Why become a member? ×

Look what I just picked up...

eude

Well, after a bit of a wait, I drove down to Moffat through the snow and collected my first ACG bass today.

Here's the specs >>
5 string Bolt-on Finn Single Cut
Swamp Ash Body with Grain Enhancement and "Dirty Ash" Satin Finish
33" Scale with bridge kept as far back as possible to kept 1st position very comfortable
3 piece Wenge Neck, Satin Finish - looks like chocolate
Fretted Bloodwood Fingerboard, No Radius - you gotta try it, you won't go back to radiused fingerboards...
Wenge Headstock Cap front and rear
Single Very Overwound RFB Pickup just back from the mid point between the 24th fret and the bridge, just ahead of MM position
EQ02 9V with passive tone control, coil tap switch and low battery indicator
Black Hardware
18 mm String Spacing
Through Body Stringing on the B string
Asymmetrical Neck Profile

This bass has been in the pipeline for a wee while, you can't rush perfection, so Alan just built this in his own time.
I wanted to keep quiet about it though, my own little secret :)

The bass is perfect, just as I requested.
I love the single cut Finn shape, so had to go for that.
I really like the snap and aggression of Bolt-On basses too, I know Bolt-On Single Cuts are a bit marmite, but upper fret access is great regardless.
It's compact and really really light, thanks to the swamp ash body and the hipshot kit, so it balances perfectly sitting or standing.
The asymmetrical neck is ridiculously comfy, as is the flat fingerboard, seriously, you all need to try this out, you won't go back to a radiused board, this thing nearly plays itself.
The sound of this bass is something else.
I wanted something with real guts, hence the overwound pickup, but I really didn't expect this!
In Series mode this thing is enormous, loads of low end and low mids, seriously loud.
Switch it into Parallel mode and the mids sweeten up a bit, and into Single Coil and there's a really delicate articulate tone hidden in there.
Team that up with the ACG Pre + a Tone Control and you've got a very very versatile instrument, and that's with only one pickup!

As with all the reports of ACG basses, the custom built experience was great.
Communication with Alan is second to none, and being involved form start to finish was brilliant, being only and hour's drive from ACG HQ, on a snow free day, certainly has it's advantages.

All in, I couldn't be happier.

Here's some pics from the whole process from wood to super sexy bass...

Wood >>

Wood and Finn SC Body Template >>

Body and Neck (from the rear) >>

Unfinished Ash Body >>

Dirty Ash Finish (mid-application, kinda looks Barbecued...) >>

The finished article >>

(Thanks to Alan for the finished pics too, I'll try and get some more done when daylight returns to Scotland, probably in a few months...)

I'll do a proper review in a few weeks hopefully with some sound bytes too.
Right, I'm off to annoy the neighbours for a while...

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='701017' date='Jan 4 2010, 09:44 PM']Congratulations Eude! Definitely a keeper this one... :)[/quote]

Definitely a keeper! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rayman' post='701034' date='Jan 4 2010, 09:59 PM']Beautiful. Were you ever tempted by the hollowbody ACG Alan brought to the Moffat bash? It seemed to have found a home in your arms.[/quote]

I loved that bass mate, but I'd already put my cash bass cash down for this sexy little number, plus as fun as it was, I don't really have any need for a fretless at the moment.
If I had the spare cash though, it'd be mine already!...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='701092' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:51 PM']Another stunning selection of gorgeous woods and top class craftsmanship. Very very nice indeed.
Be really interested to try out a no-radius fretboard - my mind tells me it can't be as comfortable over a 5-string's width[/quote]

It's actually more comfortable than you would think on a wider fingerboard, as the furthest your fretting hand will have to stretch vertically is to your lowest string.
On a flat board, your lowest string is actually closer than it would be on a radisued board.
Radiused fingerboards actually came about to make playing bar chords easier and everyone is just used to the feel now.
Of course it's all down to personal taste, but I reckon everyone should have a go before passing judgment, as I wasn't convinced at first till I actually got my hands on one, but that single experience is why I ordered it on the Finn :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Stingray5' post='701212' date='Jan 5 2010, 01:32 AM']Don'cha just love it when a plan comes together!?
The bass looks fantastic and I wish you both a long and happy life together. :)[/quote]

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='701270' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:56 AM']Looks awesome![/quote]

Thanks guys :rolleyes:
I'm one happy bunny!

