Why become a member? ×

Expert help in 50's fenders needed

OldGit

Hi
I've "been made aware of" a "1957" p bass for sale but this is beyond my knowledge of P basses.
Naturally I'm wary of being stitched up so I'd really like a second opinion from the pictures he's sent.

Does anyone know enough about these to help?
All I have are the pictures so far ...
Thanks

I have a copy of 'The History of The Fender Bass' book which might be useful - I could scan in pages or post the book to you if it has anything in it. I will be away from today until Tuesday so will check back with you then! Sounds like a good find, assuming it's a good'un!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='76881' date='Oct 20 2007, 10:08 AM']I have a copy of 'The History of The Fender Bass' book which might be useful - I could scan in pages or post the book to you if it has anything in it. I will be away from today until Tuesday so will check back with you then! Sounds like a good find, assuming it's a good'un!

ped[/quote]

PM sent

Si

The pics certainly do suggest a genuine 57 P Bass.

The serial number is 1957
The slightly raised pole pieces under the A string are year consistent.
The button on the back of the stock (missing) is consistent.
The slot screws instead of Philips on the machinehead plates is correct for 1957.

If the bass is the sellers, it’s a 57 P alright.

How much??

Neil

Well there's a strong smell of marine life about this but.. I guess these things happen sometimes ...

With the help of several people from this forum and a couple of luthiers I know it looks like the images the guy has sent me are very likely to be of a genuine late 50's P bass ... or a very good replica made by someone who has read the same websites, articles and books as we have :)

However, there are a few weird things about the story etc so I've asked the normal scam buster questions - like can he take more images of specific things, can I see it before discussing things further etc..

We will see ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='77167' date='Oct 20 2007, 11:52 PM']Well there's a strong smell of marine life about this but.. I guess these things happen sometimes ...

With the help of several people from this forum and a couple of luthiers I know it looks like the images the guy has sent me are very likely to be of a genuine late 50's P bass ... or a very good replica made by someone who has read the same websites, articles and books as we have :)

However, there are a few weird things about the story etc so I've asked the normal scam buster questions - like can he take more images of specific things, can I see it before discussing things further etc..

We will see ..[/quote]

If it's the 57 I think it is, I doubt it's in his possession. I asked for some specific photos and some history and received neither
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='77255' date='Oct 21 2007, 12:14 PM']If it's the 57 I think it is, I doubt it's in his possession. I asked for some specific photos and some history and received neither
Chris[/quote]

Ah Chris "scam baiter general" on the case! :)
Yeah it took a few goes for me to get a reply ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='77256' date='Oct 21 2007, 12:16 PM']Ah Chris "scam baiter general" on the case! :huh:
Yeah it took a few goes for me to get a reply ....[/quote]

....but I didn't get a reply at all. Did he reply when you asked for specific pics to prove the bass is actually in his possesion?
I really hope that it is genuine and that you get the deal of a lifetime 'cos the rest of us were all too cynical to pursue it. However, you have to admit that everything about it APPEARS scammy, bordeline certainly, but let's face it, all the best scams appear either genuine to the naive and bordeline to the expert.
Don't pay any money unless it's cash with the owner and the bass present, get a receipt in case it's hot, and take a witness/bodyguard with you :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='78199' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:23 PM']....but I didn't get a reply at all. Did he reply when you asked for specific pics to prove the bass is actually in his possesion?
I really hope that it is genuine and that you get the deal of a lifetime 'cos the rest of us were all too cynical to pursue it. However, you have to admit that everything about it APPEARS scammy, bordeline certainly, but let's face it, all the best scams appear either genuine to the naive and bordeline to the expert.
Don't pay any money unless it's cash with the owner and the bass present, get a receipt in case it's hot, and take a witness/bodyguard with you :)
Chris[/quote]

All good advice,
Oddly enough the email replies, each asking for my best bid, have stopped coming since I asked for a meeting and some more pictures ..
Says it all really.

I have used up all my "bargain of a life time" points already so I'm not surprised ..

OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='81168' date='Oct 30 2007, 10:36 AM']I reported the listing to ebay as a probable scam ..

Meanwhile the guy has sent me an email
"The engine is still available if you are interested" Engine?

He's obviously scamming all over the place ...[/quote]

Fantastic - so funny!! :) :huh:

haha I'm still grinning

He replied "sorry I got mixed up with the engine I was selling. So if you are still interested in the guitar, what would your best offer be, including postage. the deal would be trough ebay"

Sure I'm still interested :)
So I said "yes, i'm still interested, I just need to see it in person before I can consider my bid. I'm happy to do the deal via ebay"

So, why not just let it go? Well, this is why ...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=1615&view=findpost&p=16641"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=16641[/url]
and there is just a ghost of a chance that he really is selling a 57 p bass ...

So i said I've got to see it and he said

"I have the bass at the shipping service already because I thought I had a buyer but something came up and he couldn't afford the bass anymore ....All we have to do is agree at a price and you must give me your full name and address and I will contact eBay to stup a protected transaction......"

yeah, sure and next thing you know he'll be selling a nice Shuker P5 on eBay ..

I've suggested he gets it back from the shipper and I go round and we do the ebay deal on his computer there and then ..
:)

I've got to stop soon It's getting anoying

[quote name='OldGit' post='82371' date='Nov 1 2007, 04:42 PM']So, why not just let it go? Well, this is why ...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=1615&view=findpost&p=16641"][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=16641"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=16641[/url][/url]
and there is just a ghost of a chance that he really is selling a 57 p bass ...[/quote]

Sorry - I think that was such a stupendous, once only, never-to-be-repeated "bargain of a life time" - that it used up not only all my 'points' - but everyone else's as well!
And saying that - it has taken a HUGE amount of time, effort & expense to get it restored back to how it should be - & it's still not finished!

[quote name='99ster' post='82806' date='Nov 2 2007, 03:38 PM']Sorry - I think that was such a stupendous, once only, never-to-be-repeated "bargain of a life time" - that it used up not only all my 'points' - but everyone else's as well!
And saying that - it has taken a HUGE amount of time, effort & expense to get it restored back to how it should be - & it's still not finished![/quote]

Yeah I know and I know the 57 is a scam .. I'm now 99.999999999% sure :huh:

Oh and I also used up my "bargain instruments" points years ago ..
(real 62 Precision for £110, real 69 King Super 20 Silversonic tenor for £400, Eden WT400 £120))

So I guess I'm just winding the guy up a bit .....