Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics Polytune Tuner

Dood

and works on bass, they say!

[quote]Tuning used to be a necessary evil. The last barrier before you could get truly rocking. But now, tuning is ready to get blasted into the 21st century with PolyTune, the stomp-box sized tuning miracle from TC Electronic!

PolyTune is the world's first polyphonic tuner, and a game-changing total tuning turnaround that will have future guitarists wondering how we ever got by without it.

It couldn't be done - until we did it.
The magic lies in a never before seen approach to tuning aimed at speed, accuracy and ease of use. With PolyTune, you simply strum all strings on your guitar or bass at once, and it will immediately tell you which strings need tuning! This cutting-edge tuning technology revolutionizes the way you tune and accomplishes what has been deemed 'impossible' until now: tuning all strings simultaneously! It really is as simple as strum - tune - rock, and this quantum leap forward allows you to get in tune fast, and back to doing what you love: playing.[/quote]

The official page is here..
[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune.asp"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune.asp[/url]

Looks pretty interesting. I'd think that it's arguably more useful on the guitar than the bass. The real down side is that it doesn't seem to support anything other than EADGBE tuning (or semitones down/up on all strings) for the polyphonic mode... which means it has no benefit over a standard tuner (aside from the quite nice looking display) if you're playing in dropped-D, DADGAD, etc.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='713920' date='Jan 15 2010, 03:43 PM']Its just as good as normal tuners in chromatic mode as well. The vids explain it quite well. So the Poly thing is an addition.[/quote]
Sure. Personally I wouldn't use the poly mode on the bass and, since it doesn't seem to support altered tunings, I probably wouldn't use it on the guitar either. Therefore, for me, it's not got any tangible benefits over my TU-2 aside from accuracy. Their stated ±0.5 cents is pretty impressive and is certainly better than the Boss TU-2 (±3 cents), TU-3 or a Korg Pitchblack (both ±1 cent) and is approaching Strobostomp territory (which can do ±0.1 cent). For £75 it's certainly a good offering.

[quote name='Doddy' post='720105' date='Jan 21 2010, 01:43 PM']So,after checking this tuner out a bit more I've decided that I no longer want one

.................I [u]need[/u] to have this tuner. It's a bit awesome.[/quote]

+1....im putting one on order.

£75 seems to be the going price, and out in March time.

I'm hoping that totally unexplained USB port on the rear panel will be to update the software for non standard tunings, and anything up to 7/8 string guitars.

Until then, I don't have a use for the extra features it has, and I'll stick with something else I think.

• 1 month later...

Bass Direct now officially have these in stock so ordered one today! :) Exciting!

One thing to note, it's not clear whether this tuner lets you have the tuner on and still have your bass signal going through it to your amp (like the DT-10 bypass feature). I quite like this feature for constant intonation monitoring on fretless, though I have a solution for this anyway if it turns out that the tuner doesn't support this feature.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='762686' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:23 AM']Bass Direct now officially have these in stock so ordered one today! :) Exciting!

One thing to note, it's not clear whether this tuner lets you have the tuner on and still have your bass signal going through it to your amp (like the DT-10 bypass feature). I quite like this feature for constant intonation monitoring on fretless, though I have a solution for this anyway if it turns out that the tuner doesn't support this feature.[/quote]

Ah they have hit the UK.

Mine should be here this week...yes :rolleyes:

[quote name='mcgraham' post='762686' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:23 AM']I quite like this feature for constant intonation monitoring on fretless, though I have a solution for this anyway if it turns out that the tuner doesn't support this feature.[/quote]

Put frets on it lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is it just me or does anyone think these look really cheap and nasty? Like one of those Behringer copies.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='762742' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:12 AM']Put frets on it lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is it just me or does anyone think these look really cheap and nasty? Like one of those Behringer copies.[/quote]

Oh heck I hope it aint lol. I ordered one as soon as I knew about it. I very rarely need to tune but its nice for use with guitar as well. I think the fact its more accurate than my last pedal made me want to buy it, plus its got Polytune function! I probably wouldnt have gone for it until I realised how great TC gear is in general. I think they are trying to offer the industry standard tuner, (eg taking over Boss TU-2/3...but thats going to be tough going!)

I don't think they look cheap at all. I think it looks very minimalist and very slick... which I like!

I could see it becoming an industry standard due to its simplicity and its advanced feature set. It's also intuitive as it switches mode according to which one it detects you are wanting (i.e. single note, multiple notes, etc). I think a real difficulty will be satisfying the hordes of moaners out there who are griping about lack of flexibility in the advanced features and how 'pointless' the polytune feature is.