Why become a member? ×

JBL K140 15" SPEAKER

This is a classic JBL K140 15-inch speaker, as used in the Fender Bassman and lots of other 1970s to 1980s American bass gear like Sunn. Considered by many to be one of the best-sounding bass guitar speakers ever made, it has been part of the standard backline of players like Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius, Francis Rocco Prestia, Mark Percy, Paul McCartney, Norman Watt-Roy and many others.

I’m not sure when JBL stopped making these, but this one was in a sealed box until a month ago when I opened it and installed it briefly in a cabinet to make sure it was OK. You can still smell the glues. It has not been run in, it is in perfect condition and sounds amazing.

I’ve decided to build myself a more compact system based on 12s and will not be needing this any more. It comes complete with the original JBL carton, leaflet and (unused) gasket.

It’s difficult to put a price on this, but I seem to remember they originally cost around £250. I’d like £70 for this one, which I suppose is a bargain for someone who wants to refurbish an original Fender Bassman cab. I don’t think you can even get a cast chassis 15” for less than £100 nowadays, let alone one with a 4-inch voice coil.

The spec is available from: www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/k_series.pdf. It works quite well in a compact (70-litre) bass cabinet, but anything up to 120 litres is OK. I'll post some photos later.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Jarhead' post='686849' date='Dec 16 2009, 10:50 PM']What is the Ohmage/Wattage on this?[/quote]
Hi Zach, it's in the brochure that I provided the link to. 8 ohms and 150W continuous sine wave / 300W continuous program.

Stevie

Just to chip in here, I have one of these (away for a recone at the moment as it was badly stored) and they can take wattages far in excess of the quoted 150w without any problems at all.

These are seriously butch speakers, and the tone is just lush.

• 8 months later...