Why become a member? ×

DOD FX25 Envelope Filter

Aussiephoenix

I have re-acquired one of these not long ago, (the original green version with 2 knobs), and only remembered now why it is that I sold the previous one...

I feel that it's uncontrollable... when the "wave" is at its extremes (be it highs or lows) its just too damn loud in comparison to its non-active sound... (difficult to explain this)

I'm looking to get a replacement. something that isnt too expensive, no, no boutique pedals please...

basically what I want is something that does give me that funky env filter, but something that keeps the volumes kinda steady... or not too over the top. has to be deep. (love that deep env filter sound) and a nice long sweep.

what do you recommend? know where I can hear some samples?

Cheers.
Aussie

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='75596' date='Oct 17 2007, 02:49 PM']have you tried the EH micro Qtron?
some complain of volume spikes, but i've not experienced it.
you can normally find them around the £65 -£70 mark[/quote]

if they are complaining of volume spikes, then my problem wouldnt be changing much would it? hehe.

Aww I loved mine but found it sounded GREAT with my then current bass (Marleaux) but not very nice with my others. It seems to work better with single pickup designs.

Since selling mine I now get my kicks from my Bass Pod which does a superb array of filtery goodness. I have samples of my FX25 and my Pod settings I will post when I get my computer back.

Cheers
ped

Get a Compressor and a small TB loop. Stick the filter and compressor in the loop. You can then kick in the compressor to tame the volume at the same time as kicking in the filter. That way you get consistent levels, with a filter you like. Would probably cost the same as a filter that would suit your needs.

[quote name='Higgie' post='75740' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:24 PM']Get a Compressor and a small TB loop. Stick the filter and compressor in the loop. You can then kick in the compressor to tame the volume at the same time as kicking in the filter. That way you get consistent levels, with a filter you like. Would probably cost the same as a filter that would suit your needs.[/quote]

i got the fx25 in the wobo 2 looper and right before the end of the chain of fx, OUT of the looper, I have the ebs multicomp...

maybe I need to recheck my compressor settings... :)

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='75772' date='Oct 17 2007, 09:00 PM']i got the fx25 in the wobo 2 looper and right before the end of the chain of fx, OUT of the looper, I have the ebs multicomp...

maybe I need to recheck my compressor settings... :)[/quote]

Not necessarily, you might have to compress it too much for your liking, to get rid of the volume spikes. A dedicated comp in a loop with the filter would work, but, you don't really want to go to that amount of effort/expense do you? Actually, a good one would be the behringer limiter/enhancer, 'cos it's very cheap and will deffinitely do the job.