Why become a member? ×

What Fender P's are good Fender P's?

dave_bass5

I've never actually owned an American fender as i have never felt them to be worth the extra dough.

I have had one Mexican Precision; a Geddy Jazz (CIJ); SQ Squier Precision (MIJ); JV Squier Precision (MIJ); 2 '51 reissue Precisons (CIJ)

the first time I bought one of the '51s I thought that it had such an amazing sound but at the time I couldn't live without a low B as I had been playing 5ers for the best part of 10 years. Many basses later I bought another one after making the transition back to 4 strings and I absolutely love it.

I've never been able to get a good sound from the split P pickup but the straight single coil is 'my sound'. It is the absolute best bass I have ever played.

I've had some corkers of basses over the years - around 10-12 Stingrays including 3 5ers a 20th and a 30th anniversary 4 string; 3 Ricks; Warwick thumb NT5; Yamaha TRB 6 fretless; Thunderbird; Modulus Flea.

this is the kind of comparison that I am making - to me this bass is much much better than any of these. Some basses have got close but never delivered as much as my current one.

Its dead simple to get a great sound from it. the 2 saddle bridge is limiting to get the intonation right but I love it.

Can you tell that i like this bass?

Edited by Delberthot

You asked about Fenders, so heres my 2 cents :)

Go out and try some MIA P's i say, they're not worth £1000 but you can pick them up for £500 second hand easy, just avoid the S1 switching at all costs!! Its wicked on Jazz's but utterly pointless on the P's! I picked up my USA Jazz standard for a crazy price (just under £300) and i love it love it love it :huh:
Very good advice above, sometimes a good setup is all a bass needs

The Japanese models also really get bigged up, but i would say go for an Ash or Alder bodied ones, rather then the cheaper Basswood bodied ones!

If you have no luck with these then definitley look further afield like Lakland, but like i said, you asked about Fender! :huh:

Good luck

Si

Edited by Sibob

Si
I wouldnt get a Basswood body so i am looing at the Alder ones.
If i could get a Lakland BG online for under £800 and in black and in stok i would be very tempted.
But i still cant see how spending £800 on a bass will benifit me any more than spending £400 for a MIJ.
They are both good bass's and make the same sound (more or less).
Thats why im rulling out the MIA's, at least new.
Trying out bass's is my problem. I work all week, gig at the weekends and dont drive so getting around the country is difficult.
I do look in the for sale section and ebay but so far notihng has really caught my eye.

but again thanks all for the suggestions.

[quote name='Sibob' post='80484' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:26 PM']The other option, if you find it hard to get out and try stuff, is just order all the parts from Allparts or similar, all to your spec and sit at home and put it together yourself!

Easy :)

Si[/quote]

The problem is i dont know what "My spec" would be. I have no idea about different neck sizes and how they feel, what the different woods would add to the sound etc.
99% sure now ill order a 50's classic MIM in HB from Thomann tomorow now unless Ishibashi get back to me ot say one of the bass's i asked about are in stock.

My experience of Ishibashi is that their turnover of stock is quite fast. I've enquired about a number of basses, and although they're pretty quick at replying (all things considered) most have been sold by the time they have.

The Allparts P & J necks are Fender licensed goods, so although the headstocks are blank, they are the same dimensions as basic MIA/MIJ/MIM Fenders.
They also do a number of different colour options on bodies, and u could choose black/silver/gold hardware, size and shape of tuners etc etc

My advice if you're buying MIM is to try it first, although there are some great MIM's out there, you're less likely to get a good one ordering blind then if you go MIJ or MIA imo.

Good luck

Si

Edited by Sibob

Si
Thanks. I find Ishibashi take about a day to reply and each time they dont say whats in stock, so then i have to email them again. Its getting quite boring dealing this way and while i would love one of the MIJ's i think i need to shop elswhere for something else.
The only MIM im considering is the Classic 50's,

Yeah, I've never heard a bad word said about them, don't know about phoning though, i've only ever heard people talk about e-mail correspondence.

Depends whether you wanna foot a phone bill to Japan :)

If you see a good one on Ishibashi, and you've done the maths with regards to shipping and import/ VAT costs etc, then just email them saying you want to buy it!
Its going to be the same as just ordering blind from Thomann, but you'll have MIJ instead of MIM, probably similar price to! I know which I'd rather have!

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='80505' date='Oct 28 2007, 07:18 PM']Yeah, I've never heard a bad word said about them, don't know about phoning though, i've only ever heard people talk about e-mail correspondence.

Depends whether you wanna foot a phone bill to Japan :)

If you see a good one on Ishibashi, and you've done the maths with regards to shipping and import/ VAT costs etc, then just email them saying you want to buy it!
Its going to be the same as just ordering blind from Thomann, but you'll have MIJ instead of MIM, probably similar price to! I know which I'd rather have!

Si[/quote]

Si
The 70s P worked out at £335 and with customs etc works out cheaper than Thomann's for the MIM. But, Ishibashi dont have them in stock and dont seem to grasp that im asking when they will be. I was given a very vague Nov delivery. To me thats not as good as getting something thats in stock.
If only they would say if its in stock when they email me the cost. The last email i sent them was friday morning, still waiting for a reply.
I guess if your not in a rush to get it then yes, it is the cheapest option but if i order something i want it soon.

