Why become a member? ×

What Fender P's are good Fender P's?

dave_bass5

As im now going back to 4 strings for a while i really want a P-bass. I dont have a lot money but im set on getting a Fender.
Not interested in the £1000+ USA ones and dont want Active. Also not really sure i want a MIA if i can some something else for a bit more that will be better.
By better i mean one that has a nice neck, looks good (subjective i know but i dont want Sunburst) and sounds like a P-bass should.
So i figure my options are HW1 (good choice and i wolud be happy with that) or Jap. Its the Jap ones im not sure about. I know very little about them.
I would buy second hand if i could try first but that could be a problem so im not really looking too hard.

Im off to the Bass Centre tomorrow for a look (yeah, i know) so is there any models you guys think are worth trying?

I bought my precision secondhand from ebay so I bought it blind. I worked on the assumption that they are made out of good quality bits and if there's anything wrong with it, it should be fairly straight forward to sort out. I was very pleased to discover that it needed nothing more than a new set of strings and a set up.

I don't know if they're all like this, but mine is post 2000 and whatever, when the models changed and they put the graphite rods in the neck and the s1 switch (which is pointless) on. The fingerboard edges are rolled and it makes the neck feel a bit narrower if that makes sense. Nice to play anyway

Mine was mint and in the original case for £500, you can probably get one even cheaper than that at the moment.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76425' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:48 AM']As im now going back to 4 strings for a while i really want a P-bass. I dont have a lot money but im set on getting a Fender.
Not interested in the £1000+ USA ones and dont want Active. Also not really sure i want a MIA if i can some something else for a bit more that will be better.
By better i mean one that has a nice neck, looks good (subjective i know but i dont want Sunburst) and sounds like a P-bass should.
So i figure my options are HW1 (good choice and i wolud be happy with that) or Jap. Its the Jap ones im not sure about. I know very little about them.
I would buy second hand if i could try first but that could be a problem so im not really looking too hard.

Im off to the Bass Centre tomorrow for a look (yeah, i know) so is there any models you guys think are worth trying?[/quote]

JAP JAP JAP JAP JAP
I have played Japanese Precisions that blow USA Custom Shop Precisions out of the water. My current Jap - a lovely pink colour - is equal to my '73 Precision in everything but monetary value and mojo. You can get them for £250-300 on here or on ebay regularly
Chris

Cheers John.
Can you tell me if its a MIJ or MIA or MIM.
I really don't know much about the different models other than the HW1 (and i have no hesitation in getting one other than the finish falls off quickly).
I guess thats why im asking. The BC wont have much in anyway so i guess i might have to buy blind even if its new.
There seems to be so many different types of P and i have no experience with any of them.

[quote name='Beedster' post='76434' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:55 AM']JAP JAP JAP JAP JAP
I have played Japanese Precisions that blow USA Custom Shop Precisions out of the water. My current Jap - a lovely pink colour - is equal to my '73 Precision in everything but monetary value and mojo. You can get them for £250-300 on here or on ebay regularly
Chris[/quote]

Ive heard good things about the Jap models but there does seem to be a few different ones. anything that stands out?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76442' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:59 AM']Ive heard good things about the Jap models but there does seem to be a few different ones. anything that stands out?[/quote]

IMO they're all much of a muchness. I've played/owned several from the '90's and all of them were cracking basses
Chris

I quite like the look of the 60th Anniversary P-Bass in Silver the BC has for £449.
Anyone know if that's Jap or MIM?
The reason im against the MIM's is when i was shopping for my Jazz i tried a few and the HW1 blew them all away. Im not going for the HW1 because its put together in USA, it just felt so much better. The only other Jazz i liked was a MIA for about £1200 at the time.

That one for £449 will probably be a MiM Dave.
The one I wrote about up there is an MIA, I've had an early 80s MIJ which was good, but it wasn't as good as my MIA - the pickups weren't as good and the neck wasn't as nice as the much newer MIA one - but it was still good and they're worth buying if you don't want to spend £££s.
I've got a JV squier as well which is really nice - apparently made of USA parts in 83 but assembled in Japan - it's really nice and is every bit as good as my MIA.

