Why become a member? ×

Some help with me pots'd be much appreciated

GreeneKing

Yo

I had a parcel in the post today with Tigran's booster and a 'ganged' or stacked pot so that I can have tone, volume and the booster in the two holes.

1st, the vol and tone pots on the Lakland (Bob Glaub P) are 250K. The stacked pots are 500k. This is the number written on da top. Do I need a new stacked pot that matches the old pots?

On the stacked pot there is no capacitor but there is on my tone pot, between an end terminal and pot ground.

Is the configuration of the pots standard? The r/h on all 4 is grounded (except for the tone pot - double checked), and the l/h on the stacked pots is commoned. If I set out to replicate the connections I'll need to break this common 'short' and add the tone pot cap. Will this be okay?

Does any of this make any sense? I'll try a photo.

I haven't even go to the booster unit yet but that seems quite straightforward. Ideally I was just hoping to replicate the connections from the two pots to the stacked ones but the 500k and commoned terminals have got me an ickle bit stressed.

Here's the pots. Can't get a decent photo of the stacked one - too much glare.

Peter.

Well overwhelmed with the technical help I carried on and fitted the stacked 500K pots and fitted the Villex Passive Rotary Booster as supplied by Tigran.

Well here's some feedback. I finished at midnight and now I'm knackered

No, seriously. This is a bit drawn out so pull up a chair, open a beer etc. I'm using an EBS Microbass II into a Roland Cube 30 with a set of Beyer headphones connected to the MB together with a Peterson strobe tuner . I has a real problem a couple of days ago with a constant noise from the headphones, like interference. I 1st tried re-locating the Microbass and then ran it on battery power and only sorted the problem by changing to a cheaper set of Sennheiser headphones.

Yesterday although the bass was working it sounded muddy and had a strange sort of feedback when strings were allowed to 'ring' slightly. The gain and volume on the amp were turned down really low too. The Villex booster was working but the problems were distracting from its effect. When the volume was wound up fully on the bass there was some distortion too.

Exasperated I plugged the bass straight into the amp and

[b][size=6]Wow[/size][/b]

I would say that changing to the 500K pots has enhanced the range of tones available without the Villex in play no end, great. No problems at all with the volume control and the Beyer headphones work perfectly straight from the amp.

Using the Villex produes a more subtle effect than I expected but that's no bad thing in that it enhances the bass in a series of stages that I would compare to having 4 different sets of pickups fitted.

The Lakland P is a great bass and it's now even more P bass punchy and the tone pot gives more treble available so clanky Ric is a can do trick.

Very pleased, and with a black knob topped off with a chrome one to match the Villex one it all looks very neat too.

Oh and I've now got a Microbass I need to sort out. I suspect the receipt's dissapeared during my move :)

Peter