I kinda see what your saying, but:
If you want a MIM you wait as long as it takes
If you want a MIJ ..... the same!

They're two different products because one will almost certainly be better quality then the other. Like i said, if you want something from Ishibashi, tell them you want to buy it! It might prompt them to make you aware of Stock quantities quicker.

It looks like you have other basses to gig and practice with, so make sure you're not ordering a potentially inferior product simply because it will be delivered faster!

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='80576' date='Oct 28 2007, 11:00 PM']I kinda see what your saying, but:
If you want a MIM you wait as long as it takes
If you want a MIJ ..... the same!

They're two different products because one will almost certainly be better quality then the other. Like i said, if you want something from Ishibashi, tell them you want to buy it! It might prompt them to make you aware of Stock quantities quicker.

It looks like you have other basses to gig and practice with, so make sure you're not ordering a potentially inferior product simply because it will be delivered faster!

Si[/quote]

Thanks, i take your points.
I have told Ishibashi im ready to order something if its in stock but like i said, ive not heard anything back yet.
Im quite happy with getting a 50's Classic, I could have it here by Thursday. Im very worried about ordering something with no set delivery date. even if they gave me a date it would help. Thier terms state that once the payment has been made it cant be canceld or ammened so my cash would then be tied up with them. Im sort of in a hurry to get the bass as i am using my Jazz but dont like it and i only really have the lakland and thats the one i have just stopped playing as i dont really want 5 strings so with up to 3 gigs a week coming up i would like to get settled with the P sooner rather than later.
like i say, im happy with the above choices of P's but i guess my prefered one would be the PB70.

Just a quick update.
I had an email back from Ishibashi and the PB62-78US is in stock. but after looking at it and realising its VWH which im not too keen on i have decided to get the 50's classic in HB. I quite fancy a Maple neck/fretboard as my fist JV P-bass had that and i loved it.
Just something about that bass that i really like. Still not played one so dont know how well ill get no with the neck but im sure it will be fine and by all accounts it will sound like a P-bass should.
Ordered from Thomann today so should get it by the weekend if im lucky.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've just bought a PB from Ishibashi - took about a week to arrive factoring in paying for customs.

Very happy - although the bass wasn't packaged as well as basses I've bought from the US before...

Surprisingly its actually setup quite well. I'll post some pictures when I get chance - PB62-105 DMC. Nitro three tone sunburst with Di Marzio pickup :)

Ishibashi's non-export JAP (CIJ) Fenders get my vote! You can see mine on this thread.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139&st=60"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139&st=60[/url]

I also own a JAP '89 Fender Power Jazz Bass Special.. considering its age and obvious heavy use, it is remarkably playable still - nothing has fallen off / worn out or broken. Thats a good sign!

[quote name='dood' post='82193' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:15 PM']Ishibashi's non-export JAP (CIJ) Fenders get my vote! You can see mine on this thread.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139&st=60"][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139&st=60"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139&st=60[/url][/url][/quote]

I like the look of that with the mirror scratch plate on.
I still have my one form the 80's but dont think ill use it yet (untill the 80's come back round again ;-)

just an update.
I ended up getting a MIM 50's classic from thomann's. Its HB and looks nice but i wasn't 100% with the neck width so its gone (or going) back and ive ordered a HW-one in flat black. Partly because of the different neck but i really like the flat black look. It will be here on Thursday.
Now i just need to sort out a good scratch plate for it.
i dont know much about these new HW-ones other than the updates. I read that people prefer the first gen ones (like my Jazz) but im really looking for a workhorse bass that will get the P sound across and im sure this will do the trick. Plus the neck feels a bit easier to play. funny thing, going from a Jazz to my 55-01 was no problem, going back after a year and a half was no problem but playing the P bass was very hard up the body end of the neck. guess its string spacing and not neck width though. The 50's P does sound very nice though.
my girlfriend said the MIM looked like an old mans bass LOL. No, of course i dont take any notice of her but it did push me towards my first choice of black.

[quote name='Sibob' post='84384' date='Nov 6 2007, 02:43 PM']See, by the time you get the new one from Thomann, you coulda been gigging the one from Ishibashi :)

Hope the new ones more successful!

Si[/quote]

Actually Ishibashi are still out of stock of the one i wanted. I emailed them yesterday.
And this way im free to try a few as Thomann make it very easy to return things.
funny thing though that ive looked at the two CIJ/MIJ's in Denmark st and dont really like the gloss finish.
Glad im now going for the HW-one. Not a great bass and dearer but i have a feeling ill be more comfortable with it.
plus i wont be worrying about it getting scratched etc.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='84390' date='Nov 6 2007, 01:54 PM']Glad im now going for the HW-one. Not a great bass[/quote]
I wouldn´t bet on that. Mine keeps getting better and better and plays and sounds sweeter than all the American Standards I´ve tried (partly because it is set up and strung the way I like it, but still...).

So don´t be disappointed if you happen to get a great bass. :)