Why become a member? ×

Wireless Systems

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='13706' date='Jun 7 2007, 05:20 PM']Hehehe Don't laugh but I've never changed the frequency on it :) so I wouldn't know, I wouldn't have thought it would have gone up in such high jumps of 30mhz though. Just checking though are any of you guys finding the AKG 400 for less than 199?

FYI people looking for a cheap good wireless ElliotMinor is selling on the AKG bugs in the For Sale Section they are great units as long as you don't throw your bass around your head :huh:[/quote]

£199s the cheapest i've found so far tho a shop on ebay is selling for £210 BIN, with a best offer option so might get it cheaper.

i think what i wrote was a bit confusing, what i meant was most wireless packs with selectable frequencies will only have a selectable range of 30MHZ in 25kHz jumps so from 660 - 690MHz in 25kHz jumps giving 1200 selectable frequencies. So i would assume it would be the same with the akg system, usualy the frequency range is writen on the back of the body pack.

[quote name='oddjob' post='13709' date='Jun 7 2007, 05:35 PM']£199s the cheapest i've found so far tho a shop on ebay is selling for £210 BIN, with a best offer option so might get it cheaper.

i think what i wrote was a bit confusing, what i meant was most wireless packs with selectable frequencies will only have a selectable range of 30MHZ in 25kHz jumps so from 660 - 690MHz in 25kHz jumps giving 1200 selectable frequencies. So i would assume it would be the same with the akg system, usualy the frequency range is writen on the back of the body pack.[/quote]

835.000 - 861.900

Hope this helps

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='13706' date='Jun 7 2007, 05:20 PM']Hehehe Don't laugh but I've never changed the frequency on it :) so I wouldn't know, I wouldn't have thought it would have gone up in such high jumps of 30mhz though. Just checking though are any of you guys finding the AKG 400 for less than 199?

FYI people looking for a cheap good wireless ElliotMinor is selling on the AKG bugs in the For Sale Section they are great units as long as you don't throw your bass around your head :huh:[/quote]

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/froogle/26109/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/froogle/26109/[/url]

[url="http://www.dvguitars.com/invt/26109/"]http://www.dvguitars.com/invt/26109/[/url]

Once I find out whether a power supply is included (it's not listed but I'm sure it will be) I'll order from one of these sites.

My GB has now become part of my sound. I find once the band start up you wouldnt know i was using it.
I do find i switch my amp off during breaks anyway so i dont get any thuds but then as my bass is active i always unplug the transmitter as well.
Im now going to get another for my other band. for £99 i find its fantastic not having a lead hanging down my leg.
Great for sound checking from out front as well. Im the only one in my band that can sit at the bar during sound checks.

[quote name='Toasted' post='6941' date='May 26 2007, 02:37 AM']X2 :)[/quote]
That's what I'm getting as well. Actually, I have one on order from the States, as soon as I'll get paid by the end of the month I'll complete the payment and have it sent to me... so I'll have a review in a little more than a month. Both on reviews and on specs though it's easily the best buy for the money at the moment.

Ok, I am now the proud owner of the AKG WMS 400 - and I did a quick AB test with a cable.

If anyone would like, I can post up the recording for you all to hear for yourselves - I recorded the sound of my jazz through my Bass PODxt with a cable, and then with the AKG wireless.

The difference? Minimal, very slight bit of compression with the wireless, no tone difference, and certainly plenty of low end!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='17042' date='Jun 13 2007, 05:01 PM']Ok, I am now the proud owner of the AKG WMS 400 - and I did a quick AB test with a cable.

If anyone would like, I can post up the recording for you all to hear for yourselves - I recorded the sound of my jazz through my Bass PODxt with a cable, and then with the AKG wireless.

The difference? Minimal, very slight bit of compression with the wireless, no tone difference, and certainly plenty of low end![/quote]

I'm most definately convinced now. With both you and Tayste extolling the virtues of the AKG I shall certainly be ordering one.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='17042' date='Jun 13 2007, 05:01 PM']Ok, I am now the proud owner of the AKG WMS 400 - and I did a quick AB test with a cable.

The difference? Minimal, very slight bit of compression with the wireless, no tone difference, and certainly plenty of low end![/quote]

Thats the same reciever that i got with my AKG GB, all for £99. I have done ove 100 gigs with it now and not once have i had any issues apart from the fact that its fixed feq so once or twice i have had to not use it.
I quite like the slight bass boost it gives me but dont like the extra top end but to be honest i just EQ it out.
I dont agree about no tone difference. there is. whether you can hear it or not when playing with a band is another thing. When i first got mine i tried it out through ym PC using headphones and there is a low and top boost but that really isn't the way to use it and you dont hear it at most gigs. Only when you go through a big PA is when it can become a problem but i find that depends on the sound guy. If he is willing ot work with that its fine but i have come accross one who insisted i dont use it because it was noisy.

