Why become a member? ×

Important changes to the marketplace

ped

Ped, I think this is an excellent move and I have been hoping for this to become the rule for some time. It gives a level of transparency to marketplace sellers that we have never had before. So not only does it keep things fair by putting the snide and greedy practice of "pm me offers plz" to bed, it also makes the marketplace much more user friendly and streamlined! If you see a good bass for a good price now, you know you can buy outright rather than having to risk a silly bidding war behind closed doors! (Something I never even bothered getting into!).

Cheers for a smart move and doing the right thing! :)

its just a greedy way of sellers trying to get the most they can get for their equipment, this isnt ebay.

State a price, or what basses you wish to trade/trade guide price.

I agree with whats been said above, iv seen plenty of basses on here i could see myself buying, but im not guessing a price.

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='693690' date='Dec 26 2009, 01:07 PM']Ped understand where you coming from and also understand the such and such and he said she etc etc .. As I have had to deal with it like wise but I still totally disagree with keeping this law and there are plenty of places to list basses for free without using Ebay ... such as gumtree, findit freeads etc we could be here all day. But I still think it takes away rights from the seller if we are trying to achieve a flat and fair playing field.[/quote]
In the nicest possible way - we are providing this forum for free and it's probably the best place there is for selling it to someone honest that will not cause you problems, I think it's a bit grumpy to complain when a simple rule is introduced for the general benefit of the community. It's a topic that's been mentioned for months and months, has been reviewed and general consensus taken into account.

[quote name='Machines' post='698299' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:36 PM']In the nicest possible way - we are providing this forum for free and it's probably the best place there is for selling it to someone honest that will not cause you problems, I think it's a bit grumpy to complain when a simple rule is introduced for the general benefit of the community. It's a topic that's been mentioned for months and months, has been reviewed and general consensus taken into account.[/quote]

+1 to that!!

I think it'll improve things. It seems to me that the seller will have a price in mind to tell to the PMers, or it would be phrased "PM with offers"...in essence causing a silent auction.

As is mentioned, there are a gerzillion other places to sell, each with THEIR own rules which are updated over time, this is just an addendum to the BC Rules Of Engagement...all's fair in Love and Bass after all!

I think this is a nonsense 'Rule' and should be the sellers decision if he wants to post the price or accept offers, but I do have a solution which works really well on another forum I visit.

All negotiation are carried out open and visible on the thread and the communication only goes to PM when an agreement has been met and personal details are being exchanged. This way, anyone interested in buying the item can offer openly and the seller can then make all negotiations transparent.

See here for the full rules: [url="http://www.avforums.com/forums/view_trading_rules.htm"]http://www.avforums.com/forums/view_trading_rules.htm[/url] (They look heavy but in practice it's really simple!)

I do hate it when I post an item at a price and then get shot down by people who have either no interest in buying, ill informed on current values or are simply jealous. This then has an effect on potential purchasers who may have been willing to pay the amount advertised. I think these posters should have a 7 day ban until they learn to keep their hi-jacked messages out of the classified sections. If they feel really strong about it then they should start a new thread in the General section and away from the selling thread. Afterall, if they butted in like that when I'm negotiating a deal with someone in public then I'd probably knock them on their arse.

[quote name='angelboy' post='700303' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:10 AM']I do hate it when I post an item at a price and then get shot down by people who have either no interest in buying, ill informed on current values or are simply jealous. This then has an effect on potential purchasers who may have been willing to pay the amount advertised. I think these posters should have a 7 day ban until they learn to keep their hi-jacked messages out of the classified sections. If they feel really strong about it then they should start a new thread in the General section and away from the selling thread. Afterall, if they butted in like that when I'm negotiating a deal with someone in public then I'd probably knock them on their arse.[/quote]

This is an excellent point and postings to a sale thread that dispute the price or say things like " I think you are asking too much I bought one for £xxx " should lead to a warning for the poster.

Anyone is able to ask whatever they want for an item and it should have nothing to do with anyone else. People are happy to pay different prices because of many factors and an item is worth whatever price you can realise for it .

Basically if you are personally not interested in purchasing the item yourself then leave alone and don't post.

[quote name='angelboy' post='700303' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:10 AM']I think this is a nonsense 'Rule' and should be the sellers decision if he wants to post the price or accept offers, but I do have a solution which works really well on another forum I visit.

All negotiation are carried out open and visible on the thread and the communication only goes to PM when an agreement has been met and personal details are being exchanged. This way, anyone interested in buying the item can offer openly and the seller can then make all negotiations transparent.

See here for the full rules: [url="http://www.avforums.com/forums/view_trading_rules.htm"]http://www.avforums.com/forums/view_trading_rules.htm[/url] (They look heavy but in practice it's really simple!)[/quote]

IMO avforums (and in particular the classifieds section) is over moderated and I would hate to see Basschat end up like that.
I think stating the price is a move in the right direction - I'd like to see the prices kept in place after the sale is closed as well, rather than the price removed and replaced with SOLD.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='700332' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:48 AM']IMO avforums (and in particular the classifieds section) is over moderated and I would hate to see Basschat end up like that.
I think stating the price is a move in the right direction - I'd like to see the prices kept in place after the sale is closed as well, rather than the price removed and replaced with SOLD.[/quote]

It's it's a fair system then things like that aren't fair for me.

