Why become a member? ×

Depping for a WHO tribute band next week... 1 rehearsal!

warwickhunt

As of this week I find myself bandless (last week I was in 3, one of them for 14 years) but as luck would have it I've been asked if I want to audition for a Who tribute band next week and potentially gig the week after.

I'm not worried about the audition scenario but I do find myself in a position where I'm going to need to cheat!

I'll not have access to my bass between Sunday and Tuesday and my audition is Wednesday... AND (don't shoot me for this) I've never in my life tried to play a Who song, so obviously I have no Who material in the house.

I'll obviously try and buy a best of CD today/tomorrow (I don't do shareware/downloads) and give that some intense listening but I'm going to have to resort to downloading the chords as a form of cheatsheet. Can anyone recommend a good site for the chords (ie written above/below the lyrics) not tab. I've spent an hour trawling a variety of sh*te sites trying to find one website that has a good selection of their material in one place and I'm done in. I've accessed most of the popular stuff from youtube but knowing the basic chord structures will give me a good headstart.

I'm expecting at least one major butt-kicking (neilb :) ) for not knowing any Who stuff but can anyone help?

Cheers

Edited by warwickhunt

Accept a butt kick for not knowing any Who songs. How about I do the audition, impress the arses off them and you do the gig?

I know a site with all the who songs on, most are accurate!! Its split into sections for Guitar and Bass. Handy!!

[url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/azindex.htm"]Who Songs[/url]

PS PM received!!

Best of luck Warwick mate, Im only a bit jealous. I will teach you The Real Me if ya fancy a trip to Essex!!

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='77002' date='Oct 20 2007, 03:22 PM']Accept a butt kick for not knowing any Who songs. How about I do the audition, impress the arses off them and you do the gig?

I know a site with all the who songs on, most are accurate!! Its split into sections for Guitar and Bass. Handy!!
[url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/azindex.htm"]Who Songs[/url]
PS PM received!!

Best of luck Warwick mate, Im only a bit jealous. I will teach you The Real Me if ya fancy a trip to Essex!![/quote]

And before you ask I won't be buying a 'W' Buzzard (or any other for that matter) neither will the stuff be played an a Fender!

I know what you mean about the websites, just had a look on a sheet music website and why is it that they have all the poppy crap like three days grace for bass (Not exactly difficult to work out anyway) but no the who?

as far as i can see there are a few options
1. try looking on the publishers of sheet music websites eg hal leonard, they do a LOT of stuff

2. go to your local guitar shop and see if they have any who bass sheet music in stock

3. if those 2 don't work i'm afraid you might just have to use tabs, they're really not as bad as all you old people seem to think they are, infact they're a lot easier to work from then sheet music to be honest!

here is a website you might find useful:

[url="http://www.halleonard.com/links_store.jsp"]http://www.halleonard.com/links_store.jsp[/url]

there is a list of sites where you can buy sheet music. You might also want to try out GuitarPro, a bit of software which you can download music for and not only see the entire song on your computer (all the instruments) but also play along with it!

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='77693' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:58 AM']3. if those 2 don't work i'm afraid you might just have to use tabs, they're really not as bad as all you old people seem to think they are, infact they're a lot easier to work from then sheet music to be honest![/quote]

Ok. All the old people stand up, if you are capable that is :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='77832' date='Oct 22 2007, 07:04 PM']Ok. All the old people stand up, if you are capable that is :huh:[/quote]

Cheeky!

Try Chordie
[url="http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Who/index.html"]http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Who/index.html[/url] (hundreds of Who songs, some tabs, some chords, push button Key sig shifting etc)

However just playing along to the chords isn't going to cut it in a tribute band. It's all about karaoke versions, of course. The anoraks will judge you one your ability to play exactly like one of well known versions of everything .. You'll need to be pretty much note perfect (either the record or live version) as per how John played it.

I'd say if that sort of thing isn't your bag then don't do it...