End of the day i find its so much nicer to not have a thick cable hanging down my leg and its great for sound checks

[quote name='Muppet' post='6891' date='May 25 2007, 11:01 PM']I've got the Sennheiser 172 also (not the G2 but the older model). It's exceptional in my opinion, apart from the rubbish instrument lead that is supplied with it.[/quote]

Having made you a new lead I thought I'd better make myself a new one with a view to using my 172 at Loxwood Beer Festival today however trying out my 172 system I found that it is no a patch on a direct cable. I'm not sure how to describe it but with a cable the bass is crystal clear but with the 172 it's just .... If it were an optical system I would say it was out of focus. It's put me right off using it again. Maybe faulty I'll have to see who Senheisser recommend to service them.

Guys
Im after getting a 172G2 system and i have a couple of questions for any owners.
The reason im getting one is because we are starting to get in to the holiday camps and at the last one there were 7 radio mics in operation so i couldn't use my fixed feq one.
How easy is it to find a clear freq using the 172? can i just leave it on auto and let it scan for a clear channel or do i have to do something with it? Basically im sure that the staff at these places wont know what they are using so will be no help to me.

And the second question (obbm, are you reading this) how long is the connecting lead? and does it have a right angled jack on it?
And if not Dave, can you knock me one up quickly if i need one?

Cheers guys.

[quote name='obbm' post='18739' date='Jun 16 2007, 11:00 AM']Having made you a new lead I thought I'd better make myself a new one with a view to using my 172 at Loxwood Beer Festival today however trying out my 172 system I found that it is no a patch on a direct cable. I'm not sure how to describe it but with a cable the bass is crystal clear but with the 172 it's just .... If it were an optical system I would say it was out of focus. It's put me right off using it again. Maybe faulty I'll have to see who Senheisser recommend to service them.[/quote]

Well Dave as you know, I use both your instrument cables and a 172, with your new lead for that too. I have no problems at all. If I was ultra critical I'd say that my system drops out a little lower frequencies AND adds to the higher frequencies, but the sound is still great. I have noticed, however, that I get different results albeit negligible, when using different rigs. Is the unit set correctly both at the transmitter and receiver end? I have the transmitter set with a -10db cut, and then adjust the receiver with the red attenuator knob on the back to equal the gain levels that I experience with a cable. Not really sorted out the squelch though.

Steve

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='19551' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:05 PM']Guys
Im after getting a 172G2 system and i have a couple of questions for any owners.
The reason im getting one is because we are starting to get in to the holiday camps and at the last one there were 7 radio mics in operation so i couldn't use my fixed feq one.
How easy is it to find a clear freq using the 172? can i just leave it on auto and let it scan for a clear channel or do i have to do something with it? Basically im sure that the staff at these places wont know what they are using so will be no help to me.

And the second question (obbm, are you reading this) how long is the connecting lead? and does it have a right angled jack on it?
And if not Dave, can you knock me one up quickly if i need one?

Cheers guys.[/quote]

Dave - I can only answer for the older 172 system but I assume they are similar. It has two modes. You can pre programme a number of preset frequencies in the receiver and then store these for recall later (although you can't do this in the transmitter) or you can tune manually just as you would manual tune a radio with a digital readout. Scanning for clear frequencies would rely on all wireless equipment being operational at the moment of scan for itto be worthwhile.

The lead question (if I may answer) - the original is very long - well over a metre and very poor quality. It has a straight moulded 1/4" jack on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other with a locking collar that screws on to the transmitter pack.

OBBM made me a Van Damme cable with a locking 3.5mm jack on one end and a Neutrik right angled muting jack on the other, which is superb.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
sounds like the lead is rubbish then. if i get the system ill get Dave to make me up a shorter one.
The thing is with these gigs is that until the show starts i wont know what freq's are in use as its normally only us at sound check. I doubt there will be anyone in the function room with a system on while we are playing but im worried that i might come out of the PA in a room close by.
I need to look in to how these things work i guess.
If, once im playing, someone else turns a radio system on will mine have priority on the freq or will i get both signals coming out of my receiver?
Basic questions but so far i haven't had any issues at gigs so no experience in sorting them out but if i do i want to be able to sort it out instantly.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='19577' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:55 PM']Thanks Steve.
sounds like the lead is rubbish then. if i get the system ill get Dave to make me up a shorter one.
The thing is with these gigs is that until the show starts i wont know what freq's are in use as its normally only us at sound check. I doubt there will be anyone in the function room with a system on while we are playing but im worried that i might come out of the PA in a room close by.[/quote]

The lead is defintely rubbish and Dave's is so much better.

As far as how things work, I would imagine it would end up with bot transmitting devices coming out of both receiving devices, or at least one interrupting the other. I don't think one would necessarily take priority over the other.

[quote name='Muppet' post='19621' date='Jun 18 2007, 02:01 PM']The lead is defintely rubbish and Dave's is so much better.

