Why become a member? ×

Your bands tuning?

MattyB90

Lol. I know that feeling. Once we were playing a show and I was running late but the band had taken my gear to the venur (must remember to run late more often). The guitarist from the other band used my tuner on his Ibanez JEM but didn't realise it was in flat mode and spend literally half an hour tuning until I got there and told him!!

For me it depends on the song we are doing (studio based) but my basses tend to be tuned:

Fretted 4 - Dflat
Fretless 4 - D
Fretted 5 - standard

standard.
although our guitar player knealt on his tuner once and accidentally recalibrated concert pitch from 440 to 450ish Hz and then tuned to it.
The rest of us had tuned to concert and I spent the following 30 minutes wondering what was wrong as he was adamant he'd tuned his guitar. Which of course he had I suppose.

I play a 5er...The guitarists can do what they like but I stay in BEADG lol. One of my bands has a 7 string player so he does the same, and the other guy just plays in standard. My other one is more of a recording band so the guitars are tuned to whatever fits the song...

Well in my last band, I tuned my 5 string to ADADG and the geetarer was tuned AADGBC. Yummy low rumblyness and dischordancy type squeaks!!

If you have a listen on ere - www.myspace.com/presoulnationuk - I Am Spartacus is the best one for making use of the dirty low notes, and a fair few of the other ones have the horrid dischordancy created by the BC tuned strings.

[quote name='ali-stare' post='6368' date='May 25 2007, 11:17 AM']standard but some times BADG for intros, fills or that occasional metal[/quote]

The guitarists I play with have lots of different tunings

[url="http://myspace.com/neoentity"]Neoentity[/url]
D
Drop C

[url="http://myspace.com/lostplanetband"]Lost Planet[/url]
E

[url="http://myspace.com/dmhsolo"]DMH[/url]
Eb
Open C#

As for me, I can't be doing with all that, so I play a 5 tuned BEADG

Our bands tuning: down a semi i.e.

Guitarist: Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb

Me: Eb, Ab, Db, Gb

The official reason is that it helps to fatten the sound up - (well that's what I tell the guitarist and drummer)

The real reason is that it helps me reach the high notes when I'm singing

Mart

Standard D (DGCF) for my metal band, and now all the time since I only have one bass and don't want to have to retune/re-set up every time I want to play with someone else. When I get a 5+ string I'll probably keep it tuned in standard tuning.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

Dr Blue play in standard tuning but we drop to Eflat for Eliminator , purely for easier singing purposes.

I keep my Status tuned down to D and use it for Dr Blue stuff in D or G. I find the low D note useful for these keys and I never quite got my head round flappy 5's. The concept of a middle string puts me off and I lose it when I have to go onto auto pilot when singing.

Standard tuning. Spent a lot of time in previous bands downtuning, my first proper band was tuned to A which was just silly. When I started my last band I wanted everything in standard for the true sound of our instruments. It just sounds so much better IMO. Finally found a singer who can actually belt it out in standard as well, which is half the battle with tuning.

If it's my six string, it usually stays in BEADGC, although occasionally I might tune the low B down to A. For four string, nearly always EADG but I might occasionally use Drop D.

For solo gigs, mainly standard tuned 6 string, but I do use a couple of altered tunings - CEADGC, CEACGC and AEACGA and occasionally a capo.

The Ashbory takes far too long to retune so stays in EADG (although if you pop the E string out of the nut, you can get a nice open C :) )
Cheers,
Alun