Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass...

umcoo

[quote name='umcoo' post='78350' date='Oct 23 2007, 03:47 PM']Hello there. I'm selling my bass on ebay and want to know the best way to ship it. It has a hardshell case, but should i put that in a big cardboard box also?? Or is the case ok on it's own? Thanks![/quote]

Definitely wrap it up and put it in a cardboard box - otherwise you risk damage to the case!

yeah I would - although I have received a couple of guitars/basses that were just sent in the hardcases and they turned up completely intact and some loony sent an unpadded gig bag with a guitar in off with parcelforce - no box or anything, which turned up with the address label hanging off and no more than a broken tuner. Not that I'd recommend doing that.

Every one I've sent has been in a cardboard box and most of them were in hardcases too.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='78377' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:22 PM']yeah I would - although I have received a couple of guitars/basses that were just sent in the hardcases and they turned up completely intact and some loony sent an unpadded gig bag with a guitar in off with parcelforce - no box or anything, which turned up with the address label hanging off and no more than a broken tuner. Not that I'd recommend doing that.

Every one I've sent has been in a cardboard box and most of them were in hardcases too.[/quote]

Thnaks for the replies...may I ask where you got a suitable sized box?

I've received guitars in a hard shell case wrapped in a couple of layers of brown paper which were fine. The last guitar I received via Royal Mail was mailed in a gig bag inside a big cardboard box that had been stuffed with balled plastic bags and bubble wrap, with a plank selotaped along the neck/body for extra strength.

[quote name='umcoo' post='78387' date='Oct 23 2007, 04:33 PM']Thnaks for the replies...may I ask where you got a suitable sized box?[/quote]
Check out a bicycle shop. They get their bikes delivered in pretty large boxes. I also used some expanded polystyrene and lots of tape from Wicks.

If a cardboard box is hard to find for it, then just get a wide sheet of bubblewrap and tape it securely about the hardcase. I have had 2 basses shipped to me in this way and there was no damage whatsoever to the case.

also, the last, since it was a semi-hardcase, like the sadowsky ones, also had cardboard taped on the ends just for a little extra protection.

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='78933' date='Oct 24 2007, 04:11 PM']If a cardboard box is hard to find for it, then just get a wide sheet of bubblewrap and tape it securely about the hardcase. I have had 2 basses shipped to me in this way and there was no damage whatsoever to the case.

also, the last, since it was a semi-hardcase, like the sadowsky ones, also had cardboard taped on the ends just for a little extra protection.[/quote]

that was me wot sent it :)

this is how i sent Bassaussie his Sadowsky. It went in a Protec semi-hard case (a bit like the Zero-G cases). I made sure that I braced the bass inside the case with some bits of polystyrene, ensuring that the neck also had plenty of support too. Once I had the case all closed, I chucked it about a little bit :huh: to make sure that there wasn't any moveent inside the case. Then I constucted two corner guards out of some old carboard boxes. Each custom fitted for each end of the case, and taping them in place. Then I wrapped up the whole thing with standard bubble wrap (of which I had a big "catering pack" roll), wrapping it around in a gradual spiral so I only had to cut it once at the end. When the bubble wrap was taped in place, I used lots of additional masking/wrapping tape to bind up all the packaging and make sure everything was secure.

All this because I cannot find anywhere selling appropriate cardboard boxes!

Hope that is of some use to anyone thinking of shipping a bass :huh:

[quote name='Gwilym' post='79117' date='Oct 24 2007, 09:42 PM']this is how i sent Bassaussie his Sadowsky...[/quote]

Bassaussie? hehe, I really need to change my username, 2 aussie bassplayers in portugal, and thats what you get. hehe.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='79117' date='Oct 24 2007, 09:42 PM']Once I had the case all closed, I chucked it about a little bit :huh:[/quote]
:) :huh: You barstard! :huh: