Why become a member? ×

Fender cases - are they worth it?

Jamesemt

I've got a moulded case that I got with my Precision and it's shocking. It's the one with the moulded logo and not the red sticker one (I've got an old one with the red sticker for my strat which is actually very good) and it's falling to bits already. The lining - polystyrene and furry carpet is falling out and the two halves don't line up properly when you try and shut it.

When it finally falls to bits, I will buy another Hiscox.

If you want a tweed one, you'll probably find a copy for about 50 quid

[quote name='Sibob' post='79325' date='Oct 25 2007, 12:20 PM']My moulded logo fender case is great!
Survived numerous gigs and tours and still lines up! :)

Si[/quote]
+1
Had mine since the late '80's, gigged contunually and still going strong, although once left it in the sun and the top warped! I prefer the Hiscox tho'

my fender moulded logo case has lasted 4 years now and is good as new.

my hiscox case lasted about a year and fell apart.

both did the same tours and shows in that year.

however, the hiscox provides a lot more protection (when its in one piece).

I'm on the second moulded one after the one which came with my P was sent back to Fender-it was crap. One of the catches wasn't even put on straight-and not just a bit wonky, I mean [i]very[/i] wonky, the padding kept popping out and, the two halves didn't line up so it was a pain to shut. My local shop were very good and pestered the Fender rep for months until they finally got me a new one. The new one is better but when it dies it's a Hiscox for me too.

Hiscox cases are stronger than the Fender ones. I've compared both brands' cases side by side and just pushing down on the top of the cases alone there's a big noticable difference in how they flex. You can stand on the hiscox cases and they'll only bow slightly... i wouldn't dare stand on a fender case.

[quote name='NJW' post='79385' date='Oct 25 2007, 02:02 PM']my fender moulded logo case has lasted 4 years now and is good as new.

my hiscox case lasted about a year and fell apart.

both did the same tours and shows in that year.

however, the hiscox provides a lot more protection (when its in one piece).[/quote]

Don't Hiscox put a lifetime guarantee on their stuff?
They should have replaced that surely?

I couldnt have mine replaced because one of the latches has been tampered with by US Customs (they assumed the case was locked and so tried to cut it open, before realising it was unlocked afterall). This isn't what caused the damage to the case, but apparently i couldnt claim for a replacement as a result of the cutter marks on the metal.

The older Fender ABS cases were great. Oblong and tough, like the Musicman and Ricky cases. Then they changed to the guitar shaped cases which are of much thinner more fragile plastic and are completely rubbish. I sell mine for lots and buy a Hiscox for much cheaper and am quids in. I have had three Fender cases get splits in the plastic on flights but never have had any such problems with a Hiscox.

Guess it depends on whether you want protection or whether you need the origial logo'd hardcase.

Steve

Guest Bald Eagle

They come free with the bass, so better than nowt? I wouldn't buy one on it's own though. I'd use a bag with a zip and a pocket for your stuff. Everything wears after time so it's not really worth considering, oh unless it's vintage then wear is good, apparently.

The new Fender moulded cases certainly aren't as good as the old oblong ones. I believe they're made in China, so enough said. I keep a Musicman Sub in a Hiscox and have to say that it is a great quality British built case. The Hiscox guys are very helpful and provided me with a couple of pads to take up the slack in my case as the SUB had slight movement.

At the moment I'm looking for a period moulded Fender oblong case for my 1983 P-Bass. If anyone knows where I might get one let me know.