Why become a member? ×

Funk and Groove

Pete Academy

Groove is virtually impossible to define. Here are a couple I think describe the way the bass and drums interact, especially with playing behind the beat.

Please add your own, as I'd be glad to hear them.

'Heartbeat' by War.

'All Night Long' by Mary Jane Girls.

Edited by Dad3353

That's from this superb DVD - it's half documentary and half gig and the band is killing - the bass and drum grooves are spot on througout - well worth a look.

I also play it in my funk band - have a listen

M

Kool... I like the different groove you've put to it.... very kool. I've been meaning to buy that DVD for a while, however the version of SEYG I really love is on Roots and Grooves. It's the Extended version and bonus track. If you get a chance have a listen (itunes) as the bass playing is unreal. Edited by Dad3353

On 09/12/2009 at 21:28, RayFW said:

Here's my contribution:

Not a fan of this one if you don't mind me chipping in. The OP is all about groove.
The bassline is intricate for sure but he's making a bit of a pig's derrière of that semiquaver triplet thing in the main theme which is upsetting the groove a bit IMO.
Still a cool piece tho- just not feelin' the groove thang as much as the other clips.

Edited by Dad3353

One of my favourite youtube vids. I love the look and sound of that BC Rich Wave.

Here's my contribution:

Love the interplay between bass and drums on this. Tasty!

Grooves like a mutha to me !!
In the faves. :)

This grooves too,some tasty work right here.

5.27 in and oh boy !

Edited by Dad3353

Not a fan of this one if you don't mind me chipping in. The OT is all about groove.

The bassline is intricate for sure but he's making a bit of a pig's derrière of that semiquaver triplet thing in the main theme which is upsetting the groove a bit IMO.
Still a cool piece tho- just not feelin' the groove thang as much as the other clips.

Fairy bluff. I'm usually a fan of less "showy" stuff (JB's,TOP etc. ) but I loved the interplay 'tween bass and drums on that clip.

How about this then:
Edited by Dad3353

Thanks - I've never heard that before. It's absolutely brilliant!!

:)

And totally what the OP was talking about IMO...

My pleasure mate 9_9

Betty Davis was an interesting 'character', worth diggin' around on the interweb for some biog, she was Miles Davis' wife, introduced him to Sly Stone and Jimi Hendrix, shortly after which Miles went on down the route to beaches Brew, she was also on the cover of Filles De Kilimanjaro. Waaaaayyyy ahead of her time wrt her openness about her sexuality and her explicit lyrics (very tame by todays standards, but back then - ouch she was just too hot!).

There are about 3 albums out and the one with that on is the best really, the next one didnt have the all star band, its still great, but not quite as great....

Eventually she became a full on recluse when she couldnt get a record released for love nor money.

Someone finally tracked her down a few years ago (by tracing tax returns of all things) and talked her into letting them re-release her 3 albums. She was oed several 10s of thousands of dollars in royalties at the time which hadn't been paid as she couldn't be found....

I had only ever heard Nasty Girl before finding this stuff out, and thats way more shouty, and not as good as Anti-Love Song for it. Edited by Dad3353

Another definitive groove:-

That is the real shizzle right there.

If you need to 'learn' feel, play along to this for 6 weeks.

You either go mad or you learn good, or both - biscuit mudflap perfiffle Mr Flibble is very angry etc etc....

Once you got that one you neeeeeed to get this one:-

Edited by 51m0n

Another definitive groove:-

That is the real shizzle right there.

If you need to 'learn' feel, play along to this for 6 weeks.

You either go mad or you learn good, or both - biscuit mudflap perfiffle Mr Flibble is very angry etc etc....

Once you got that one you neeeeeed to get this one:-

Definitely! And anything else from albums 'Fire On The Bayou', 'Cissy Strutt', etc. :) Edited by Dad3353

Good thread guys...

I reckon Sly and Family Stone's - If You Want Me To Stay oozes Funk and Groove...oh yeah!!!

And Me'Shell Ndegeocello's - Make Me Wanna Holler has sooooo much feel and groove...

Away from the typical groove genres though, I'm really digging the new Arctic Monkeys album, and Crying Lightning really gets my bass face on...

Edited by Dad3353

Not a fan of this one if you don't mind me chipping in. The OP is all about groove.

I agree Johns is a bit too busy but he is a good player - I looked at a few more clips on YT and this one is fun - he does a pretty darn cool FUNK version of 'Stairway To Heaven'... well at least he's trying to do something new with it!

Edited by Dad3353