Didn't think much of my MiM Jazz though, although the MiM tele and MiM strats I've played have all been very good.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76445' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:05 PM']Im not going for the HW1 because its put together in USA, it just felt so much better. The only other Jazz i liked was a MIA for about £1200 at the time.[/quote]
I don't understand why anyone would pay this much for a Fender when you can buy a Lakland, which has a far better build quality, better playability and is a more flexible and better sounding bass, for less money.

Cheers guys. yes it looks like the Silver one is a MIM. Still, i might play one if they have one (yeah, again, i know).

John. I used to have a 1983 JV P-bass as well. In fact i had it from new and thought it wasn't worth selling so kept hold of it until a couple of years ago when i went back to playing bass and took it down to the BC for a set up. It was then they told me it was worth "something". I ended up getting £300 PX form them towards my Jazz. I know i could have gotten more but it was a quick decision and i was having problems with the electrics in it. Also i had changed all the hardware to Gold and replaced the pup so its wasn't totally a JV. They said it was the neck that made it worth more.

[quote name='thumbo' post='76455' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:18 PM']I'm 99% sure that's a MIM model Dave.

Check out this site- [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=3[/url][/quote]

thanks for the link. Ill have a look.
To be honest all these figures don't mean much to me. Maybe ill get a feel for some tomorrow and have a better idea what im looking for.

[quote name='chris_b' post='76466' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:33 PM']I don't understand why anyone would pay this much for a Fender when you can buy a Lakland, which has a far better build quality, better playability and is a more flexible and better sounding bass, for less money.[/quote]

Agreed. I tried a 5 string MIA Jazz out at the same time i got my 55-01 (i know your talking about other Laklands) and felt the 55-01 was so much better and cheaper.

[quote name='simon1964' post='76472' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:39 PM']+1 on the Jap Precisions. I've got a Jap 70s reissue P and I love it. Amazing bass for the money, and in terms of quality is just as good as my US Jazz.[/quote]

I just looked on the site posted by thumbo and they have a lovely white 70's re issue with USA vintage pup for £599.
Thats very tempting and just in the budget once i sell the 55-01.
Am i to assume then that the Jap basses aren't easy to come by in shops? I didn't know that. Guess thats why i haven tseen any ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76477' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:46 PM']I just looked on the site posted by thumbo and they have a lovely white 70's re issue with USA vintage pup for £599.
Thats very tempting and just in the budget once i sell the 55-01.
Am i to assume then that the Jap basses aren't easy to come by in shops? I didn't know that. Guess thats why i haven tseen any ;-)[/quote]

I'm definitely up for getting a Jap P and a Jap J bass in the New Year. Best bet is to import them from Ishibashi. Even with shipping, taxes etc it will work out cheaper than from GuitarEmporium.....

[quote name='cetera' post='76487' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:07 PM']I'm definitely up for getting a Jap P and a Jap J bass in the New Year. Best bet is to import them from Ishibashi. Even with shipping, taxes etc it will work out cheaper than from GuitarEmporium.....[/quote]

cheers. ill see if i can understand that website.

I think the bass in your pic is very similar to the one i mentioned above. very tasty IMO.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76494' date='Oct 19 2007, 01:22 PM']cheers. ill see if i can understand that website.

I think the bass in your pic is very similar to the one i mentioned above. very tasty IMO.[/quote]

Indeed, except that the one in my avatar pic (of Peter Cetera) is a white 70's JAZZ bass :huh: :)

[quote name='Platypus' post='76561' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:25 PM']The last time i was in the bass Centre that have several Bob Glaug Laklands on the wall. definitely worth trying one if only for comparison.....

P[/quote]

Funny enough i was just looking for one of those.
I think price wise it might be slightly out of my budget though.

I just bought a MIA P after 20 years without one. It's a 2004 S1 (S1 agreed as pointless). It's very bit as good as the '82 57 JV re-issue I use to own. It sounds as good and plays better, lighter, arguably the attention to detail isn't quite as good but that'd be nit picking. Compared to MIM's I've tried there is no comparison.

Some good deals to be had used.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76566' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:29 PM']Funny enough i was just looking for one of those.
I think price wise it might be slightly out of my budget though.[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lakland-Skyline-Bob-Glaub-Bass-Guitar-w-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ110182489004QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lakland-Skyline-Bob-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

This has to the bargain of the month.

"Strike while the iron is hot"