Why become a member? ×

Does any have a chord progression for Fever

fatgoogle

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='714882' date='Jan 16 2010, 03:03 PM']Just wondering if any one has a chord progression sheet for fever or were i can find one. Need one for someone to back me on bass while im playing trumpet.
Thanks
Sam H[/quote]

Fever as in Little Willie John/Peggy Lee/Elvis/James Cotton? Fever as in THAT bass part? or d'you mean Kylie?

I've got a James Cotton take on it somewhere, I'll have a go at tabbing it out later if no-one else jumps in. It's not that hard.

Here's the King:

& a rather scratchy LWJ

One of those tunes that the bass owns

Pete

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='715010' date='Jan 16 2010, 05:16 PM']Never been a huge Elvis fan, but just listened to the track. Man, I'd love to be able to play that! I reckon even on electric that'd sound amazing![/quote]

Works on a fretless beautifully. Dead easy too.

This sounds about right - no expression, but the notes are there. It's also in C, I'm used to it in Bb, but once you've got the shape nailed it's segmented urea to transpose it.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='tarcher' post='715154' date='Jan 16 2010, 08:12 PM']Just go to www.chordie.com and type in fever and you'll get it.

I've just wasted 15 mins trying to make a link for you but I can't do it so if any body can explain to me how to do it I'd be very grateful ta[/quote]
[list=1]
[*]Hover your mouse over the link to the page you want to create a link too
[*]right click
[*]select "copy link location"
[*]Switch to your post here
[*]click on the green button with the + sign to the right of the smilie button
[*]Ctrl + V to paste the link you copied earlier
[*]Enter
[*]type whatever you want to appear as your link
[*]Enter
[*]and as they say in Private Eye ................er that's it :)
[/list]

[url="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/p/presley-elvis/15022.html"]Fever (Elvis) - according to GuitarTab.com[/url]

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='715266' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:45 PM'][/quote]
I'd have stuck three flats on the beginning, so it's in C minor. I don't have time to do more than the intro, but something like this:
[attachment=40729:Fever_intro.gif]
(The rhythm's not precise, but as long as you play the quavers swung, it's fine.)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='719896' date='Jan 21 2010, 10:42 AM']DON'T DO IT!!!! 'Fever' is a banned song on the Bilbo 'not jazz' jazz chart (no. 3, if I recall correctly)! It pretends to sound jazzy but, on the quiet, it sucks!! :) Just let it die. Its lived long enough and deserves to rest.[/quote]

I can imagine that jazz has its "Mustang Sally" & "Sweet Home Alabama" equivalents... where do you stand on "Work Song" & Nat King Cole's take on "Route 66"?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='731775' date='Feb 1 2010, 03:49 PM']I can imagine that jazz has its "Mustang Sally" & "Sweet Home Alabama" equivalents... where do you stand on "Work Song" & Nat King Cole's take on "Route 66"?[/quote]

Luv 'em both! It's the Herbie Hancock stuff that's dated so quickly.

[quote name='robocorpse' post='719970' date='Jan 21 2010, 12:46 PM']The best version of Fever ever recorded IMHO. Atmosphere by the bucketload...

[/quote]

[b]that may well be true. However the Cramps were famous for not having a bass player. Lead and rythym guitar only. Saw them for the first time at Erics liverpool in 1979, absolutely blew me 'ead off, even without a bass.[/b]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='807613' date='Apr 15 2010, 08:49 PM']that may well be true. However the Cramps were famous for not having a bass player. Lead and rythym guitar only.[/quote]
They had bass players at points though didn't they? I thought Sean Yseult (of White Zombie) played with them back in 06/07.

[quote name='Eight' post='809826' date='Apr 17 2010, 08:29 PM']They had bass players at points though didn't they? I thought Sean Yseult (of White Zombie) played with them back in 06/07.[/quote]

Really ? Dunno I was only into them, in 1979 and the 1980s really. A quote from Wikipedia says "[i]Their music is mostly in rockabilly form, played at varying tempos, with a very minimal drumkit. An integral part of the early Cramps sound is dual guitars, without a bassist.[/i] "Saw them several times with the original line up of Poison Ivy on rhythm and Brian Gregory on lead. Deffo no bass then. But maybe they hankered after a new sound in latter decades ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='811024' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:59 AM']Nice little simple transcription, although all of the D#'s should have been Eb's. [b]It's meant to be in C Minor[/b] :)[/quote]

I can't take credit for the transcription, it's c/o a tab I got from 911Tabs.com & printed from GuitarPro.

I'll take issue on the key though. It's [i]meant[/i] to be in B flat Minor - That's the original & vastly superior Little Willie John recording from 1956. The Peggy Lee version (1958) seems to be in Am, whereas the Elvis take (1960) is in Cm.

LWJ also recorded the first version of another great but done-to-death tune, namely "Need Your Love So Bad" (also 1956).

NYLSB:

& here's a bit of "Fever" as done by Keith John, LWJ's son, with Stevie Wonder:

Bbmin.

Pete.

[quote name='daz' post='809834' date='Apr 17 2010, 08:38 PM']But maybe they hankered after a new sound in latter decades ?[/quote]
Wish I could tell you - not a big Cramps fan (don't mind them though). Just Sean is one of my few bass idols and I remember her joining. It's plausible she was playing guitar instead though.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='719896' date='Jan 21 2010, 11:42 AM']DON'T DO IT!!!! 'Fever' is a banned song on the Bilbo 'not jazz' jazz chart (no. 3, if I recall correctly)! It pretends to sound jazzy but, on the quiet, it sucks!! :rolleyes: Just let it die. Its lived long enough and deserves to rest.[/quote]
What's wrong with it, Bilbo? Not enough mindless noodling? :) If it swings (and Peggy Lee swings), it's jazz. IMHO.

What are nos. 1 and 2 on your chart?