Why become a member? ×

The score with Shuker basses

EBS_freak

OK, the forum is going mad for Shuker... but why?

I'm not having a go or anything - I am generally interested as I have never seen one in the flesh. They have nothing amazing in the electonics department or anything like that... so what is it that is driving people crazy for them?

I'm going to check them out at Bass Day as I am intrigued to the max.

Not got mine yet, still being built. But already I can vouch for him and his instruments.

Every one of them I've played at his workshop has played like absolute butter, flawless playability - as you'd expect for a custom instrument. There's a 5 string he had in last time as just a stock instrument - strung as a tenor, and gawd, I nearly changed my mind from my custom to buy that on the spot o_O And good value. Okay, my seven string is a bit above the average price, but to get what is basically a custom Jazz bass for (correct me if I'm wrong) a very competitive price with an off the shelf MIA Jazz ain't too shabby. The electronics aren't anything special unless you ask for them to be :) And sometimes you just don't need anything magical to get a good sound.

He's also a tremendous chap. He always finds time for his customers, he's incredibly helpful with designing the instruments from scratch and telling you what will and won't work.

It's all just attention to detail.

Plus he lives like 45 mins from me on the bus :huh:

I dunno, that's just my view on it all. Anyone else?

Well, the attraction for me was getting a jazz built exactly as I wanted it, for a reasonable price. The quality of workmanship is topnotch - as you'd expect, in fairness, with a custom build. The bass I received the other day is simply letting me communicate my musical ideas for more easily than other basses I have. I highly recommend you try one if you can! If you're ever in Essex let me know!

[quote name='Finbar' post='77612' date='Oct 22 2007, 02:11 AM']Not got mine yet, still being built. But already I can vouch for him and his instruments.

Every one of them I've played at his workshop has played like absolute butter, flawless playability - as you'd expect for a custom instrument. There's a 5 string he had in last time as just a stock instrument - strung as a tenor, and gawd, I nearly changed my mind from my custom to buy that on the spot o_O And good value. Okay, my seven string is a bit above the average price, but to get what is basically a custom Jazz bass for (correct me if I'm wrong) a very competitive price with an off the shelf MIA Jazz ain't too shabby. The electronics aren't anything special unless you ask for them to be :) And sometimes you just don't need anything magical to get a good sound.

He's also a tremendous chap. He always finds time for his customers, he's incredibly helpful with designing the instruments from scratch and telling you what will and won't work.

It's all just attention to detail.

Plus he lives like 45 mins from me on the bus :huh:

I dunno, that's just my view on it all. Anyone else?[/quote]

+ 1 on that, My 6 headless is superb. I played Dood's 7er at the last Bass Bash, and that was it. I ordered mine a month later. They are excellent basses for the money, the build quality is second to none, plus Jon's a great chap to work with, full of ideas and suggestions to make your instrument even more special. I can't recommend him enough. I'm thinking of having a Jazz made now, I'm going to get a price off him, and see how we go. It's going to look like Geddy's red un !

[attachment=3051:Geddy_Le...lan_2004.jpg]

Edited by Johngh

Three reasons.

1. Competitive price compared to Sei, GB, Zoot, Overwater etc.
2. Location - not so many custom builders oop north. Lots of people (but not all) like to use a local builder they can visit.
3. Flexibility as he will build what you like. Lots of the others offer variations on the theme of their stock basses (like my red Spitfire bases GB) but Jon will build more bespoke basses (like Doodle).

There are other custom basses on basschat and there are quite a few of us with GB's, plus RM Basses and AC Guitars are actually members so are better at posting their pictures in build threads. Bernie for one is not very good at IT so is unlikely to provide a customer with a photographic build diary.

[quote name='Toasted' post='77634' date='Oct 22 2007, 09:05 AM']I've never been blown away with any of ths Shuker's I've played, without exception they've all felt fragile. That doesn't mean that I can't see the attraction of a competatively priced custom instrument for alot of players.[/quote]

I've only played one, sure it was nice but it lacked something that others like Wal, Sei, Alembic, Status, Modulus, Overwater have, I don't know what it was, I just didn't like it, it felt sort of 'stiff'.

I'm not critiscising his instruments, it's probably just me.......there're enough people on here who obviously disagree.

can't really add too much to what other people have already said.

*the build quality of Jons basses are the same standard as all other uk luthiers. i've owned an Overwater and played a couple of GB's, and can vouch that the workmanship is on a par, and people on this forum have compared others (such as Sei) with similar results.