Stayed up late last night just playing without the amp, I'm going to have to get some kind of headphone amp...

Eude

[quote name='peted' post='701726' date='Jan 5 2010, 03:31 PM']Gorgeous. I love the idea of pairing the single overwound pickup with the tonal variety of the ACG pre-amp. Dare I ask how it compares to your Shuker?[/quote]

It's a pretty powerful combination!

No bother at all asking about how it compares to the Shuker.
My Shuker and how I use it day to day was actually the starting point for this bass.

I love the sound and playability of the bass, but I find I'm really only using the lower 5 strings for all my gigging and practicing needs at the moment and for the foreseeable, bar noodling at home, so it had to be a 5 string.
I only ever use the front pickup on the Shuker, which is one of those seriously hot EMG DC pickups, which is why I went with the pickup overwound spec, also, I tend to leave the EQ flat on it and boost the low mids on the amp, so I'll be able to use the ACG pre to do that and rely on my amp solely for amplification from now on.
The white ash body of the Shuker gets "my sound", but can be a little heavy, at times, hence the Swamp Ash.
I really miss the Wenge neck from my ol' Warwick, which I associate with a little bit of growl, so I specced that too.
I opted for a simple, no obviously fancy wood option here too, as this is meant to be a working instrument.

So I guess the short answer is it's similar, but different, at least soundwise.
Both basses can make very different noises which either bass can't mimic, however there's a clear middle ground which is "my sound".
The Shuker can be a bit more delicate, and with the bridge pickup can get a bit more Jaco-esque, where the ACG can be a lot more aggressive, and enormous sounding, I'm still exploring of course though...

That answer your question dude? :)

Eude

[quote name='steve' post='701789' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:06 PM']Incedible looking bass mate, i'm really chuffed for you. The dirty swamp ash finish is really different and it works really well with the bloodwood[/quote]

Thanks mate :)
It worked out really well, the bloodwood is just incredible in the flesh too.
The only downside to all of this is, you'd assume you'd be cured of GAS at least for a wee while, but I've got a list of future customs just waiting!...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='701777' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:00 PM']That answer your question dude? :)[/quote]
Thanks for the answer, and yes, it did. Is the ACG a passive pickup with active EQ, or both active pickup and EQ? Can you bypass the EQ to make it an entirely passive instrument?

[quote name='peted' post='701969' date='Jan 5 2010, 06:36 PM']Thanks for the answer, and yes, it did. Is the ACG a passive pickup with active EQ, or both active pickup and EQ? Can you bypass the EQ to make it an entirely passive instrument?[/quote]

No probs mate.
As far as I'm aware, the ACG has a passive pickup and active EQ.
You can't bypass the EQ, but there's a low battery indicator, so that meets the only issue I've ever had with active instruments anyway, in my opinion they sound better off the bat, I like a lot of headroom and are obviously a lot more flexible, I fully accept it's horses for courses on that one though :)

Eude

[quote name='silddx' post='702127' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:04 PM']If you described that bass by words only, I'd probably have puked, but the strange thing is, it is really, really beautiful and I feel quite emotional.[/quote]

He he.
Yeah, I guess it sounds weird on paper, bloomin' works though :)
Glad you like it mate.

Eude

[quote name='mcgraham' post='702478' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:29 AM']Sweeeet. I love the trans black style finish. Really simple but elegant and classy at the same time. Simplicity with elegance is clearly the way to go with custom basses at the moment.[/quote]

I hear ya man!
Simple elegance, I like that :)

Eude