Why become a member? ×

DHA dual custom how to get it cutting through

philbillbass

i hav a DHA VT2 dual custom bass :

i was just wondering does anyone hav any good settings that wil help me to be heard more, as i find that with this on it tends to lose me in the mix as in our band we hav to guitarists to battle with.

also in which position is the clipping off (so that it is just the valve's doing their work)?

thanks

I don't have this pedal, so can't offer any real experience per se, but you seem to have your mids rolled off. This probably sounds nice on its own, but scooped mids in a band mix normally = bass getting lost. Your mids are vital for cutting through the guitars, try leaving them flat or boosting them a touch.

Dave's EQ circuits are usually based on the passive Fender Bassman design. If you turn the bass, middle and treble all the way off and your volume totally disappears that'll confirm it.

These circuits are very interactive. I've done some digging since Dave told me the design they're based on and got hold of a bit of software which displays graphically what happens when you turn each control. I'm beggered if I can remember where I found it (might even have been from a link on a Basschat thread). It shows that a flat response ISN'T all controls at the 12 o'clock position like you might have thought. A flat, non-eq'd response is obtained with the bass and treble at minimum and the mids almost max'd out.

PM me and I'll email you the software but also contact Dave (his ID is DHA here on Basschat) and I'm sure he'll be happy to provide further advice.

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='philbillbass' post='79283' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:53 AM']i hav a DHA VT2 dual custom bass :

i was just wondering does anyone hav any good settings that wil help me to be heard more, as i find that with this on it tends to lose me in the mix as in our band we hav to guitarists to battle with.

also in which position is the clipping off (so that it is just the valve's doing their work)?

thanks[/quote]

Hi,

Your 1>2 drive level is set very low?

This control sets the amount of overdrive there is as valve 1 drives valve 2. Try turning the level down and 1>2 up, might help.

The comments on the scooped mids are good as this will lose the frequencies needed to battle with the guitars.

Clip switch is centre off.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

[quote name='philbillbass' post='79706' date='Oct 26 2007, 10:46 AM']yeah the only reason i hav the 1>2 so low is that then i dont get a big increase in volume wen i step on the 1+2 thats all[/quote]

I understand.

What about the colour switch, is that off (centre position)?

Dave

[quote name='philbillbass' post='79715' date='Oct 26 2007, 11:07 AM']yeah it is
but what stevebasshead was saying about if i turn the bass treble and mid controls all the way down, wel it has the same volume on mine[/quote]

It should be a lot lower level and very weak and thin with the tone controls all turned to zero? But the circuit I use will not cut the level completely, as I said it's based on the fender bassman circuit but is not a copy.

There is a tone circuit by-pass switch which will mean that controls have no effect at all when in by-pass and there will be a big boost in level, did you try that?

Dave

I have the Rack version of this pedal... crank up the mids.. put the clip in the middle fat and treble on. On the 1st channel set as much gain as you feel happy with then when switching to both channels mix the gains (1>2) together until the point of feeback then just adjust the level setting.. owwww yeeaaaaaaa

Sounds EXACTLY like this but better ha! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0Lq3P6peU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0Lq3P6peU[/url]

Timface