Why become a member? ×

Music man dual humbucker positioning

Owen

Hi all,

I am about to dig a hole in my MM5-alike to add another humbucker. Could anyone who has a double humbucker Stingray or Bongo measure where the second one is in relation to the bridge saddles (let's say from the D saddle).

Thanks

Owen

Edited by owen

I will measure my SR5 for you tomorrow. Best to go from the nut to the pick-up as the bridge saddles are moveable structures.

BTW Bongo and SR5 are different. Bongo HH bridge pick-up is closer than on the SR5.

Edited by obbm

From the front of the nut to the centre of the first row poles is 762.5mm (Interestingly it's a fraction over 30-inches)

From the front of the nut to the neck side of the pick-up is 750mm

From the front of the nut to the bridge side of the pick-up is 799mm

I hope this helps.

The deed is done. I now have two humbucker sized holes in my MM5 wanabee (Status neck, home made lump of birdseye/flamed maple capping a one piece ash body with a rosewood veneer). I have 2 Nordstrand triple coils to go in. The wiring instructions say that it is a direct replacement for a MM5 triple coil pickup - the trouble is that the original pick up in this particular bass was not a MM triple coil (but the routes have been done to fit it) so I actually have no wiring template. I have searched on the Seymour Duncan site. Could anyone offer any clues?

TIA as ever. It will be a fire breathing monster when done!

This is where it gets difficult for you because the coil switching is an integral part of the MM SR5 pre-amp.

In series and single coil + phantom mode the point where the coils are connected is at ground and the other ends of the coils go to two separate op-amp stages out of phase with each other. This cancels any external interference.

On my Stray5 with a Nordstrand and an East MM style pre-amp I separated out all the coils by adding an extra wire to the bundle that runs from the pick-up to the pre-amp and designed my own switching using an MM SR5 lever switch. It works but there is a level difference between the different settings. MM fix this by using a spare set of switch contacts to change the stage gain. Neat design. I've yet to tackle that one.

If you've got 2 pick-ups then you are going to have twice the fun trying to sort it. Good luck.

Back in the day I owned a SR5 (bought on a 4 hour detour on my honeymoon - how my brand new wife laughed!) I only ever used the phatest sound, not bothering with the other options. If I wire the pick-up for maximum phatness and don't bother with the rest is it still going to be a nightmare. Tech stoopid I am :)

I'm using an East MM-alike pre so does the whole "coil switching is an integral part of the MM SR5 pre-amp" apply?

Thanks as usual.

[quote name='obbm' post='77799' date='Oct 22 2007, 05:46 PM']This is where it gets difficult for you because the coil switching is an integral part of the MM SR5 pre-amp.

In series and single coil + phantom mode the point where the coils are connected is at ground and the other ends of the coils go to two separate op-amp stages out of phase with each other. This cancels any external interference.

On my Stray5 with a Nordstrand and an East MM style pre-amp I separated out all the coils by adding an extra wire to the bundle that runs from the pick-up to the pre-amp and designed my own switching using an MM SR5 lever switch. It works but there is a level difference between the different settings. MM fix this by using a spare set of switch contacts to change the stage gain. Neat design. I've yet to tackle that one.

If you've got 2 pick-ups then you are going to have twice the fun trying to sort it. Good luck.[/quote]

If your Nordys have 5 wires coming from them, then they are configured to work with the SR5 pre-amp. Like I said there is a work-around (as our colonial cousins would say), but you need to mod the pick-up and get a 3-way 4-pole switch for the coils switching.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread...

Did this project work out Owen? I've just picked up a Sterling SB14 from Garethfriend here and it has a fantastic sounding Nordstrand MM4.3 installed. It sounds great. Lean and mean. I'd love to add another Nordy MM4.2 or MM4.3 up front for a touch more flexibility and wire the whole shebang like a Stingray HH.

?Might go with a John East MMSR preamp too.

Pete

Edited by funkle

• 2 weeks later...