Why become a member? ×

Wood glue - what's the best one?

Hi Folks,

I've got an old Hondo Ricky copy thatI've had since 1977 - it was my 2nd ever bass and did a great job for me until I bought the real thing in 1980. Anyway, it's not in the best of condition, so I've decided to repair it to at least good working order because I'm feeling a bit sentimental about it (must be getting old!!).

Luckily, I've just bought some parts from robocorpse here on Basschat which is great for getting the tuners sorted out and the electrics but there's a problem with the neck which needs gluing right at the point where it joins the body...And, without getting that repair right, I'll never get it back to being playable...

..So, has anyone got advice on how best to repair a neck and what would be the strongest / best wood glue for the job?

Thanks

Nik

MB1. :)

Have just recently fixed a tanglewood acoustic guitar,the top had completely snapped off, tuners and all right across the thin part of the neck.i used hard as nails to repair this,tied and weighted the repair and left it for 24 hours.i then drilled and cross pinned the repair sunk the pin heads and filled the holes with wood filler.light sanding and staining. repair is 100% guitar stays in tune job done!
hard as nails in the tube works!

MB1.

[quote name='MB1' post='6481' date='May 25 2007, 01:46 PM']MB1. :)

Have just recently fixed a tanglewood acoustic guitar,the top had completely snapped off, tuners and all right across the thin part of the neck.i used hard as nails to repair this,tied and weighted the repair and left it for 24 hours.i then drilled and cross pinned the repair sunk the pin heads and filled the holes with wood filler.light sanding and staining. repair is 100% guitar stays in tune job done!
hard as nails in the tube works!

MB1.[/quote]

"I might be a bit out of touch, but Cascamite was what my Dad (and woodwork teacher at school) were always pushing - and it looks like it's still available..."

Cheers guys - will check them both out!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='6488' date='May 25 2007, 01:56 PM']"I might be a bit out of touch, but Cascamite was what my Dad (and woodwork teacher at school) were always pushing - and it looks like it's still available..."

Cheers guys - will check them both out!

Nik[/quote]
yep as above, when i worked in a guitar shop the luthier always used cascamite and made a roux with wood powder so you couldnt see the repair, but the way, how ya doing nik ?

[quote name='nig' post='6502' date='May 25 2007, 02:12 PM']yep as above, when i worked in a guitar shop the luthier always used cascamite and made a roux with wood powder so you couldnt see the repair, but the way, how ya doing nik ?[/quote]

[i]"I use Titebond 1 for all my guitar repairs/building."[/i]

Hi Nig, Paul_c

Thanks for the replies,

Well today I'm going to buy the glue and then will do the repair tomorrow. I'm officially CRAP at DIY, so this is probably not a good idea but I'm foolishly feeling quite confident?? :)

I'm good Nig - how about you? Still haven't got back to you about the L2500 have I, sorry! It's out of reach for me at the moment unfortunately but that may change soon...

Nik