Why become a member? ×

What do you play when you pick up a bass?

Jam

I'm sure there's already a thread on this somewhere but i don't know where and i'll be damned if i'm trawling 35 pages of posts to check!

So yeah, when you try out a bass for the first time, or pick one up to play with, do you have any songs you always play?

Usually I play Aeroplane (yes I know, cliche, but it's a fun line), and Jamiroquai's Cosmic Girl for fingerstyle, with some Opeth stuff (usually Bleak) just to try out the heavier side of things.. How about you guys? Any songs you always play?

I suppose the reason i'm asking this is to kinda broaden my knowledge so I can look up some of the songs you guys love to play and try them out myself!

Depends on the bass!

If it's a semi-acoustic (I collect vintage Hofners) then it'll be a McCartney bassline ... [i]All My Loving[/i] or maybe [i]Eight Days A Week[/i], melodic lines played fairly high up the fretboard.

If it's a solid-body then I'll usually play something by Stevie Wonder ... [i]Higher Ground[/i] or, predictably, [i]Superstition[/i]. On a fretless [i]Misstra Know It All[/i] sounds great.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Jam' post='77999' date='Oct 23 2007, 05:09 AM']I'm sure there's already a thread on this somewhere but i don't know where and i'll be damned if i'm trawling 35 pages of posts to check![/quote]

You're very welcome to use the search engine - top right corner?

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='78150' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:42 AM']If it's in a guitar shop, I normally can't remember a single one![/quote]

Funny how that happens isnt it? sometimes I cant for the life of me think up some song to play.

I endup playing a few basslines from my covers band, like: anouk - the dark, AIC them bones (if its a 5r), sitting on the dock of the bay, etc...

other than that, a few of my many original songs and more than a few doodles in between.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='78008' date='Oct 23 2007, 07:29 AM']You're very welcome to use the search engine - top right corner?[/quote]

Aha! Sorry buddy, didn't see that. I'll be sure to make use of it in the future!

Also:

"If it's in a guitar shop, I normally can't remember a single one!"

Why does this always happen!? :)

[quote name='E_MaN' post='78458' date='Oct 23 2007, 06:43 PM']Your the One that I want - Grease lol, always gets a few looks, but then you have to follow it up with Master of Puppets or Blood and Thunder :)[/quote]

I'm a Summer Loving type of guy. One time, an employee came up to me and she said it was a welcome change to everyone playing RHCP lines.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='78150' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:42 AM']If it's in a guitar shop, I normally can't remember a single one![/quote]

+1 on that! I go utterly blank so I end up twiddling around and making an unholy racket!

Also when getting back in to the car, flicking on the CD and hearing something obvious, my usual comment - "Oh FFS why didn't I do that!"

i try never to play the same thing, truth be told i use to always warm up with a few licks, but i'm trying to drag my music away from repetition!!
today i just play how i feel,
ie slam my hand on the fretboard to find a random key and work around it with current harmony ideas and moods!!! today was a manic slap pattern in c minor!!