Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

Hello all.

This thread was on old site. I quite liked it because it made me aware of some of the more interesting overlooked players, probably never heard of or listened to in much detail.
My nominations are:

Barry Adamson (Magazine)
George Murray (Bowie - 'Low','Scary Monsters')* wish I could find more info on this guy, nothing on Web(?)

Has anybody got any other listening recommendations, more obscure the better.

Cheers
Nick

Most people find this band quite hard to stomach, but I reckon Michael Macivor from Candiria is a bit of an underrated legend.

Norman Watt Roy, I'm not sure I'd say he was totally underrated, but he is a total legend.

MB1. :)
charlie tumahai.be bop deluxe the first bassist i ever saw play and sing harmony/fender telecaster bass
John Rhino Edwards. now with status quo but theres much more to this guy!/alembic/status
pino palladino.where do you start with this guy/musicman/fender
norman watt roy. oi norman play the bass!/alembic/fender
gerry mcavoy.rory g and nine below zero. solid/fender/musicman.

Ryan Martinie - Mudvayne
James Leach - Sikth
Arif Mirabdolbaghi - Protest The Hero
Sam Rivers - Limp Bizkit
Dwayne Wright - Solo gospel
Justin Raines - Solo gosepl
Nick Fyffe - Former Jamiroquai
Jimmy Haslip - The Yellowjacktes
Debra Killings - Solo artist
Dirk Lance (or Alex Katunich) - Former Incubus
Tye Zamora - Former Alien Ant Farm (He really is that good if you give AAF a good listen, great tone and knows his theory)

Edited by Josh

I reckon that Janek Gwizdala gets over looked by some players, maybe that's because he's doing some far out jazz stuff, but he's a serious serious player, and pushing the bass to it's limits!!!

I think for tone, Paul Turner is serverely underrated, his tone is so hot it's unbelievable, i don't think he gets enough credit!!!

Any finally, from what i have heard of his playing, Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) is a monster player!!!

Just a few...mayber Hadrien Feraud as well, although, i think he's pretty new on the scene, but he's got some serious chops!!!

Jamie

+1 for James Leach - that guy is my hero and he is an amazing bassist. Check out that crazy bass fill on Hold My Finger :)

I always nominate Alex James for these discussions as well. Some of his basslines are superb and totally enhance Blur's music.

[quote name='MB1' post='6759' date='May 25 2007, 07:30 PM']MB1. :)
charlie tumahai.be bop deluxe the first bassist i ever saw play and sing harmony/fender telecaster bass[/quote]

[size=4]+1 for Charlie! [/size]

And a lovely guy too - sadly now no longer with us.

He always had a smile on his face when he played.

David