Why become a member? ×

The Gallery in Camden Town

2wheeler

Last week I posted my adventures in Birmingham.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7169"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7169[/url]

This week's travels had me coming home from King's Cross in London. If you go out of the exit by platform 10, turn right, do a left right under the car park and the fork right into Royal College Street, a 15min purposeful stride takes you to the door of the Gallery.
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/[/url]

This is a very different prospect from the bass section of your average music shop, it's just basses - mmmm lovely.
Unfortunately I didn't have very much time and they were in the middle of receiving a delivery but it's great to talk directly to the proprietors rather than a representative. Despite being very busy, they answered my questions first before doing the next thing. I did manage to try a few basses in my short time there. I am looking for a 4-string and this place has so many basses with 5 or more strings that the 4-string basses start to look like strangled, weedy things by comparison. But that's not really the point...

I liked some aspects of the Ibanez ATK but there was nowhere to get my thumb locked on. I was initiallly attracted by Tanglewood basses but the body seems wrongly proportioned. I liked two basses in particular. My first choice was (I think) an Ibanez EDB700. Their website lists the price as £449 but when I asked they said it was £599. Of course I could be wrong about the model. Also I had said I wouldn't buy anything today so maybe they thought it was enough to just give me a "ball park" value. I like to think they would have checked a bit more carefully before taking any money off me.
My second choice was a Yamaha. I don't know what it was but I really like the thumb-shaped indentations in the top of the pick-ups - you can really lock on there. [edit: I think it was an RBX 374]

Anyway, in summary I had a much better experience at the Gallery and will try to steer my next trip via King's Cross. Probably best to phone before you go and make sure they are not in the middle of a delivery, though...

Edited by 2wheeler

[quote name='2wheeler' post='78940' date='Oct 24 2007, 04:24 PM']Their website lists the price as £449 but when I asked they said it was £599. Of course I could be wrong about the model. Also I had said I wouldn't buy anything today so maybe they thought it was enough to just give me a "ball park" value. I like to think they would have checked a bit more carefully before taking any money off me.[/quote]

I really like The Gallery. I bought my Warwick Infinity SN5 from there. When I asked about the price, I was quoted something higher than the website. When I asked the guy I was dealing with about the price on the website, he checked downstairs and/or the computer and said that price was fine.

I honestly believe they just don't know all the prices off the top of their heads but they will not overcharge you deliberately. But I would just make sure you know what the website prices are before you hand over any money. I think they also like to try to match prices you might find elsewhere. Always worth mentioning if you have a quote from somewhere else.

[quote name='Mike' post='79146' date='Oct 24 2007, 11:02 PM']Yeah, not always the cheapest but service has always been good to me - great selection of high class basses too! +1 for Alex.[/quote]

+1. I am more than happy to pay that little bit extra for that guarantee of great customer service.

[quote name='Mike' post='79146' date='Oct 24 2007, 11:02 PM']Yeah, not always the cheapest but service has always been good to me - great selection of high class basses too! +1 for Alex.[/quote]

Would definitely endorse Mike's quote. Good quality shop & service - my wife bought me two Epifani cabs earlier this year (1st Wedding Anniversary pressie - thank you Sonia :) ) & Alex was as helpful as ever, always keeping us up to date with the transport from the USA.

No hassle about trying gear out either - would definitely have no qualms about visiting & buying from The Gallery again. 10/10 all round.

Mike - which part of Chelmsford are you from? (live in Reading now, but lived at Spalding Ave for the 1st 7 years of my life).

Cheers,
iamthewlarus