*Jon is closer to a 'custom' bass luthier than most others (IMHO), because as bass ferret said, with a lot of others you can change specs on a base model. going completely custom can get expensive, and some wont even do it. with Jon it's almost the other way round. he seems to relish the idea of doing something new and unique (this was a very large factor in me choosing him)

*again, as mentioned a lot, the prices are [i]very[/i] competitive (another major factor in me choosing him)

*and finaly, Jon seems to have an incredible nack of getting you the [b]sound[/b] that your after. (ie, i want a deep and punchy, or, i want it clear and crisp)

i wouldn't say Jons better than any other luthier in the country. but it looks like, for a lot of people on this forum, Jon fits the profile best. though i've got to say ACG and RIM are probably just as popular here.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='77860' date='Oct 22 2007, 08:17 PM']with Jon it's almost the other way round. he seems to relish the idea of doing something new and unique (this was a very large factor in me choosing him)[/quote]
It certainly seemed that way with my commission too, I don't think he's designed a MIDI bass before but what sold me on him was that he had already used parts from the same suppliers. So there was no teeth sucking and 'could be tricky' bollocks from him when I asked for something that deviated from an absolutely bog standard instrument because he already knew what work was involved, instead of charging me for his learning curve.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='77860' date='Oct 22 2007, 08:17 PM']*again, as mentioned a lot, the prices are [i]very[/i] competitive (another major factor in me choosing him)[/quote]
He charges most outsourced parts at cost as far as I can see, which I think is both fair minded and gracious of him. He doesn't appear to profiteer which I have found in a number of other UK luthiers, so I'm inclined to trust his judgement on spec more. We also ended up agreeing about parts qute often which was encouraging.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='77860' date='Oct 22 2007, 08:17 PM']*and finaly, Jon seems to have an incredible nack of getting you the [b]sound[/b] that your after. (ie, i want a deep and punchy, or, i want it clear and crisp)[/quote]
This I am going to have to wait and see. I've asked for a Ken Smith sound but with a little more mid range and a little less boom. Jon seems to think we've got the spec right. I am a little wary of builders who let me do too much of the spec when it comes to wood, it's their expertise and materials I'm paying for, after all.

[quote name='Toasted' post='77634' date='Oct 22 2007, 09:05 AM']I've never been blown away with any of ths Shuker's I've played, without exception they've all felt fragile. That doesn't mean that I can't see the attraction of a competatively priced custom instrument for alot of players.[/quote]

You wanna try mine - it's a bit of a tank! My own fault for having a wenge body though :)

I only played a couple prior to placing my order (way back in 2002!) but they were very nice; he also managed to get mine exactly has I'd asked for sound-wise. I'd do it differently now but that's just because I'm much pickier now after getting 5 years use out of my first custom. Main criticism of my base by most people is that the EMG's dominate the sound a little, I agree somewhat but still love it.

Jon crafted for me a beautiful instrument exactly as I wanted it, with a few choice suggested improvements of his own, for less than the cost of a new Stingray 5 and half the price of a comparable Sei or GB. 'Nuff said.
Man's a genius.

[quote name='Rich' post='80863' date='Oct 29 2007, 04:46 PM']Jon crafted for me a beautiful instrument exactly as I wanted it, with a few choice suggested improvements of his own, for less than the cost of a new Stingray 5 and half the price of a comparable Sei or GB. 'Nuff said.
Man's a genius.[/quote]
Whatever anyone thinks of his instruments, it seems to me that Jon Shuker obviously makes his customers feel valued, and that they're getting incredible value for their money.. That's a winning combination in anyone's book!

Personally, I've only ever played one Shuker (MacDaddy's 6 string at the SE Bash in August) and it was a quality instrument, no doubt about it!

[quote name='Toasted' post='77634' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:05 AM']I've never been blown away with any of ths Shuker's I've played, without exception they've all felt fragile. That doesn't mean that I can't see the attraction of a competatively priced custom instrument for alot of players.[/quote]

I have owned two Shuker basses over the years. Both of them got heavily gigged. In fact the one that I still own has been my main workhorse for 1 1/2 years in a professional gig. Nothing fragile in action!!!

[quote name='Rich' post='80863' date='Oct 29 2007, 04:46 PM']Jon crafted for me a beautiful instrument exactly as I wanted it, with a few choice suggested improvements of his own, for less than the cost of a new Stingray 5 and half the price of a comparable Sei or GB. 'Nuff said.
Man's a genius.[/quote]I should add that this was his list price, & not a heavily discounted deal of any sort.

+ 1 on all of that.
Fab guy, fab prices, fab access and assistance for numpties like me.
Great advice on features and woods to achieve certain things, eg punch and growl.

His key super power as far as I am concerned is to take wordy descriptions of sounds, with example tracks, and to turn out a bass that does it.

+ 1 on he does like a challenge.

He has a major failing though, he will talk to you whenever you get him on the phone. This means the bass he's working on at the moment gets put back a few hours ..

If you take his build time with an (X = A X 1.5) pinch of salt then he's just brilliant.

I'm currently waiting for number two. It's been quite a while but I know it will be well worth it.