Why become a member? ×

Yamahas! Whats the attraction! Am i missing something?

phsycoandy

And what is in your stable?

I guess the toys listed in your sig? If so its not surprising your underwhelmed!

Yams are fabulous fer what they cost and thats the whole point. For what they cost they play way above their relative value..... Can they be bettered? of course they can.... but then so can Japanese cars, hi- fis, the list goes on.... You'll never get excited about owning one but it wont let you down and it will be excellent value for money....

Was my Yam anywhere near as good as my PRSs... of course it wasnt but then it cost less than 10% of the PRS.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='75759' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:45 PM']Loads of u guys use Yammys, Ive tried a few in shops and been totaly underwhelmed, by the sound, and presence let alone the lack of mystique of say a Fender and indeed any future residual value. Please put me right.[/quote]
It is funny how some makes just don't float your boat. I've a soft spot for Aria basses but like you have never been taken by Yamaha. I think a lot of it is down to looks.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='75759' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:45 PM']Loads of u guys use Yammys, Ive tried a few in shops and been totaly underwhelmed, by the sound, and presence let alone the lack of mystique of say a Fender and indeed any future residual value. Please put me right.[/quote]I have a Yam bass, it's a lovely instrument. I've been very impressed with all the Yams I've ever tried.
I see you have a '75 Precision. Well last time I played a Fender P-bass, I hated it. What, I thought to myself, is all the fuss about.

Funny thing, this differing individual taste, innit? :huh: :)

Some very good points made and noted, I suppose it has some bearing on what budget is available and what you can expect for the money as it were, if Yammys punch above their weight all well and good, but the ones I tried were with a tad mass produced sort of feel, i know they all are but u get my drift.

Current ones are a bit mass produced but still amazing for the cash. The bridge is the only weak thing on them - swap that for a Gotoh or similar and you've got a 500 quid bass for half of that. They do benefit for a good set-up and a cranking up of the EQ. And then you get [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQf--RoI-7Y&mode=related&search=jamiroquai%20bass%20stuart%20zender%20ste%20stefano%20funk"]this kind of sound.[/url]

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='grosa' post='75786' date='Oct 17 2007, 09:49 PM']my bridge doesnt seem weak.

i like trb's,i wouldn't say they feel cheap or anything.
but there are some yam's that i wouldnt go near
but some id really like to have[/quote]

Agreed. The fretted TRB6s (TRB6, TRB6P, TRB6PII, TRB1006) I have played in the past have been some of my favourite instruments regarding sound, feel and tone, but over the years I also think they have lost something about them. I was gutted when I had to sell mine. Although I can't stand any other Yamaha looks-wise. Although, I was quite impressed with the sound of one of those yamaha BBs when i was convinced by a mate who works at one of the Sound Controls, but it still looked horrible.

Now that I am back looking for a five string fretted I may check out the current TRB 5s.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='75869' date='Oct 18 2007, 01:31 AM']but it still looked horrible.[/quote]
fair play mate i seen some right minging looking bb's
i thought my nathan east body wasn't too bad lookswise in comparison to some,but the necks really nice and it sounds good. but i do find it uncomfortable after a while but that may be me sketchy forearm.

i think the older trb's are a lot nicer than the newest ones.
really wanted a six string off here actually

I got a Yamaha BB2005 with an open mind, perfectly willing to get rid of it if it wasn't right, and I've been very pleased with its big, clear sound. It's not quite hi-fi, the front pickup has a lot of character. It's perfect for the funk/pop stuff I play in my current band.

[quote name='phsycoandy' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:45 PM' post='75759']
Loads of u guys use Yammys, Ive tried a few in shops and been totaly underwhelmed, by the sound, and presence let alone the lack of mystique of say a Fender and indeed any future residual value. Please put me right.

MB1. :)

They used to make good Motorbikes?

[quote name='stingrayfan' date='Oct 21 2007, 11:16 PM' post='77562']
I had another look at my BB614 tonight and I take back what I said about it being a bit mass produced. If it had Fender on the headstock, people would coo about how well it was made

MB1. :)
only if it were American!

[quote name='MB1' post='77590' date='Oct 22 2007, 12:04 AM']MB1. :)

And pianos...and outboard motors....... seems it pays to diversify?[/quote]

i found all the instruments they do
not in one like,although that would be interesting

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_products"][b]stuff that yamaha make[/b][/url]

As Martin says, most of the Yamahas are good working tools, but a little on the bland side. If you're looking for an excellent quality budget bass, they're ideal - Like a BB414 or the active 614, but there's no soul there.

The only ones I like are the TRB series. Great growl on these & exquisite craftsmanship. Something you really want to own. I had a TRB5 Nathan East and wish I'd never had sold it. Am currently about to buy a TRB6-II in the next week or so.

I have a TRB6P and love it.Had the electrics re-done by bernie goodfellow.Lovely large spacing on strings!Even when I cannot afford to change strings as frequently as I should,it sings,sparkles and growls to order.I would say don`t be put off by blandness of look,but let your ears and fingers decide.

Edited by jhk

[quote name='MB1' post='77609' date='Oct 22 2007, 01:16 AM']MB1. :)

That list reminded me of the statement...."jack of all trades and master of none"..... impressive?.... does that make me want to buy a bass off them?........er.....NO!.[/quote]

I ought to agree. And based on some of their instruments, I'd make you absolutely right.
But...

TRBs (generally)
614s
414s
RBX 374s
Attitudes

That I've tried tend to suggest otherwise.
Especially the Attitude that I bought. It's MIJ, for starters! And the engineering content/construction quality matches all but the best boutique basses out there.
It's idiosyncratic, but that's Billy Sheehan's fault!

My first bass was a yam, RBX 170, great instrument for the price, and I think thats the point, Yamaha's a great instruments for the price, and fr the price your not going to get an Alembic style quality. They have a few high priced instruments as well which are beautiful, and I truly belive that apart from ibanez you can get 6 strings at such high quality for the price in the TRB series - thats why Im looking to get one :)