Why become a member? ×

Valve preamp question.

6stringbassist

I'm currently using an Epifani UL502 head.

I'd like to get a valve preamp to somehow incorporate into my rig, it'll hopefully give me loads more tonal options, not that I'm lacking in that department, but I do like that valve sound.

The question is, what's the best way of connecting them together, I've read somewhere about putting the valve pre into the effects loop of the Epi, but how does that work ?.

And where do I plug my bass into, the Epi or the valve pre.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='75857' date='Oct 18 2007, 12:18 AM']Hi
Thanks, but I'm not really after an overdiven sort of sound, just a thicker, warmer sound.[/quote]

The VT1 will do clean sounds as well. In fact, depending on th valve you stick in there, it may not do overdrive at all. The preamp comparison sticky at the top is a good pointer for that sort of thing. There so much variation for sound and gain type it's great!
Even with a 12AX7 in it, you can still get quite a bit of clean out of it which is he great thing about Dave's pedals. There's a lot of different sounds to be had in such a simple looking box.

If not a MK3 then the [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20VT1-StandardBass.html"]VT1 Standard[/url] will still most likley fit the bill.

Andy

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='75829' date='Oct 17 2007, 11:18 PM']I'm currently using an Epifani UL502 head.

I'd like to get a valve preamp to somehow incorporate into my rig, it'll hopefully give me loads more tonal options, not that I'm lacking in that department, but I do like that valve sound.

The question is, what's the best way of connecting them together, I've read somewhere about putting the valve pre into the effects loop of the Epi, but how does that work ?.

And where do I plug my bass into, the Epi or the valve pre.[/quote]

In answer to your question about connection, there are a variety of ways.

1 - Using the the valve preamp as your pre you could either plug into the pre then into the front of your amp this can have various problems but for some amps it works OK.
2 - Use the valve pre into your effects return and you basically use the pre for your tone manipulation and the power section of your Epi provides the power.
3 - Plug into the front end of your Epi and have the valve pre in the effects send and return.

There is always a bit of trial and error with any of these and some may well not work as well as others (my TF won't even work with a stomp box effects pedal into the front end of the amp, they HAVE to go in the effects loop). TBH two of those suggestions mean that the Epi basically becomes a poweramp which is a waste. You should be able to get the option of combining the Epi and valve preamp and being able to use the tone controls from both BUT I've never tried it with an Epi so can't say for a fact that is the case. At worst/best you'd get a kind of channel switching amp so that you can use either/or but that is dependent upon whether you can switch the effects loop in and out, again I don't know the amp so can't comment.

Not much use I'm afraid but if you can borrow a pre you'd be able to try this out.

i did exactly this with the Thunderfunk that I owned, and a Demeter valve pre amp. feed the line out of the pre into the effects return of the Epi should work as Warwickhunt has already mentioned.

I found that I ended up just not using the pre of the TF at all as I prefered the warmer sound of the valve, and the TF became just a EQ and power stage. And thats why I sold it.

Have you checked out www.basstasters.com ? some good sound clips on there of quite a number of preamps