Why become a member? ×

Schaller Strap locks... and how to fit them properly!!

EBS_freak

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1333622734' post='1604343']
Likewise-I found this by far the best way-far easier than all the woodwork-but I've given up on straplocks altogether now, and gone back to Grolsch bottle washers. I still don't understand why Schaller insist on using those silly little screws to go into a hole which is almost invariably bigger than they are designed to go in (story of my life ;) ).
[/quote]

haha :D

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1333622734' post='1604343']
Likewise-I found this by far the best way-far easier than all the woodwork-but I've given up on straplocks altogether now, and gone back to Grolsch bottle washers. I still don't understand why Schaller insist on using those silly little screws to go into a hole which is almost invariably bigger than they are designed to go in (story of my life ;) ).
[/quote]

Really? IME the Schaller screw is normally about the same size as the screw holding the original button in place. Also because the screw goes further into the Straplock button than a normal strap button, if you use the original screw you will be screwing it further into the wood than before which may have robustness implications if your restore the original buttons.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1333624940' post='1604405']
Really? IME the Schaller screw is normally about the same size as the screw holding the original button in place. Also because the screw goes further into the Straplock button than a normal strap button, if you use the original screw you will be screwing it further into the wood than before which may have robustness implications if your restore the original buttons.
[/quote]

Well certainly in my experience on two Fender Precisions, the Schaller screw was definitely thinner than the Fender one it was replacing, with all the accompanying problems of it working loose. I took 'em off my Mex and put the old buttons back on, same screws, and they're pretty solid so far.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1333649490' post='1604880']
Well certainly in my experience on two Fender Precisions, the Schaller screw was definitely thinner than the Fender one it was replacing, with all the accompanying problems of it working loose. I took 'em off my Mex and put the old buttons back on, same screws, and they're pretty solid so far.
[/quote]

Must be Fenders then. I've never owned one so I didn't know. None of the 40 or so guitars and basses I've fitted strap locks to had screws that were bigger than the supplied Schaller ones to cause this problem.