Why become a member? ×

Fretless ideas!

Johnzy

hopefully i will have enough monies saved up by christmas to buy myself a little treat.
I need a fretless bass badly, i owned a sandberg 6 string which is one of the best out there but had to sell it to fund myself in college! :)
kept my head down and i've got about £400 to spend on a fretless.
i really wanna an all passive jazz bass pref 5 strings. i've been thinking about getting a cij and getting martin at the gallery to defret it for me. but it all seems like alot of trouble for just a simple bass!
any recomendations from you guys???

If you want a 5 string fretless jazz and you've considered de-fretting a CIJ, why not defret one of those Squier Deluxe [url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300575500"]Jazz Basses[/url]? The fretboard with no marker dots is begging to be defretted; and I'm sure you could 'pimp' it up at a later date, should you feel the need. You can get 'em on ebay for £235 delivered.

I'm very tempted myself!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='79143' date='Oct 24 2007, 10:55 PM']+1 for The Squier VM Fretless Jazz.

If you can go a bit higher than £400 you should also look at the Ibanez Gary Willis GWB35

These are the only 2 new fretless basses under £1000 that I've liked.[/quote]

Agreed.

I highly recommend this bass. It is currently the only bass I use and is the best fretless (once i set it up) I have tried under £1000. Then again I tried a roscoe fretless 5, but still prefer the GWB35.

Edited by Mikey D

I've thought about the ibanez bass, but was put off by the basswood body! plus its active, with humbuckers!! i want jazz pickups and passive controls, ala jaco!
the squier is nice, but i just cant get round the idea of signature instruments. i dont want to buy a cheap copy of the jaco custom shop! when i turn up to gigs i dont want people thinking i wanna be jaco or even a budget version of him. i'm really opinionated on gear, but i'm loving the ideas you are throwing my way. keep them coming.
think its still gonna be the cij fender, as nothing i can find matches the specs for the price! plus it will be martins defretting work, so it would be worth much more!!!

[quote name='Johnzy' post='79316' date='Oct 25 2007, 11:59 AM']I've thought about the ibanez bass, but was put off by the basswood body! plus its active, with humbuckers!! i want jazz pickups and passive controls, ala jaco!
the squier is nice, but i just cant get round the idea of signature instruments. i dont want to buy a cheap copy of the jaco custom shop! when i turn up to gigs i dont want people thinking i wanna be jaco or even a budget version of him. i'm really opinionated on gear, but i'm loving the ideas you are throwing my way. keep them coming.
think its still gonna be the cij fender, as nothing i can find matches the specs for the price! plus it will be martins defretting work, so it would be worth much more!!![/quote]

So you basically want a jaco bass but you don't!?

It's a shame you are put off by the basswood and single humbucker...if you want the jaco sound out of the ibanez you can get it (well I can). I suppose if looks matter thats fair enough though.

you know what its like when you turn up to a gig and see a guitarist with a big flashy ibanez ala vai.
or when someone is wealding a 6 string bass?
or double kick drum set?
there are preset expectations! i dont want to judged! thats all.
i dont think you get the point about the ibanez, its active!! passive humbuckers can be really good, but the cheap ones are often coupled with a active circuit to make them sound better.
basswood isnt my thing either.

Isn't it better to give people false expectations and then prove them completely wrong in a good way? I mean, they're not gonna leave the gig just coz they don't like the look of your bass! I did my last couple of gigs with my 6-string and maybe people thought I was trying to be John Myung and then they saw me play and perhaps I changed their minds

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='79364' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:13 PM']Isn't it better to give people false expectations and then prove them completely wrong in a good way? I mean, they're not gonna leave the gig just coz they don't like the look of your bass! I did my last couple of gigs with my 6-string and maybe people thought I was trying to be John Myung and then they saw me play and perhaps I changed their minds[/quote]

to me the first impression counts. music is so open now, but people still make their mind up in a second. changing it can be hard! playing music is only 10% of the music business. someone sees your picture on t'internet, what they gonna think? people hear 30 seconds of my groove what they gonna think? i hate this way of think but its just how it goes for majority, there are special people out there though!

am i missing something here - how many of the audience would have a clue who Jaco, Myung or even what kinda guitar Vai plays?

I've only been playing seriously for less than 6 months, have done a couple of gigs, can get through the set. I'm studying and learning loads as I go along, I don't have a clue what Myung plays, the only reason that I know anything about Vai's hardware is because the guitarist of a band i used to manage made me sit through an afternoon of Vai, and a few weeks ago I was admiring the fretless of one of the bands I was doing the sound for and it was only then that I was made aware what a Jaco bass looks like.

Reality is that if you're using something big/unusual/pretentious then people might make preconceptions - but this has very little to do with your instrument being unique or mass produced.

