M has wonderfull close harmonies on this song
There is a way that that Stevie plays that Clav that sounds so much better than the original...pure groove.

groove doesnt come much better than this..

I love these 2...this band has become such an integral part of why i play bass.as im sure it has alot of you........but strangley i love Niles's guitar playing in this..just perfect..

This is my go to Chic song....just the best that they did IMO...wonderfull bass playing , the best disco ever made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLAxeBa6oA8

Edited by Dad3353

these for me are the best of my best..my bread and butter

+1 to all the above.
I have almost all the tracks you list here, B5. Nice to hear Chic's 'Savoir Faire' again.
I'm gonna dig that piece of vinyl out this afternoon!

Edited by Dad3353

Awesome thread, refreshing to see MUSIC being discussed and frothed over for a change here!
if you haven't heard of Lettuce then your life is missing something:

Also I will shortly be posting some links of my bands recent gig in which we did that exact version of Golden by Jill Scott and some classic Erykah Badu tune from Baduizm.
Cheers!
c

Edited by Dad3353

Awesome thread, refreshing to see MUSIC being discussed and frothed over for a change here!

if you haven't heard of Lettuce then your life is missing something:
Lettuce
Also I will shortly be posting some links of my bands recent gig in which we did that exact version of Golden by Jill Scott and some classic Erykah Badu tune from Baduizm.
Cheers!
c

Lettuce are amazing, Adam Deitch is too good.
Was this the gig with Stef Lawrence singing by any chance? I really wanted to go, she's a good friend of mine, but was working unfortunately. Looking forward to hearing the clips.

Bubinga5 - great choices there. Never heard that live version of Kid Charlemagne before, brilliant playing. Forbidden Lover is a total classic too.
*edit* meant to say, do you (or anyone else) have the live maceo record from the early-to-mid-90s (94ish?) featuring Kym Mazelle and Candy Dulfer, amongst others? It's well worth a listen if you haven't heard it. Kenwood Dunnard's got some great grooves on it. Edited by Dad3353