Whether you'll get away with playing on your modern Warwicks will depend on whether they have a "hey look we are really the Who circa 1976" approach
[url="http://www.thewhotribute.com/float.htm"]http://www.thewhotribute.com/float.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.thewholigans.com/"]http://www.thewholigans.com/[/url]
white growbag for "Pete", funny looks from "Moon", Ric guitar, dodgy Roger'd hair

or a "well we know we don't look like them but we sortof sound like them" approach
er well I tried but I couldn't find one of those :)

Let us knwo how it goes ..

Cheers guys I'm going to try any/all of these suggestions tonight/tomorrow.

TBH if they want the whole look-a-like/note perfect with appropriate instrument I'll be out like a proverbial scalded cat! I like the Who and the Who material but first and foremost I want to enjoy it, worrying about minutia of detail will not appeal to me.

Give you all an update as soon as.

You LUCKY LUCKY man! I'd absolutely love to play a gig with a Who tribute band. You'll have a great time of it, their music is so energetic when played live. I suggest you take a look at some of their live videos on Youtube etc, from the Isle Of Wight Festival, Woodstock etc etc, that'll give you an idea of the pure power of the music you'll be playing.

Best of luck mate - enjoy every minute of it!

JEALOUS :)

Danny

PS - watch the drummer VERY closely!

Well jobs mine if I want it!

Always helps if you can fix the PA when you get there (Behringer desks... pants). They were particularly impressed with the Ox sound that I had (courtesy of 'W' & TF with a liberal application of finger attack) added to which I rattled through the 9 songs that I knew, did 3 that I didn't know, then did some harmonies whilst playing. Damn I was having fun :)

Luckily they are sound-a-like but NOT look-a-like (couldn't get away with that fringe cut I'm afraid)

Which leads me on... The jobs mine if I want it BUT their present bassist didn't even know about the auditions. It appears he's getting tetchy with the band as they want to step back from 8 gigs a month to an average of 3, problem is that he's just shelled out £6k for bass gear on the never-never. Ah! I don't want to dump on a fellow bassist so I need to look into the background to this situation.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll update if anything happens.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='79229' date='Oct 25 2007, 08:28 AM']Well jobs mine if I want it!

Always helps if you can fix the PA when you get there (Behringer desks... pants). They were particularly impressed with the Ox sound that I had (courtesy of 'W' & TF with a liberal application of finger attack) added to which I rattled through the 9 songs that I knew, did 3 that I didn't know, then did some harmonies whilst playing. Damn I was having fun :)

Luckily they are sound-a-like but NOT look-a-like (couldn't get away with that fringe cut I'm afraid)

Which leads me on... The jobs mine if I want it BUT their present bassist didn't even know about the auditions. It appears he's getting tetchy with the band as they want to step back from 8 gigs a month to an average of 3, problem is that he's just shelled out £6k for bass gear on the never-never. Ah! I don't want to dump on a fellow bassist so I need to look into the background to this situation.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll update if anything happens.[/quote]

Could be a difficult situation, especially if the existing bassist is a BCer!!

Handbags at dawn!

[quote name='neilb' post='79261' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:10 AM']Could be a difficult situation, especially if the existing bassist is a BCer!!

Handbags at dawn![/quote]

I don't think he is a fellow BCer but either way I need to have more details. The band reckon that they are just countering the fact that they've heard on the grapevine that the bassist is joining another band in the near future but I'd hate to think that I was being used to 'out' the current bassist. I'd not like to be replaced in an underhand way but it's fair enough if the bassist is lining something else up without giving the band due notice.

The one thing that I didn't establish was money! The have a decent rig, a permanent soundman/roadie (even at rehearsals) and use an LCD projector to display video footage/images during the show (not sure if that doesn't detract from the band, however it's their choice at present)... none of that comes cheap and they are playing venues that I know pay a max of £200. 4 band members + Roadie + big gear + van = smaller cut per member. Don't get me wrong the money isn't the be all and end all but I have expensive GAS :) added to which strings, petrol, drinks etc all need to be covered.