I have personally sold 3 basses for more than I bought for so why should I have to suffer because of the original sellers circumstances?

[quote name='angelboy' post='700424' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:29 PM']It's it's a fair system then things like that aren't fair for me.

I have personally sold 3 basses for more than I bought for so why should I have to suffer because of the original sellers circumstances?[/quote]
For a start, not everyone that sells here does so to make a profit (I for one am content to move stuff on for less than market price on here). Many people feel that there is something of a community going on here so there's nothing wrong with a bit of looking out for one another. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with making a profit (an item is after all only worth what someone is willing to pay for it) there's a guy advertising a bass on here today with a £200 mark up on the price he paid for it not so long ago. It may well go for that but wouldn't you like to be able to access that info if it were you interested in buying it?

I have removed the sale price from threads in the past but that was more out of politeness to the buyer. If it became a rule not to, I'd have no problem with it and I'd have no problem with people knowing what I paid for an item should I come to sell it on.

Basically it makes our lives as owners easier, means less problems and arguments and means that selling means selling for a price, like I would expect in a shop or basically anywhere remotely civilised!

If you REALLY don't like it then you don't have to use BC to sell things - places like eBay have a bidding system which you may well prefer - but they also have tons of rules and policies to cover their own butts when inevitable problems arise from this type of selling, which I have no desire to host here on BC, to be honest.

So it might be simple - perhaps too simple - but in all the years I have been running Basschat, I know it works and is the most straightfoward way to do things.

ped

[quote name='ped' post='700791' date='Jan 4 2010, 06:54 PM']That's why they don't exist any more, son. ;0)[/quote]

I'm sure Wateroftyne's comment had tongue firmly in cheek but Ped, with a retort like that within 7 minutes - are you a top class stand up in your spare time (after bass playing and photography)?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='700332' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:48 AM']IMO avforums (and in particular the classifieds section) is over moderated and I would hate to see Basschat end up like that.
I think stating the price is a move in the right direction - I'd like to see the prices kept in place after the sale is closed as well, rather than the price removed and replaced with SOLD.[/quote]
huge +1 to that. From a sellers point of view it can be very helpful to see what similar basses have sold for in the past, and help them put a price on the bass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Machines' post='698299' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:36 PM']In the nicest possible way - we are providing this forum for free and it's probably the best place there is for selling it to someone honest that will not cause you problems, I think it's a bit grumpy to complain when a simple rule is introduced for the general benefit of the community. It's a topic that's been mentioned for months and months, has been reviewed and general consensus taken into account.[/quote]
Absolutely agree.

I won't take part in a "PM offers" type sale. Price up front is the only way for me.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='704685' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:00 PM']I'm sure Wateroftyne's comment had tongue firmly in cheek but Ped, with a retort like that within 7 minutes - are you a top class stand up in your spare time (after bass playing and photography)?[/quote]

No I feel pressured to come up with a witty answer to this one, too. You're banned

[quote name='charic' post='718863' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:05 PM']Out of interest as it hasn't been covered:

Whats the policy on ballpark FS thread?

Example:
Looking for around the £1000 mark (or trade for a nice bass and cash adjustment)[/quote]

Think that's OK - as long as there is a rough area!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='700332' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:48 PM']IMO avforums (and in particular the classifieds section) is over moderated and I would hate to see Basschat end up like that.

[quote name='Kev' post='707007' date='Jan 9 2010, 09:18 PM']huge +1 to that. From a sellers point of view it can be very helpful to see what similar basses have sold for in the past, and help them put a price on the bass[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect, but I've been digging around for clarification on why people are replacing sold prices with 'SOLD' and sometimes even replacing the whole first post with 'SOLD' so you dont know what it was or how much it went for. As a buyer it's really annoying to see this. I can't see any real reason to remove the sold price but to remove the whole subject and first post, well, that's just awful. why would you do that? I dont think it fits with the community vibe at all.

I noticed posters arent calling out questionable techniques either (like selling something only recently bought but making up some see-thru story), nor posters that sell gear and dont update their threads (yet mention the sale in other threads, for example). I know it takes all sorts to make a world, but there's no excuse for some of this slack behaviour.

my 2p. please excuse any implied horridness, it isnt meant that way. peace out!

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='948427' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:03 PM']Sorry to resurrect, but I've been digging around for clarification on why people are replacing sold prices with 'SOLD' and sometimes even replacing the whole first post with 'SOLD' so you dont know what it was or how much it went for. As a buyer it's really annoying to see this. I can't see any real reason to remove the sold price [b]but to remove the whole subject and first post, well, that's just awful. why would you do that?[/b] I dont think it fits with the community vibe at all.

I noticed posters arent calling out questionable techniques either (like selling something only recently bought but making up some see-thru story), nor posters that sell gear and dont update their threads (yet mention the sale in other threads, for example). I know it takes all sorts to make a world, but there's no excuse for some of this slack behaviour.

my 2p. please excuse any implied horridness, it isnt meant that way. peace out![/quote]
Whenever I see that I always think "What are they trying to hide?" :)