Why become a member? ×

Your bands tuning?

MattyB90

My old metal band both the guitartists had 7 strings (gotta luv the good old nu metal days) and we tuned to A[i]b[/i]. I hated playing that low the Ab (B on my six string) sounded like a wet fart and i had to use stuidly high gaued strings.

DGCF or ADGCF depending if I'm using a 4 or 5 string.

In the studio though it's EADG and BEADG

3 of my 4 strings have drop tuners so I can drop to D or C depending on if they are down a tone or in standard

Cheers

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='12424' date='Jun 5 2007, 12:42 PM']DGCF or ADGCF depending if I'm using a 4 or 5 string.

In the studio though it's EADG and BEADG

3 of my 4 strings have drop tuners so I can drop to D or C depending on if they are down a tone or in standard

Cheers[/quote]
Why do you tune differently live and in the studio?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='12542' date='Jun 5 2007, 03:09 PM']Why do you tune differently live and in the studio?[/quote]

Because the producer makes the singer sing everything as high as humanly possibly which live just isn't realistic night after night.

Also makes it sound heavier live.

I play 5 strings in a function band and I also teach bass so nowadays I pretty much stick to BEADG. I was in a technical instrumental metal band a while ago and for that I tuned one 5 string to Bb standard and the other AEADG. For my original rock band I keep my 5's to BEADG and my 4's to DADG.

Functions Band - E,A,D,G (although we did once experiment with down a half-step, but only to see if the singer noticed :) ) Tis my Jazz Bass.

First Signs Of Frost
- Older Tunes D,A,D,G (before i joined, we still play a couple of them though, so i have my Corvette $$ in D)
- Newer Tunes C,F,Bb,Eb (since i've joined, Basically drop C standard). My 'ThingRay' is setup for this, with Newtone Strings she sounds awesome!.

Si

Edited by Sibob