That said, of course you have to feel comfortable with it and if the one in however many chance of someone actually being aware of the instrument bothers you then fair enough - but it's certainly not a case of going on stage and everyone nudging one and other and pointing :)

[quote name='Johnzy' post='79361' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:08 PM']i dont think you get the point about the ibanez, its active!! passive humbuckers can be really good, but the cheap ones are often coupled with a active circuit to make them sound better.
basswood isnt my thing either.[/quote]

All I am going to say is for the money you have to spend, you won't find a better playing or sounding fretless than the ibanez or the Squier Modified, surely that matters more than looks.

You obviously have a very good idea what you want and I wish you luck in finding what you want.

[quote name='Johnzy' post='79316' date='Oct 25 2007, 11:59 AM']the squier is nice, but i just cant get round the idea of signature instruments. i dont want to buy a cheap copy of the jaco custom shop! when i turn up to gigs i dont want people thinking i wanna be jaco or even a budget version of him. i'm really opinionated on gear,[/quote]

Get over it mate, buy the best bass you can get for your money and let any ars*hole who thinks you wanna be Jaco likewise get over it. Life's to short :)
Chris
PS I just picked up a Bass Colection unlined fretless for £100 on the bay and it's the best fretless I've played in many a year. I'd keep your eye open there also.

cool!
maybe i've just heard too many stories!!!! you guys are right, but the pop world is just so jaded.
janek gwizdala told me when we met that he has missed pop/soul sessions because he doesnt use a ken smith. most of his pop work is done a p bass, but some producers have set ways and ideas. i dont ever want to be left out of a situation because of my gear.

Unfortunately the only way around that situation is to have lots of basses so that you can bring the appropriate one for the job. Also you could just as easily say that in orer to get a fretless gig you've got to have either a Jazz like Jaco, a Stingray like Pino or a Wal like Mick.

Alternatively do what the above mentioned and find your own voice (and bass) and be hired for that...

[quote name='Johnzy' post='79470' date='Oct 25 2007, 05:36 PM']cool!
maybe i've just heard too many stories!!!! you guys are right, but the pop world is just so jaded.
janek gwizdala told me when we met that he has missed pop/soul sessions because he doesnt use a ken smith. most of his pop work is done a p bass, but some producers have set ways and ideas. i dont ever want to be left out of a situation because of my gear.[/quote]

I think you're overthinking this. Go get a bass and play it a lot. Get good enough to be doing pro sessions, and then worry about what bass you have. So what if some guy was turned down 'cos he didn't have a Smith? From my limited experience, most producers like working with people who come in, do the job well, don't cause any problems and, as a bonus, are either fun to work with or add something to the session. If you can do all those, most producers won't give a **** what bass you play. Certainly, when you get there you might need a few bases, but you need to get there first.
Good luck
Chris

[quote name='Johnzy' post='79470' date='Oct 25 2007, 05:36 PM']cool!
janek gwizdala told me when we met that he has missed pop/soul sessions because he doesnt use a ken smith. most of his pop work is done a p bass, but some producers have set ways and ideas. i dont ever want to be left out of a situation because of my gear.[/quote]

So you're saying they judged him for NOT playing a stereotypical bass? And with this in mind, you're looking for something that no producers are going to recognise? I'm certainly not following your logic here - if you have a specific style in mind, maybe you really know what sort of bass you should be looking for?

Dave I think that you should get the bass that you want, not that you think people, be it the public or prospective hirers- will like you for having, because at the end of the day you have to play it, and you worked to pay for it, and you're never gonna be yourself with it if isn't the right one.

Alright Jay? You should have kept the Aria bass I sold you :-) that was a sweet fretless!

I built my own fretless bass from vintage components - which is what I'd suggest to you to do. You get what you want without it being anyone elses instrument. As it transpired my Fender is a bit of a carbon copy Jaco bass with a 68 body, 74 neck with re-laid ebony board, EMG pickups and a whole host of gigs under its belt. I think 99% of people don't give a sh1t what it looks like, when I play it it sounds good. Although this took a long time to get right!

I think you can take a decent body, something like a Geddy Lee and then get the right neck on it. I've found with fretlesses in particular that you have to try before you buy. There really is no point in buying from the internet, as 9 times out of 10 it's not going to be what you want.

I've got tons of vintage bits - about 3 full Precisions 74, 79 and 83, a Geddy Lee in bits as well as tuners, pickups and more. Give me a shout if you're looking for anything.

Hope the teaching is going well mate.

It's going really well actually! cheers for the tip-off, i did it all and all of it worked! ah the aria! now that was a bass.

I have a frankenfretless too, 89 japanese fender wood with 65 reissue pickups and a badarse, and it's stunning! Shame I let it down!