Why become a member? ×

Longbow Bass

colda

Keep going back to this site and wanting

[url="http://www.longbowbass.com/"]http://www.longbowbass.com/[/url]

but I can't imagine being on stage with a piece of wood

so doubt that i'd use it

still, it's hard work trying to tell myself just to forget about having one!

in a slightly more helpfull response, i'd say:

it's a plane bit of wood, not even carved (cant imagine thats comfortable on the fretting hand, no frets, simple electronics. all of this means that you wouldn't need a great deal of skill to build something of the same standard yourself, for an awfull lot cheaper.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='77308' date='Oct 21 2007, 02:26 PM']it's a plain bit of wood, not even carved (cant imagine thats comfortable on the fretting hand, no frets, simple electronics. all of this means that you wouldn't need a great deal of skill to build something of the same standard yourself, for an awfull lot cheaper.[/quote]

exactly what i though...

i mean...i've got the tools out anyway

Edited by ahpook

Guest Jecklin

Ha HA I think they are pretty cool ( :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :) )

However I do agree that if you want that sort of thing you are far better off making your own, as I shall, but with the same string length as my double bass.

Using one with a doublebass left hand grip (in a vertical position) would neagte the supposed negative effects of the square cross section neck.

Don't get one. As others have said, the square neck will be uncomfortable and the reduced number of strings could be limiting (although I'm a big fan of 1 and 2 string basses). However if you're intersted in the concept, check my weird and wonderful thread later this week for something similar...

I had a long email conversation with John at Longbow about a year ago and came close but decided that I couldn't justify it. I still keep an eye on the web site but it has been 'closed to new orders' for a long time now so I'm guessing that they are no longer in business.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='77383' date='Oct 21 2007, 04:07 PM']HeHe... You need a big square left hand to play that!

"Deficient in the string department to the tune of two..."[/quote]

3 for me since it's not a fender. :)

Thing is you don't exactly need to be john shuker (or similar) to build one. It's just a bit of wood with a couple of bits on it. Probably could do it yourself for £150-200