Why become a member? ×

Yamahas! Whats the attraction! Am i missing something?

phsycoandy

wouldn't change my attitudes for anything...I am ayamaha player, I come from far away and I can play - i play the bass guitar.....

no fender nor derivative copy can touch them...............................................game and fight on!!! :)

Its all down to taste and depth of pocket I guess.

Yammys have never really done much for me, I think partially on the look side of things, though a few very good instruments are to be had at the higher specs. then again, you're getting into a pricerange where, for me, there are much more interesting things about like the TRB5PII someone was talking about up there.

Overall, I find their basses FAT (not in a good way, but in a ugly and uncomfortable way), bland electronics, and very rapidly declining value in the 2nd hand market.

considering mass production, I'd definitly go for a Fender or even an Ibby before I settled on a Yammy but thats me.

I must admit I do love Ibanez and wish I'd never sold my SRX700. I currently own a BB415 and an 80's BB300 and like Ronseal they do exactly what it says on the tin. No frills, bells or whistles but if you want a P-bass sound, the BB300 does it admirably. Having previously owned a MIM Precision, I can honestly say that I wouldn't waste my money on another. The most disturbing fault with it was that I could rest my hand on the upper side of the neck, press down gently and the neck would move in the pocket to a degree where the G string was right on the edge of the fretboard. There is a piece of footage on YouTube [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=twEvRB9raZo"]here[/url] where at 1:39 you'll hear Billy Sheehan say that he had exactly the same problem with his old Precision hence his 'defection' to Yamaha.
In the past, I've also owned a transluscent green RBX760A, a TRB1005 and a BB414. Admittedly the BB series may not be as sexy looking as some other basses, but I don't wear my bass as a fashion statement. Function is my primary reason for owning a particular bass and I can say hand-on-heart that I've never played a bad Yamaha. They are reasonably priced honest workhorses that won't let you down.

Mark

I've always loved the growly punchy tone of the BB basses but haven't played one. I have, at various points, played a couple of TRB5s - a fretless and a piezo equipped fretted, and a couple of the original John Myung signature six strings and have really liked all of them.

Still tempted to get a TRB6 one day.

Cheers,
Alun

For me their instruments are a bit like their bikes (I'ma biker too) - usually not the best spec or most exciting designs, but there's something nice about them when you've got one!

My six string accoustic (f310) is Yam's cheapest accoustic, but I've had it ten years and can't find anything within another £100 that sounds better to my ears plus its really comfortable to play.

[quote name='clauster' post='79096' date='Oct 24 2007, 09:00 PM']For me their instruments are a bit like their bikes (I'ma biker too) - usually not the best spec or most exciting designs, but there's something nice about them when you've got one!

My six string accoustic (f310) is Yam's cheapest accoustic, but I've had it ten years and can't find anything within another £100 that sounds better to my ears plus its really comfortable to play.[/quote]
never tried to ride my yam,as such.not like a yz250 sm anyway.
you seen these?
i know it not a proper bike but crikey imagine causing mayhem on one o these!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-RAPTOR-ROAD-LEGAL-QUAD-BIKE-ATV-TURBO_W0QQitemZ140171429016QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]BONKERS MACHINE OF DELIGHT[/url]

[quote name='grosa' post='79195' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:52 AM']never tried to ride my yam,as such.not like a yz250 sm anyway.
you seen these?
i know it not a proper bike but crikey imagine causing mayhem on one o these!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-RAPTOR-ROAD-LEGAL-QUAD-BIKE-ATV-TURBO_W0QQitemZ140171429016QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]BONKERS MACHINE OF DELIGHT[/url][/quote]

Cripes :S That's alot of power for a quad!

[quote name='Buzz' post='79206' date='Oct 25 2007, 02:55 AM']Cripes :S That's alot of power for a quad![/quote]
im going to have to have one in the new year.
cant.......... resist
it'd mega fun in the snow with appropriate wheels and tyres on.

Edited by grosa

I am firmly in the Yamaha camp, for years I've wanted something with a little more Kudos but there's just nothing I prefer.

You can't beat Yamaha for value for money. I own several basses, some worth more than double what my TRB is worth and it is by far the most played instrument I own. Sounds great, plays well, not the prettiest bass but the look is the least important thing IMHO. On any session I've done the engineer/producer will always prefer the sound of the yamaha.

The TRB5PII and TRB6PII are amongst the finest boutique basses that you can buy, play and sound amazing & look nicer than the regular TRB range, but then you are talking serious money :)

I think it's purley down to bass player snobbery.

I had a BB1600 that was PJ and loaded with EMG's. Man I miss that bass. The neck was great and very thin at the nut, almost more than a jazz. It was very resonate and just seem to always sit right in the mix. You could get both a modern sound and a good vintage thump from it. Why did I sell it? (kicks self again)

I have a TRB6, TRB5II and BB1500A.

The TRB6 oozes class and build quality and has the punchiest gut-pounding bottom-end of any of my basses. Slightly hissy electronics, but not noticeably so in most situations.
The TRB5II feels slightly inferior in build and resonance, but still delivers great tone.
The BB1500A is simply the dog's. Jazz-style playability with more flexible active tone (if you like that kind of thing, which I do). Just seems to sit perfectly in a mix. Slapper's delight!

Hi,
Thought I'd chip in on this one as I've got two (a cheap BBN5 with an EMG BTC circuit added & a TRB5). I also had a really nice BB1100S which I had to sell to help pay for my wedding last year.

IMHO you really can't go wrong with Yamaha - it's well made kit with a decent rep & you can't fail to get a good sound of any of their basses provided they've been set up properly. My BB1100S had a great tone & I gigged that for 7 or 8 years with no complaints from anyone whatsoever. Same with the other two which I've got now (I used my TRB5 on Sunday night & it cut through very nicely indeed).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

For what it's worth my first 'proper' bass was a RBX800A - what a great bass if memory serves, neck on it was lovely, followed by a TRB5F which I still have (however it's at dad's at the moment, trying to get him to play fretless :huh: - was my 21st birthday present and that too was a great bass...

I say was, only because I've moved on an Overwater Progress III Fretless 5 and and in comparison the Overwater is better in every way than than Yamaha, as you would expect for something that cost more than double - that said it's all relative the TRB5F served my very well for a good six or seven years and of course has a certain amount of sentimental value.

As previously mentioned you know exactly what you're going to get from a Yamaha, whether it's a bass, a bike, or a brass instrument - honest, reliable, well crafted and good value :)

Edited by jwbassman

My RBX775 served me well, i'd consider it a mid-ranged instrument and sounds and looks great. I defretted it this year as I didn't want to part with it but had better fretted basses (Jazz/Stingray). It's likely to be a keeper.. since 2nd hand Yamaha prices are stupidly low.

The BB614 I had i'd GAS'd over for ages, it was a great instrument but like some people say, didn't have that vibe a Fender can have.