Why become a member? ×

Clip on tuners

alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='75055' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:50 PM']I recently acquired one of these:

to replace my Korg DTR-2 rackmount beast. Simple, quick, accurate. I am impressed!

Anyone else tried this approach?

Alex[/quote]

As with any of these type of tuners they can only give you an average reading, they still don't beat the accuracy of any of the Peterson tuners. Great compact size though so if Peterson could do something like that but then having said that its the size of the display that governs the detail for accurate tuning display!

I've got their new StroboFlip and its great with a stand attachment and clip on tuning sensor bundled in the kit. Strobomundo!!

Anyhow, enjoy your new tuner!

Edited by Bassman7

as a teacher in school and out, i have to be able to tune quickly and accurately without resorting to leads and the like.
I have been using the Intellitouch IMT500 for a couple of years. it's quick reliable and retailing for about £20 its great value for money.
IMO everyone should have a device like this around for quick checking when a lead/tuner is too much hassle.

[quote name='Bassman7' post='75060' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:59 PM']I've got their new StroboFlip and its great with a stand attachment and clip on tuning sensor bundled in the kit. Strobomundo!![/quote]

I was quite interested in one of those until I saw the price! I've managed to justify having a less than 100% accurate tuner by considering that it only takes a bit of extra pressure on the frets to change the tuning anyway... :)

At home I always practise unplugged so this is a godsend and it'll allow me muted tuning at the gig by turning my bass's volume knob to zero.

I tested it out thoroughly in the shop with a cheapish five string - I had forgotten how poor the tuning stability of some basses is, it was all over the place! Though as it was a Fieldy signature model maybe that ties in with his "if the groove is phat then the notes don't matter" view.

Alex

I have a different clip on one which has guitar, bass & chromatic modes, it works OK but on a 5 string you have to switch it to chromatic mode for the B and it doesn't track the low notes very well. :)

The fastest easiest and most accurate tuner I have is the Planet Waves SOS that shines two red LEDs either side of the harmonic node at the 12th fret. When the lights stop wobbling you're in tune. Its fiddly to start with but very easy once you're used to it. No leads required and it works even if drummers and guitarists are making loads of noise around you.

I hate if I need to tune up & I don't have an SOS on me as using anything else is much more hassle. :huh:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='75055' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:50 PM'][/quote]

i bought one of those for my mum as she's starting to learn to play guitar. i was [i]very[/i] impressed...seemed to do well on bass as well as electric and acoustic guitars.

Edited by ahpook

I tried one today at a local shop whacked on a standard MIM p-bass.

Can't say I was impressed, granted, the bass WAS on the stand, but you seemed to have to fiddle to find the optimum point and even so, it was really slow in deciding if the open E even existed, let alone was in tune.

Bought a cheap Korg plug in one instead.

Was it plugged into the bass, did anyone in the store assist you 'cos these really are the biz and no pro tech will be seen or taken seriously without a Peterson tuner?

Caption: "You really should try one again, the future of of your music being truly in tune is at stake..."

I've also got an intellitouch one, and it's great. Doesn't cope with the open A, E or B strings on my bass, so usually I tune to the 12th fret harmonic instead. Useful *and* cheap; now there's a rarity. Also allows you to try and convince the drummer that it's a miniature TV so you can watch Eastenders whilst still attending rehearsals.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='75105' date='Oct 16 2007, 03:49 PM']The fastest easiest and most accurate tuner I have is the Planet Waves SOS that shines two red LEDs either side of the harmonic node at the 12th fret.[/quote]

I actually went into the shop to get one of those but they didn't have the bass version in stock. The shop assistants were rather unconvinced by the guitar version but I did have a feeling that it would work really well on bass - I may pick one up as a back-up in future.

The Crafter clip-on definitely works better on more resonant (usually more expensive) instruments. I've noticed that I can clip in anywhere onto my Warwick and it tracks well.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='75564' date='Oct 17 2007, 01:38 PM']The shop assistants were rather unconvinced by the guitar version[/quote]

The guitar one works very well - They were probably trying to use it without having read the instructions. Usually whenever I let someone try either my guitar or bass version of the SOS I have to repeat "no, over the 12th fret" about six times before they get it :)

Then again, perhaps if they had the bass version in stock they'd have told you it was the best thing ever.