As far as how things work, I would imagine it would end up with bot transmitting devices coming out of both receiving devices, or at least one interrupting the other. I don't think one would necessarily take priority over the other.[/quote]

Thanks Steve.
I now need to make my mind up what to get. Im sure ill be happy with the AKG WMS400 system but i have heard so many good things about the 172G2 but its almost double the price.

Right, just ordered a WMS400 from DV.
looks complicated compared to my AKG GB. im sure ill have fun with it though.

If it arrives in time ill take both units with me to the gig on Sat. see if there is a difference.
Out of interest, im assuming i can use my GB transmitter with the WMS400 receiver as they operate in the same range.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='20085' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:41 AM']Right, just ordered a WMS400 from DV.
looks complicated compared to my AKG GB. im sure ill have fun with it though.

If it arrives in time ill take both units with me to the gig on Sat. see if there is a difference.
Out of interest, im assuming i can use my GB transmitter with the WMS400 receiver as they operate in the same range.[/quote]

Yeah you should be able to tune the reciever in to the bug's frequency.

I'm kinda hoping that someone here doesn't like it so I can get one a bit cheaper :) I really want to replace my backup wireless.

Cheers.
As im in two bands im going to use one for each band although i can swap over if i have to. With my main band ill use the WMS400 as i need to go out fornt for sound checks so i have to be able to use a wireless system. For my other ill use +the GB as i dont need to move out at all so its no big deal if i use it or not, just keeps the stage a bit clearer (and by stage i mean corner of the room)
As long as the WMS400 is as good as the GB then thats all i need.

Well it arrived yesterday and i must say im impressed with it.
Only tried it at home via the PC but sound wise its nice. I wont even think about comparing it to a lead as i know the lead will win but for the convenience the AKG provides im sticking with it. Ive not had any issues with my GB and im hoping i wont with the WMS400.
It seems easy to use but complicated to understand if that makes sense. I have read the manual a few times but struggling to understand it fully but as the system is working ok i might just leave it at that. The only thing i really need to learn is how to change freq if i run in to trouble and i think ive sussed that out ok.
Only downside (for me) is the two Ariel connectors sticking out the back. As i wont be using the case (ill just put it in my amp bag) im hoping they wont get damaged. I might even try and leave the ariel's on when in transit in case i lose one.
looking forward to sats gig when i can run to the bar during the looooong guitar solo's

EDIT: forgot to ask, is this unit discontinued as i cant find reference to it on AKG's website.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='oddjob' post='21986' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:49 PM']it's on the website [url="http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,958,pid,958,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html"]http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslav...anguage,EN.html[/url]
but looks like its been replaced by the WMS450[/quote]

Thanks. I did find it just after i posted the message, guess i should have edited it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='15251' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:24 PM']That's what I'm getting as well. Actually, I have one on order from the States, as soon as I'll get paid by the end of the month I'll complete the payment and have it sent to me... so I'll have a review in a little more than a month. Both on reviews and on specs though it's easily the best buy for the money at the moment.[/quote]
Well, the X2 digital wireless arrived to day and I'm pretty impressed with it - although I expected nothing less from the reviews. I haven't A/Bed it against a cable, as I play through my studio monitors and they have no deep bass response, so I'll save that for a band practice (unfortunately, we don't play much lately, so this might take a while). What I liked is that it looks much more sturdy than I thought. It's plastic, but FAR from the usual kind of plastic you see in cheap effects etc. I also love the tone - or lack of. I can't hear any difference, although as I said the real test will be at the studio. So far, thumbs up.

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='30828' date='Jul 12 2007, 05:28 PM']Well, the X2 digital wireless arrived to day and I'm pretty impressed with it - although I expected nothing less from the reviews. I haven't A/Bed it against a cable, as I play through my studio monitors and they have no deep bass response, so I'll save that for a band practice (unfortunately, we don't play much lately, so this might take a while). What I liked is that it looks much more sturdy than I thought. It's plastic, but FAR from the usual kind of plastic you see in cheap effects etc. I also love the tone - or lack of. I can't hear any difference, although as I said the real test will be at the studio. So far, thumbs up.[/quote]

nice one.
I was so tempted to order one as well but the battery life put me off.
Im very happy with my WMS400 now, even though it cut out once during a gig.
We played three shows last weekend and i was standing at the back of the largest venue sound checking and i could hear no noise or any nasty sounds (apart from our guitarist) coming through the house PA.

Interested in your thoughts when you do gig it.

Hi Guys,

like many of us on here, I do my best to ensure I achieve a good bass tone (Good Instrument, quality cable, decent amp...... etc etc) I believe in keeping the integrity of the signal path and any weak link is lost tone !

I've always been sceptical of a wireless systems ability to keep the integrity of the signal path......

Well....... just invested in a Sennheiser EW172

No difference on a gig...... !! if you sit in your living room and A/B with a quality cable, there is a slight loss of low end, easily compensated for with EQ.....

Superb !!!